Home Main Category General Firearms

Marlin X7 Comments

HondoHondo MemberPosts: 320 Member
I read some reviews a couple of months ago on this rifle. Seems everyone was shooting MOA with factory stuff. Has anyone shot one of these rifles, and if so what were your impressions? Seems too good to be true for a $400 rifle.

Replies

• 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member Posts: 224 Member
    i fired one once, it seemed pretty decent. got a good size group. also, at least on the one i fired, the trigger was kind of gritty.
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    Hondo wrote: »
    I read some reviews a couple of months ago on this rifle. Seems everyone was shooting MOA with factory stuff. Has anyone shot one of these rifles, and if so what were your impressions? Seems too good to be true for a $400 rifle.

Shooting MOA with a new rifle and decent factory ammo is not rare anymore. In the PMF (have these people never heard of a backup?), I had posted a review of the Marlin XS-7 that I acquired earlier this year. On its first outing, with nothing more than couple patches through the barrel to make sure there was nothing in it, I immediately saw that it would be a shooter. Using factory BHA Red box that I had on hand, I zeroed the scope and proceded to shoot a 3-shot group that was easily under an inch. (I don't do barrel break-ins, I'm not insane.)

I was so pleased with the rifle, I bought a Boyds stock for it. Here is what it looks like:

DSC_0487.jpg

The review I wrote was fairly extensive and in it I explained the some of the aspects that I really liked about the rifle, especially at its price point. I got one in .308 Winchester (I didn't get it in .270, I'm not insane,) and I put a Nikon on it. The trigger is quite nice, very smooth with little to no creep and just a tad of overtravel. Since this is not a match gun, I see no reason to mess with the trigger but it is adjustable. The barrel has a target crown, which I found surprising but very welcome. The bolt is incredibly smooth. The fit and finish is very plain; this is a working gun, not a presentation piece, although the Boyds really does make it look good. I paid $380 for the rifle, out the door and I think that makes it an incredible value.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Hondo wrote: »

...the Weatherby Vanguards & S2's (MOA guaranteed) do it consistently for about $60 more, but for that $60 you get a better trigger design, a floor plate instead of a blind mag, a 3-position safety, better fit/ finish...
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Thanks for the info guys.....I could see one in my future
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...the Weatherby Vanguards & S2's (MOA guaranteed) do it consistently for about $60 more, but for that $60 you get a better trigger design, a floor plate instead of a blind mag, a 3-position safety, better fit/ finish...

This may all be true, but in the Marlin, it's made in America, By Americans, for Americans, and it's an old American Company. Should I need another store bought rifle, it will be built in America.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I just bought one off the bargain rack at the LGS to use as a donor action for a rebarrel of some type, and it looks like a cross between a Savage and a Remington 700. It's got Marlin's version of an accutrigger. No range time yet, so I can't say how it shoots. I might even shoot it a little in the original chambering, before I make that .270 barrel a fence post. (Just funnin' ya, Snake!)
    Jerry
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Let us know how it shoots in the stock trim.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I might even shoot it a little in the original chambering, before I make that .270 barrel a fence post. (Just funnin' ya, Snake!)
    Jerry

Not even suitable for a fence post?
    No Paul, what he means is that would be the best damn fence post on the whole place. But he's only funnin. See Jerry is a very knowledgeable gun smith and he knows a good thing when he sees it, :rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    got my wife the youth model .5 MOA, ordered me one for a knock around bolt gun, super accurate for the money
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I just bought one off the bargain rack at the LGS to use as a donor action for a rebarrel of some type, and it looks like a cross between a Savage and a Remington 700. It's got Marlin's version of an accutrigger. No range time yet, so I can't say how it shoots. I might even shoot it a little in the original chambering, before I make that .270 barrel a fence post. (Just funnin' ya, Snake!)
    Jerry

What if it turns out to be a .270 caliber tack driver, will you keep it as issued?:jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What if it turns out to be a .270 caliber tack driver, will you keep it as issued?:jester:

Hmmmm- - - - - -good idea, Chief- - - - - -we've got some feral cats around the barn. Don't know if I'd want to take on something a tough as a groundhog, though!
    :jester::jester::jester:
    Jerry
    Yeah yeah yeah, whatever! Get some rat shot for it!

:yesno: :rotflmao: