Home Main Category Hunting

Hunting load - got enough bullets for sure

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
I have now 720 160gr Speer Hot core SBT bullets for my 7mm08.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    If you want to sell some, let me know. They would be great in my .280 or my 7 Mag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Not wanting to sell any. This gives me enough to shoot and hunt with for a couple of years.
    Not wanting to sell any. This gives me enough to shoot and hunt with for a couple of years.

I need to keep looking for the perfect bullet for my 7 mag. While the 160 grain HP BT Sierra Game Kings are accurate beyond my capabilities, I haven't killed anything with them yet. I need to shoot a hog with one and see how it penetrates and expands. The hollow point worries me.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I need to keep looking for the perfect bullet for my 7 mag. While the 160 grain HP BT Sierra Game Kings are accurate beyond my capabilities, I haven't killed anything with them yet. I need to shoot a hog with one and see how it penetrates and expands. The hollow point worries me.

No reason to be worried. They will expand fine and also will exit more than likely every time leaving a great blood trail if needed, but they will most of the time drop where you shoot the hog, trust me, they are real killers and tougher than their SBT G/K or Pro hunter.
    No reason to be worried. They will expand fine and also will exit more than likely every time leaving a great blood trail if needed, but they will most of the time drop where you shoot the hog, trust me, they are real killers and tougher than their SBT G/K or Pro hunter.

That's good to know. How bout on larger game? Elk maybe?

I have hit mule deer, whitetails, 350 pound boar, and one black bear with this bullet out of a 7mm Rem mag and all were exits. In fact the 165gr out of my 30-06 exited a bear at 90 yds and he jumped in the air and when he landed back down, that is where he stayed. I have no doubt it will take an elk out of a 7mm Rem mag.
    I have hit mule deer, whitetails, 350 pound boar, and one black bear with this bullet out of a 7mm Rem mag and all were exits. In fact the 165gr out of my 30-06 exited a bear at 90 yds and he jumped in the air and when he landed back down, that is where he stayed. I have no doubt it will take an elk out of a 7mm Rem mag.

That's what I wanna hear! Then I have an elk load already, because that load is fast and accurate.
    That's what I wanna hear! Then I have an elk load already, because that load is fast and accurate.

It will kill that elk. If me and my friends have used 165gr Game king SBT's and killed elk I assure you the 160gr HPBT in a 7mm Rem mag will do it even better.
    I put a 165gr HPBT out of a 300Wby mag moving just over 3300fps through an 8 inch laminated beam from a construction sight at 25yds and it went through the beam leaving a 50 cent perfect size exit hole and still was able to recover from the berm the bottom half of that bullet 75yds down range. Don't worry about the 160gr HPBT, it won't let you down if you put the bullet where it is suppose to go.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,583 Senior Member
    I have killed elk with SGK's-Performed just fine
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have killed elk with SGK's-Performed just fine

Makes me feel very confident in my load coming from somebody that's killed more elk than I'll probably ever see.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,555 Senior Member
    I have now 720 160gr Speer Hot core SBT bullets for my 7mm08.
    You sure you're not loading for a weekend for CPJ?
    Overkill is underrated.
    I put a 165gr HPBT out of a 300Wby mag moving just over 3300fps through an 8 inch laminated beam from a construction sight at 25yds and it went through the beam leaving a 50 cent perfect size exit hole and still was able to recover from the berm the bottom half of that bullet 75yds down range. Don't worry about the 160gr HPBT, it won't let you down if you put the bullet where it is suppose to go.

Well with this load there's going to be no problem doing that. It's about the most accurate of all my rifles. It and the two quarter bores are very accurated.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Those bullets might get you through the summer, try to save a few for hunting season. LOL
    Now that is funny rifleman:jester:

The following is new stuff on top of what I already have for two of my guns, the 7mm08 and the 3006:grin:
    300 Nosler 180gr BT Combined Technologies
    720 Speer 160gr Hot Core SBT
    1500 30-06 Win brass
    1300 Fed 210 Primers
    30-06 Redding die set (new)
    7mm08 Hornady Custom die set (new)
    400 Rem brass 7mm08

I think I can shoot my favorite loads for these two cartridges for a while and have plenty to hunt with if I discipline myself the rest of this spring and summer. :uhm::jester: