Home Main Category Personal Defense

Cost of getting a CCW?

2»

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Here in Washington, we pay $60 for the license; no class, just a background check. License comes in the mail in 3 and a half weeks. License is good for 5 years. Renewal is about $50 now.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    My wife and I are seriously considering getting our CCW. We've put it off for years mostly because we don't want the government to know any more about us than necessary. Now, with the craziness going on in the Colorado state legislature, now may be the time to act before it's too late.

We've looked into this, and see that it costs the following.

- $100 processing, payable in cash, money order or local county check.

- $52 CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) fee (for running a background check, I think), payable by cashier's check or money order only.

- Handgun traning certificate, which means that you have to take some sort of training and demonstrate competence with a handgun. For this, you have to find a certified instructor (not hard), and pay whatever that person charges for their course. From what I know, most such courses run around $80 per person.

All of which means one is looking at an outlay of about $250 just to get the permit, and wait for ever long how the background check takes. I know one person who has been waiting for several weeks for the check. Seems like they could be a lot faster than this.

Is this in line with what other states charge?

And please, hold the Colorado bashing to a minimum. We have a 2nd amendment forum for that. I'm really only interested in finding out whether or not these costs are in line with what other states charge.

Thanks,

In Wyoming you don't need a permit to carry concealed, But it makes it easier & faster when you buy a gun by eliminating the background check. And you can carry in other states.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    tchad78 wrote: »
    Wait, some states make you ask permission to carry? Glad I live in Vermont. My permit is being a law abiding American. Doesn't the second say "Shall not be infringed"?

Vermont, God bless Vermont.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,591 Senior Member
    Jerry, Bud just took his ccw course, yesterday. He paid $40 for the class, and said that the background check fees vary by county. He said that Mesa county is $100, but Delta county is $50.

Here, the BCI check is pretty much instant, I got my permit within 24 hours. $65 for the permit, BCI check is included. Ours is 12 hour class, and prices vary widely, depending on what's provided. From $75 to $200. The $200 classes are at indoor ranges, and everything is provided. Guns, ammo, eyes, ears, and lunch.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »
    Or be the first one to get shot!

This is a myth that's getting old. There is no credible evidence that this has EVER happened. We accuse the left of not looking at evidence, yet this BS always permeates SD discussions. I choose not to jump through hoops and pay to exercise a fundamental right, nor do I sacrifice any tactical advantage. I would argue that access to my weapon is not hindered by clothing, or fanny packs, or whatever concealment fad is all the rage this year.

Razorbacker: You cannot to equate terrorists targeting uniformed LEOs to open carriers. We don't wear banners that declare us as armed. :roll:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    PA is 21 dollars. Go to the Sherrifs office for the form, fill it out and return it. You should already know how to shoot before you get the permit so that is the fee for background check and lamination. 5 years and another 21 for renewal.

The fee is $20 state-wide by law. Some counties charge extra for additional services, like lamination, but I don't believe that is even legal. Follow instructions on the form for the exact amount. In Philly for example, payment can only be made in USPS money order and for the exact $20 amount. If you bring in a $21 money order, you'll have to go get another one before your application is accepted.

Some counties take 20 minutes, others take 8 to 10 weeks to issue. Also, you do not need to know how to shoot or own a gun to get a license in PA. I always advise anyone who consider buying a gun to get their license as soon as possible, especially in counties with long turn around time.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    Or be the first one to get shot!
    Right, the Israelis figured this out a long time ago when terrorists would shoot the uniformed cops on the bus first. I remember reading a story years ago about how armed citizens foiled an attack and the lone surviving terrorist was seriously pissed because no one warned him that little old ladies carried CCW.
    This is also one of the reasons that unless open carry were my only option to carry, I probably wouldn't. Carry openly that is.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's very true. I think I'll stick to concealed. I just thought the idea was cool.

I really, really, really wish you guys would stop perpetuating the "shoot me first" myth. There are absolutely no proofs that this has ever been the case.

The Israeli scenario is completely different. Those are planned attacks of guarded areas, not random robberies. I'm not sure which story that was, but the only one that I am aware of of a terrorist stopped by a civilian on the bus was this: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2811 . It was an Israeli man, not an old lady, living in the West Bank, where you are actually allowed to carry as a civilian (whereas you are virtually restricted from carrying if you live in less "dangerous" areas on Israel). Furthermore, there was no reports of the man carrying concealed or openly.

I opt to carry concealed mainly because I will likely be hassled by Philly cops and don't have time to deal with the headaches, but I am 100% for people carrying openly as long as they do it properly (using proper retention holster and can exercise retention techniques).

