Home Main Category Hunting

New Arrow-Slinging Critter-Gitter

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
HoytCarbonElementG3_zps90528694.jpg

After 7 years, I've finally decided to move onward and upward in the archery arena from my Hoyt Vulcan XT500. Tonight, I picked up my new bow from the LBS:

- Hoyt Carbon Element G3 (lefty)
- Carbon fiber riser
- 3.6 lbs.
- 30" Axle-to-axle
- 6.75" brace height
- Limbs range 55-65lbs. (set at 65lb. draw weight)
- Max ATA speed = 332 fps (chronied at 275 fps with my 28" draw length and Beman ICS Hunter arrow setup w/ 100 gr. field tips)

All I can say is "WOW!" This is far and away the lightest, most vibration-free setup I've ever shot. It's got a slightly longer brace height than my old Vulcan, coming in .75" lengthier, making for a more forgiving shot. If all goes as planned, I'll be using the new Carbon Element when I return to Nebraska for a Spring turkey hunt.

I pretty much transferred all of my accessories over to the new bow, save for the new rest. It's a QAD Ultra-Rest Pro, though that was not my original choice. I intended to simply upgrade to the latest Ripcord rest from the previous one I owned since the newer ones incorporate some good silencing materials. Unfortunately, after installing two separate samples of the newest Ripcord model, BOTH were defective and failed to reliably drop away. Yeah, I have some re-fletching to do because of this, but the good news is that the QAD I chose instead, while significantly more expensive, is 100% made in the USA. :up:

I really can't wait to take this puppy afield.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,113 Senior Member
    very nice. I got to put a couple of arrows down range with one very similar last spring at a dealer demo day at a local archery shop. Have to say, I was impressed. I know very little about archery but I picked that bow up and put 3 shots on target at 20ish yards.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    very nice. I got to put a couple of arrows down range with one very similar last spring at a dealer demo day at a local archery shop. Have to say, I was impressed. I know very little about archery but I picked that bow up and put 3 shots on target at 20ish yards.

Sako

I shot many arrows at paper targets for years. Until this past deer season, I had never sucessfully gotten an animal with my bow. It's addictive as you can imagine. I have trouble shaking the idea of going out with a bow this deer season, even though I already have too much planned in the way of other hunts. For now, the turkey hunt will have to do.

Take a gmable on an archery tag when you get the chance. If you score, you're going to have another hobby to feed.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Wow. That's one bad bow! I've been afraid to try one out, I fear that I might like it better than my Bowtech Invasion.
    Nice score! That's a great rest, also. I have the same one. Mine's been on the bow for two years, with nary a problem.
    If you decide to upgrade your sights, check out the Axcel Armortech HD. Awesome.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Wow. That's one bad bow! I've been afraid to try one out, I fear that I might like it better than my Bowtech Invasion.
    Nice score! That's a great rest, also. I have the same one. Mine's been on the bow for two years, with nary a problem.
    If you decide to upgrade your sights, check out the Axcel Armortech HD. Awesome.

Great to hear that the QAD rest should be troublefree. The last thing I need is for a stuck rest to shank the hell out of a shot at the moment of truth!

I put about 60 shots through this bow last night (very little of it on target, as I was tuning and making gross adjustments to the sights) and I gotta say that this is amazing bow to handle after you've been shooting a bow with much lower letoff, shorter brace height and heavier overall weight for the better part of a decade. It's the 3rd generation of this particular series, so hopefully I won't see any bugs along the way. I'm counting on it for a hunt next month, so it's now or never.

It's funny you mention Bowtech. That's one brand I've at least wanted to handle, but for the life of me, have not been able to find a dealer in the last two towns I've lived in. They have some very forward-thinking designs. I have to be able to at least handle one at some point in my life.

That Axcel Armortech is a sick looking sight setup. I absolutely LOVE how skinny the pins are at the viewing point. That helps alleviate the clutter that most of the multi-pin sights have. Right now, I'm running Apex Gamechanger. It's good, but not great. The best feature is the brightness of the fiberoptics, but the pins are fairly delicate and not terrible well crafted. I'll have to give the Axcel offering a look.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Turkeys beware, all this talk of archery turkey hunting has me anxious to try this season, starts April 1 here in KS. I have launched arrows at them during fall deer hunts but never during the Spring season. It seems to me to be one of the hardest animals to collect on the ground with a bow. Any one have any any broadhead recommendations?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    No turkeys in Miami Enzo... but if you hunt north of here there are Osceolas. At least you can shoot a bow at a target in the city limits without a fine or arrest.

