Home Main Category General Firearms

Got it!

1911fan1911fan MemberPosts: 193 Member
Well, between Gunbroker and you guys, I convinced my wife to at least go to Scheels and handle the thing. One thing that helped is that her best friend wanted to go to a yoghurt shop right out Scheel's back door.

So, we agree to meet there, wife and I run up to the gun department, grab a gun guy to unlock the case and put the gun in her hand. Her whole face changed. "It fits," she said. Like Baby Bear's oatmeal, it was just right...

Brady took about five minutes, during which time we grabbed a couple of speedloaders and a nice gun rug. Brady, speedloaders, gun rug, and tax=right about four bills. They even found the serial numbered box with the paperwork.

Wife's happy, I'm happy, Scheel's made money, what's not to like?

At least, now she has something we both feel comfortable about.

AND I GET MY RUGER BACK!!!

Many thanks and if you want to see what it looks like, go to GunBroker and look at Auction number 248640546. I'm away from home with only a cellphone and a laptop with no connection cable, so I can't post a photo right now.

Muchas Gracias

ed
Fat, white, sixty, unemployed and just DIGGIN' on this "Change" thing!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    1911fan wrote: »
    I'm away from home with only a cellphone and a laptop with no connection cable, so I can't post a photo right now.

Muchas Gracias

ed
    Congrats... and of course :yousuck:

We're willing to delay the fine until you have a chance to get home. But don't wait too long after getting there or besides the fine for not having the pic, we'll also have to tack on a "late fee" :tooth: :jester:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,340 Senior Member
    Congrats, anytime you get a firearm the wife is happy with, it's a good thing indeed. I had a nice standard profile 4" model 10 some years ago that I really enjoyed shooting.
    Ended up giving it to my dads wife for her bedside gun. A duty it performs to this day. I suspect you will be very happy with yours as well.

Sako
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member

Brady, speedloaders, gun rug, and tax=right about four bills. They even found the serial numbered box with the paperwork.

Congratulations!...but you still owe the 5 buck no pic fine...

Anyway, I gotta ask...did the store really charge you to run the Brady check?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Brady? Oh, yeah, $25.

Due to some shenannigans down in Vegas, the State of Nevada no longer accepts a CCL in lieu of a background check.

They probably won't take a C&R either:angry:.

Cost of doin' bidness, I guess.

As Bartles and James used to say, "We thank you for your support."

ed
    Brady? Oh, yeah, $25.

ed

To make a stinking phone call! kboom.gif What a huuuuuuggggeeee steaming pile of bshit.gif

Jesus, I hate that...just for the record, none of my dealers has EVER charged me a dime for doing the NICS check....

They may as well just add 25 bucks to the cost of every gun in the case.

Does anyone else get hosed in this manner?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,340 Senior Member
    Seem to recall the last purchase from Cabelas included a $3.00 charge for the call. I don't think I have payed a fee anywhere else.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    To make a stinking phone call! kboom.gif What a huuuuuuggggeeee steaming pile of CRAP!

Jesus, I hate that...just for the record, none of my dealers has EVER charged me a dime for doing the NICS check....

They may as well just add 25 bucks to the cost of every gun in the case.

Does anyone else get hosed in this manner?

Tell me about it. I'm stuck with that BS now, too. Automatically increase the price of any good deal you find on a gun by $25, non-negotiable dollars to the State of Nevada in addition to the sales tax they rake in on the sale. But hey, you can get up to 3 guns under one check fee if you happen to be buying three at the same time. Takes away the sting a bit. :roll:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    First off, you suck! I love a good Smith revolver, and your's definitely counts!

Second thought, man am I glad that I live in TEXAS. No fee for a NICS check, and if you can show a current CHL you don't have to do the phone call at all.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I'm stuck with that BS now, too. Automatically increase the price of any good deal you find on a gun by $25, non-negotiable dollars to the State of Nevada in addition to the sales tax they rake in on the sale. But hey, you can get up to 3 guns under one check fee if you happen to be buying three at the same time. Takes away the sting a bit. :roll:

What the hell does the State of Nevada have to do with it? It's a FEDERAL program...The Feds take the call and approve or disapprove! State doesn't have anything to do with it!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    What the hell does the State of Nevada have to do with it? It's a FEDERAL program...The Feds take the call and approve or disapprove! State doesn't have anything to do with it!

I know the program is federal (and it sucks), but the capital gains on the fees apparently go to the state (or so that's how my local dealer tells it). Maybe I got this wrong, but I thought the State was responsible for deciding whether or not to allow the CCW to stand in lieu of the fee and my dealer told me that the State pockets that money. In Nebraska, the state would charge you $5 for a "handgun purchase card" that effectively exempted you from any further fees and background checks for 3 years. After that time, you renewed the card for the same price.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Here in KS and in MI, your CCW exempts you from the NICS check, but those that don't have a CCW don't get hosed for the NICS....I'm betting the money goes into the dealers pockets...
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Glad it all worked out, cool.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Congrats.
    But I'm confused, did they have the gun at your LGS or did they have to buy it/ship it from Gun-broker?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    Don't know if I can find it again, but it is in the NCIS language that you cannot charge a fee for it!

(edit) Well, the FBI can't charge a fee for it. Some states don't go thru the FBI's system.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Cheif--

Saw it (S&W M10-8 HB) at Scheel's on Saturday:love:.

Came back to the room, paid $5.66 per day for internet access, then priced the gun on Gunbroker. Showed wife what I'd found out--$300 at Scheel's, $fiveish on GB.

Posted query on Sunday morning. Responses were rapid and positive.

Sunday afternoon, we went back to Scheel's and bought it.

I posted the GB auction number because it has some great photos and I was trying to weasel out of a $5.00 fine:jester:.

I'm sure GB's pieces were just as fine as frog hair, I just grabbed the bird in the hand locally.

Clearer now?

ed