Carry whatever method works best for you, but don't perpetuate this factless myth.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    It is a buck for lamination in Butler county, that you can go without. But they do it right there and the ladies are always nice and it saves me aggravation. I figure that in all of these other states that you need to pay hundreds of dollars hoop diving, a buck to keep the card from getting funky is OK with me.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    It is a buck for lamination in Butler county, that you can go without. But they do it right there and the ladies are always nice and it saves me aggravation. I figure that in all of these other states that you need to pay hundreds of dollars hoop diving, a buck to keep the card from getting funky is OK with me.

No doubt it's worth it and you should do it. It's included in the $20 in most of the counties, including Philly, as far as I know. You can't even get an unlaminated one in Philly.

Al
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    I really, really, really wish you guys would stop perpetuating the "shoot me first" myth. There are absolutely no proofs that this has ever been the case. Carry whatever method works best for you, but don't perpetuate this factless myth. Al

When I stated about open carry person being first to get shot, I just felt that being a good possibility, thinking that would be the one I'd shoot first, if I was up to no good, and don't have proof of it happening, but guessing that it has happened? Not trying to perpetuate any myth.
    I don't get open carry though? Cops would mess with me, I'm sure! I guess it's like comparing it to playing cards. Why would you want to show your hand? In defense of open carry, maybe it has made a criminal decide not to do something wrong, but don't have proof of that either.
    Here's proof of a robbery victim being targeted because he open carried and got robbed of money and Gun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY&feature=related
    When I stated about open carry person being first to get shot, I just felt that being a good possibility, thinking that would be the one I'd shoot first, if I was up to no good, and don't have proof of it happening, but guessing that it has happened? Not trying to perpetuate any myth.
    I don't get open carry though? Cops would mess with me, I'm sure! I guess it's like comparing it to playing cards. Why would you want to show your hand? In defense of open carry, maybe it has made a criminal decide not to do something wrong, but don't have proof of that either.
    Here's proof of a robbery victim being targeted because he open carried and got robbed of money and Gun!

The one thing I learned my few the years of carrying guns, exercising your rights, being questioned, studying the issues in details, and all encompassing is that I should let facts speak, not my feelings. The facts on open carry speak for open carry and has dispelled a lot of the concerns. I'm very aware of the story you posted (I follow all open carry incidents very closely). It happened in Wisconsin in June 2010, before concealed carry was made legal (Oct 2011). The only option for anyone to carry in WI at that time was to open carry. There are many advantages to open carry, including deterrent. Criminals when picking random victims will go for the easiest target. I'm sure plenty of unsuspected concealed carriers have been robbed before and it hard to prove how many criminals avoided robbing someone carrying openly. Still, when you open carry, you have to be extra aware of your surrounding. Situation awareness is crucial in not letting yourself become a victim. Still, even the best of us can still fall victim. I'm sure plenty of unsuspected concealed carriers have been robbed before and it hard to prove how many criminals avoided robbing someone

Al
    I also don't like open carry, because of potential to irritate, and make people uncomfortable. It can be intimidating, especially to the anit's. I like discretion with ccw, and nobody needs to know who's carrying what! Their ignorance is bliss! I don't want to draw attention to myself.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member

Now where did it say that the man was targeted because he was open carrying?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »

Now where did it say that the man was targeted because he was open carrying?

Yes it did say it. The reporter said the victim said that open carry made him the target, and he will no longer do it. It was toward the end of the clip.
    I also don't like open carry, because of potential to irritate, and make people uncomfortable. It can be intimidating, especially to the anit's. I like discretion with ccw, and nobody needs to know who's carrying what! Their ignorance is bliss! I don't want to draw attention to myself.

I have open carried in the past and don't feel that I intimated anyone.Most didn't even notice.Or didn't say anything.

I think most of the intimidation people feel comes from the way people act and carry themselves not by what they have on their hip.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Your right it did say that,I should have watched it all the way through.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    There have been a few times where someone open carrying a firearm was attacked because of it. There have also been times where someone was open carrying and the criminal went somewhere else or waited until that person left to do his thing. We know this because the criminals have admitted to such yet we have very little evidence of it because in general the criminals do not dial 911 to claim they did not commit a crime due to someone open carrying.

It would seem that the evidence suggests that the bad guy will most likely go elsewhere or wait until that person open carrying leaves intead of targetting him first.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 785 Senior Member
    For me in Minnesota, the class is free, put on by my county Sheriff and for new licenses its $100 and then renewals are $10

This I can accept.
    Yes it did say it. The reporter said the victim said that open carry made him the target, and he will no longer do it. It was toward the end of the clip.

Ahhh...see, just because the reporter said it, it doesn't mean that it was true. It's a speculation and since the robber was never caught, no one knows why he was targeted.
    There have been a few times where someone open carrying a firearm was attacked because of it. There have also been times where someone was open carrying and the criminal went somewhere else or waited until that person left to do his thing. We know this because the criminals have admitted to such yet we have very little evidence of it because in general the criminals do not dial 911 to claim they did not commit a crime due to someone open carrying.

It would seem that the evidence suggests that the bad guy will most likely go elsewhere or wait until that person open carrying leaves intead of targetting him first.

If you include the police as the attackers, then there has been more than a few times. If you don't include the police, there has only been 1 incident I'm aware of (above) and I follow OC incidents nearly religiously.

Al
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    If this is useful to anyone....

Sitting here looking at my State of Wisconsin CCW Application...

50 dollars: 35 for background check; 15 dollars for printing of CCW ID, if approved.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
    steffen19k wrote: »
    If this is useful to anyone....

Sitting here looking at my State of Wisconsin CCW Application...

50 dollars: 35 for background check; 15 dollars for printing of CCW ID, if approved.

CCW Reciprocity states are as follows:

Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Georgia Hawaii Idaho Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Michigan Minnesota Nebraska New York North Carolina
    North Dakota Pennsylvania Tennessee Texas Utah Washington Wyoming Puerto Rico U.S. Virgin Islands

You need to clarify that list. Those are NOT reciprocity states. Those are states with permits/licenses that WI will honor. You cannot use your WI permit in many of those states, especially PR, VI, MD, CA, HI, and NY (I didn't go through 1 by 1, but double check the others too). Use the license map on usacarry.com or handgunlaw.us.

Al
    You need to clarify that list. Those are NOT reciprocity states. Those are states with permits/licenses that WI will honor. You cannot use your WI permit in many of those states, especially PR, VI, MD, CA, HI, and NY (I didn't go through 1 by 1, but double check the others too). Use the license map on usacarry.com or handgunlaw.us.

Al

This is what Wisconsin DoJ says:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

Not much help, but that is what it says. How you choose to use it is up to you.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
    steffen19k wrote: »
    This is what Wisconsin DoJ says:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

Not much help, but that is what it says. How you choose to use it is up to you.

That's not what the link said. The larger heading is "CCW Reciprocity". The sub headings clearly stated "Permit(s) Honored In Wisconsin". You mislabeled the list as "CCW Reciprocity states are as follows: " which is incorrect.

It is critical that you post information in its entirety or correctly label the information. Abridging incorrectly can have dire legal consequences. It's best posting the link alone even.
    Al
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    I notice from the Wisconsin DOJ cite that they don't recognize VA resident permits, but do recognize VA NON-resident permits, and W VA licenses issued or renewed after 6/28/12. And it seems that TN is the only state, right now, that has actual reciprocity with WI (both states honoring the other's permit.) Kinda interesting...
    Overkill is underrated.
    I notice from the Wisconsin DOJ cite that they don't recognize VA resident permits, but do recognize VA NON-resident permits, and W VA licenses issued or renewed after 6/28/12. And it seems that TN is the only state, right now, that has actual reciprocity with WI (both states honoring the other's permit.) Kinda interesting...

Steffen,
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this is the key and I'm glad Bream posted this. I bolded the key words there. "Reciprocity" without a qualifying word means honoring each other's permit. As Bream posted, TN is the only one that has "reciprocity" with WI. There are 3 types: formal written reciprocity agreements, statutory reciprocity (no written agreement), and unilateral reciprocity. It's imperative that the readers/permit holders separate the last category with the first 2. The absolute best thing to do is to know in more commonly understood terms "States that honor XYZ permit" and "Permits that XYZ state honors".

Al
    Steffen,
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this is the key and I'm glad Bream posted this. I bolded the key words there. "Reciprocity" without a qualifying word means honoring each other's permit. As Bream posted, TN is the only one that has "reciprocity" with WI. There are 3 types: formal written reciprocity agreements, statutory reciprocity (no written agreement), and unilateral reciprocity. It's imperative that the readers/permit holders separate the last category with the first 2. The absolute best thing to do is to know in more commonly understood terms "States that honor XYZ permit" and "Permits that XYZ state honors".

Al

Fair enough. I fixed my post.
  • DaveWDaveW New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    HI guy's ...I live in Highland, Indiana....I've had a cc lifetime permit for about 5 1/2 years now and previously had the usual ccpermit that had to be renewed every 4 years......have had one type or the other going on about 40 years now.........I think the 4 year permit ran about 45 bucks and the lifetime cost me near 90 buck......a big saveings since its a one time shot.
    with the 4 year permit i USED to be able to walk in a store and laydown my payment and after filling out the proper paperwork walk out with my hand gun/ rifle or whatever in my hand.....don't know if it takes longer now with updated laws or not. Am an avid shooter and actually have'nt made any purchasces in about 7-8 years....got all kindsa calibres and all of my wepons are scoped .....i only do TARGET shooting no shotguns....... Was on the squadron target shooting team while in the Air Furce ....never had to take any civilian course to get my gun permits........