Looks like a fine setup ... I can't wait for the field report.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    That is a rather fancy stick and string!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I got back out today to send a boatload of arrows downrange, per prescription of my local archery pro. He wanted at least 100 shots through the bow and then he wanted it back for final tuning. The goal of this is to get the strings and cables to stretch to their final position so that he can re-time the cams. Between yesterday and today, I'm certain I met his requested shot count and then some. I shot until my arm felt like was going to fall off. Despite my fatigue, by the end I could tell that the timing had gone out, as many shots were starting to go high. That's the opposite of what typically happens to my shots when I fatigue, as they almost always start going low when my arms starts dropping too early. When it put the bow in the timing table, it was way out of time - at least 3/8" - and he set to getting it set properly. He also made some small adjustments to the "Air Shox" (Hoyt's new silencers that a re detached from the limbs) to make them even quieter. It will be ready for pickup tomorrow.
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Turkeys beware, all this talk of archery turkey hunting has me anxious to try this season, starts April 1 here in KS. I have launched arrows at them during fall deer hunts but never during the Spring season. It seems to me to be one of the hardest animals to collect on the ground with a bow. Any one have any any broadhead recommendations?

A ground blind works very well as, unlike deer, turkeys could care less if there's a blind in the middle of a field that wasn't there the day prior. I would definitely go after some of those Kansas birds, especially if you can secure some good private land.
    cpj wrote: »
    Nice! You mention let off, I never cared for the 80% ones. It was just too light. I can hold a 65% more steady.

The letoff difference seems to be an inevitable part of the evolution for the high-end bows these days. I couldn't even find a 65% in this end of the market, regardless of the maker.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Wow that is an awesome stick sling!!!!! Now you got me thinking... I almost pulled the trigger last year on a new Matthews but my wife injected some sanity into my brain and she's making me wait until I figure out where I'm spending the next few years... But I'm getting the itch again and THIS did not help... :devil:

[enabler]The shop I use is both a Hoyt and Matthews dealer. He has samples of the Heli-M and Creed laying around the place and they are NICE freaking bows! About the same weight as mine, just in an aluminum riser. I think you would love one of them![/enabler]
    Zee wrote: »
    That is a rather fancy stick and string!

Thanks! I'm really starting to dig the look of it. It's very "viney," sort of like something Poison Ivy from Batman would use if she suddenly decided to take up archery instead of harassing the Dark Knight.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Really nice bow indeed
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's funny you mention Bowtech. That's one brand I've at least wanted to handle, but for the life of me, have not been able to find a dealer in the last two towns I've lived in. They have some very forward-thinking designs. I have to be able to at least handle one at some point in my life.

That Axcel Armortech is a sick looking sight setup. I absolutely LOVE how skinny the pins are at the viewing point. That helps alleviate the clutter that most of the multi-pin sights have. Right now, I'm running Apex Gamechanger. It's good, but not great. The best feature is the brightness of the fiberoptics, but the pins are fairly delicate and not terrible well crafted. I'll have to give the Acxel offering a look.
    That Hoyt is the only I haven't tried, I've heard great things about it.
    You nailed it about the Axcel sight, super skinny pins, and all the adjustments are on spindles or gears, so you don't have to tap them around with your fingers. It's also lighted, no worries about shooting in low light!
    Really nice bow indeed

Thank you, sir. Today I was able to get it out again and my LBS had it tuned up and re-timed since getting the stretch out of the string. I put probably another 80 shots through it. To say it shoots amazingly well now would be an understatement. I was in fear of finishing a 5-shot group at 20 yards for fear that I was going to Robin Hood an arrow. I shot well into my fatigue window and what's crazy is that I wasn't seing the dramatic drop in my shots that I usually do when my form starts to slip up. I wasn't as steady later in the session as is normal, but this bow is definitely a LOT more forgiving. The groups opened up and the shots weren't landing right on top of one another anymore, but I was not getting the drop in overall shot groups I grew accustomed to seeing with my old bow. Strange...but a very welcome change!
    jbohio wrote: »
    That Hoyt is the only I haven't tried, I've heard great things about it.
    You nailed it about the Axcel sight, super skinny pins, and all the adjustments are on spindles or gears, so you don't have to tap them around with your fingers. It's also lighted, no worries about shooting in low light!

Oh, I cannot wait to get a sight that uses those spindles instead of trying to dork around with allen screws an a whole lot of eyeball guess work to make pin adjustments. I think my LBS stocks that particular sight you recommended, so come next payday, I may be going that route. Also great toh ear that it's lighted. One question: is the factory light that comes with it worth a lick? The one on my Apex Gamechanger was about worthless. I bought a Spot Hogg replacement with a rheostatic brightness control and it's awesome now, it just sucks that the factory light was so crappy.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Sounds like this bow will pay off for you even after a whole day in the field, you will be able to still get a good shot off with this bow and that is great. Awesome looking bow!!
    That sounds about right. At least I know for sure that if I miss, it's me an not the tackle. It's amazing the difference the timing and tuning can make. Chances are, my old bow was in need of another timing job shortly before I got this new one. If you have an old bow that's never been re-timed, I highly suggest you take it in and see if it needs a correction. If it does, chances are you have a much better bow than you realized. Even on my brand new bow, the difference before and after is like night and day.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    Spam reported
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I should've gotten a pic of a group while I was setting zero at 20 yards yesterday, but I failed to do so. I got a pic in my back yard of this group at 15 yards, but either way, it's hardly worth noting for this bow. If it's shooting anything other than shaft-clacking, fletch-ripping groups at that distance, it's all user error. As soon as I get the time, I'm going to take it out to 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards to see how it does.

HoytCarbonElementG3-15yardgroup_zps0f8bdd2a.jpg
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,866 Senior Member
    Well, you still need some work until you split the first arrow.
    NN wrote: »
    Well, you still need some work until you split the first arrow.

Hopefully, that DOES NOT happen given that I only have so many arrows to practice and hunt with and my turkey hunt is only 3 weeks away. It would be cool, but painfully mistimed.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    When I was shooting daily it got to the point I could not shoot for groups. Too much damage to expensive shafts by smacking into one another. I also didn't bother shooting less than 30 yards and mostly just a couple of shots to warm up and move to 45-50+. Oh how I miss having land...

Yep. When you start shooting at 40-50 yards regularly, a 30-yard shot is hardly a challenge. A 3- or 5-spot target is your friend when you go for "groups" by comparing hits relative to the bullseye, especially when you can't shoot at longer range. Unfortunately for me, stuck in this urban hell with a cinder block enclosure for a backyard, a 15-yard target setup is about all I get unless I drive accross town to the outdoor range. Without a larger/more forgiving backstop in my backyard, I'd rather stay on the side of busting off fletchings (since I'm set up to re-fletch) by shooting groups into the center bullseye versus shooting toward the edge spots on my Block and risking a dead-on impact with the wall in the event that I have brainfart and shank a shot. So far with this bow, shooting groups has resulted in at least one arrow needing a re-fletch after each shooting session. However, those edge spots are only about 3" from the edge of the block; that makes me nervous. Of course, if I Robin Hood an arrow, I'm out two shafts...
    I'm too aftraid to reuse a shaft after it takes an abrupt hit like that. One small crack in the shaft of a carbon arrow can result in a blow-up and than can be a real doozy if a shard from said blow-up ends up in your hand.
    CEarrow310-21-04.jpg
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    HoytCarbonElementG3_zps90528694.jpg

After 7 years, I've finally decided to move onward and upward in the archery arena from my Hoyt Vulcan XT500. Tonight, I picked up my new bow from the LBS:

- Hoyt Carbon Element G3 (lefty)
    - Carbon fiber riser
    - 3.6 lbs.
    - 30" Axle-to-axle
    - 6.75" brace height
    - Limbs range 55-65lbs. (set at 65lb. draw weight)
    - Max ATA speed = 332 fps (chronied at 275 fps with my 28" draw length and Beman ICS Hunter arrow setup w/ 100 gr. field tips)

All I can say is "WOW!" This is far and away the lightest, most vibration-free setup I've ever shot. It's got a slightly longer brace height than my old Vulcan, coming in .75" lengthier, making for a more forgiving shot. If all goes as planned, I'll be using the new Carbon Element when I return to Nebraska for a Spring turkey hunt.

I pretty much transferred all of my accessories over to the new bow, save for the new rest. It's a QAD Ultra-Rest Pro, though that was not my original choice. I intended to simply upgrade to the latest Ripcord rest from the previous one I owned since the newer ones incorporate some good silencing materials. Unfortunately, after installing two separate samples of the newest Ripcord model, BOTH were defective and failed to reliably drop away. Yeah, I have some re-fletching to do because of this, but the good news is that the QAD I chose instead, while significantly more expensive, is 100% made in the USA. :up:

I really can't wait to take this puppy afield.

This is the only reason I would own a bow. Bow hunting doesn't usually turn my crank. But there's something about bow hunting turkey and even geese that tweeks my strings. Otherwise, like I always tell my bow hunter son in law, even the indians quite using them in favor of the Winchester 150 years ago (Please forgive me Uncle Ted!)....

:silly::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.