Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

The assault weapons ban is dead

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,462 Senior Member
Well, it may have a weak pulse, but it appears to be too far gone to be revived!

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/assault-weapon-ban-for-gun-control-loses-steam-89046.html#ixzz2NwXwGNhn
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I'll call that good news when I can buy .22 Mag ammo again...
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    We can't take our packs of yet because there is still the evil
    amendment process to deal with.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I read the article and what does it mean by amendment? Amend what?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's a sneaky way to slip in a law that can't pass on its own merits- - - -tack it on to another piece of legislation that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand, maybe as an addition to a budget bill, or something else we might not notice. It's usually done late at night, with no discussion or debate. Typical sneaky dummycrap manipulations!
    Jerry
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    That's what I thought. I guess we just need to hope someone is reading everything up there.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    It ain't over until the fat lady (DiFi) sings.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    This is far from over. Nothing has happened that was not expected, and the Democrat leadership are past masters at getting everyone to 'drop their guards,' and then slipping something insidious through, in the dead of night, over long weekends, holidays, etc. If they can slip Obamacare through without even having the bill written, they can do some nasty stuff with this one, too. The snake to watch is Harry Reid, who the NRA gave a 'B' rating before his last re-election bid. He is a sneaky bastige that delights in picking everyone's pocket after they think he's given up.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    I have been saying that they will at the last minute attach gun control to a budget resolution at the last moment and shove it down our throat.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    It's not over. Too many wimpy closet liberals in the senate. Not enough "wacko birds" as McCain calls them, like Ted Cruz. BTW, about Ted Cruz from Guns and Patriots:

"Cruz is part of the hard core around which the Senate GOP is forming. Like other members of this core, Cruz was opposed by the Republican establishment and generally the liberal media agrees with Sen. John S. McCain III (R-Ariz.), who called him one of the "wacko-birds."

What you might not know is that Cruz law clerked for Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Renhquist. Later, he drafted the amicus brief signed by 31 state attorneys general and submitted to the Supreme Court in support of Dick Heller, the namesake of the landmark Heller gun rights decision. In fact, before his election to the Senate, Cruz served as the Texas solicitor general.

This is a very serious and learned man—and I am so grateful he is on our side!"

We're lucky to have Cruz, but there are too many wishy-washy old time republicrats in the Senate who would easily allow a gun control amendment to ride with National Defense funding or something like that. Those old timers don't appreciate a newcomer telling them their jobs.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
    Gun control will never be dead as long as about a dozen career politicians are still breathing. Teddy Kennedy kicked the bucket, so now we're going to have to pray for a few terminal illnesses for the likes of Feinstein, Schumer, Bloomberg, Cuomo, et. al. Just as long as it doesn't involve lead poisoning- - - -we don't need any more martyrs!
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    I am curious to see what impact this news has on price and availabilty.

Selling prices for AR-15's already seem to be coming down.
  • the independentthe independent Member Posts: 52 Member
    The problem is the guard can never go down. The working together that has been done recently cannot stop. Each of the grab attempts that are getting more frequent and more stringent build on each other. My dad bought his last gun from the mail order catalog and shipped straight to the farm. We do not remember that anymore. So until it will stop be on guard for any trick. One big one is that we will drop this (for the next 3 minutes) if you give us this little. Then when you relax the 3 minutes is over.

Found it to my advantage since I have seen this since the 60's
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    Yes, but the UN treaty is very much alive. If I had my choice I would take the assault weapon ban over the treaty, as it would be much easier to change back later. I hope we have enough Senators to vote NO on that treaty !!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    The President has already been notified that the treaty will not be ratified by the current congress....a couple of times
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Well, it may have a weak pulse, but it appears to be too far gone to be revived!

Good news indeed. It's far from over though, a sneaky and corrupt bunch they are.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • the independentthe independent Member Posts: 52 Member
    None of it is dead yet. Keep pushing.

Harry Reid will reverse course and allow a tough gun bill to be introduced in the Senate.

The Huffington Post reports, "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will introduce gun control legislation Thursday night that includes a proposal for universal background checks, a high-ranking source told The Huffington Post."

The liberal website adds:

"The news will cheer up gun control advocates who were left despondent days ago after Reid announced the baseline bill would not include a ban on assault weapons. That measure, which is sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), will be considered as an amendment, diminishing its chances of ending up in the final bill produced by the Senate. A provision that would ban the production and sale of high-capacity magazines will also be considered as an amendment, the source said.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    None of it is dead yet. Keep pushing.

Harry Reid will reverse course and allow a tough gun bill to be introduced in the Senate.

The Huffington Post reports, "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will introduce gun control legislation Thursday night that includes a proposal for universal background checks, a high-ranking source told The Huffington Post."

Old Harry is throwing them a bone. The bill will get gutted in the House of Representatives.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • HakkonenHakkonen Member Posts: 251 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It's a sneaky way to slip in a law that can't pass on its own merits- - - -tack it on to another piece of legislation that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand, maybe as an addition to a budget bill, or something else we might not notice. It's usually done late at night, with no discussion or debate. Typical sneaky dummycrap manipulations!
    Jerry

Both parties do it. Don't kid yourself.
    "If money is speech, then no money means no speech." --Bill Moyers

Money is not speech, corporations are not people, and wealth does not trickle down.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...not anywhere near "dead"...

...just like the "Zombies" that keep coming back to life, even cut into pieces, the "Crawling Hand" is still trying to kill something. "Universal Background Checks", the UN Small Arms Treaty (yes, I realize it has to be "ratified", but do you really think that will stop this "administration" from trying to use it or find a way to bypass Congress???), etc., etc., are not gone. Parts of the legislation are still crawling around, & I have a real problem w/ anything that allows the Attorney General, especially this AG, to decide what is "legal" or "illegal"...
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    I think the two things they'll try to get through next are high-capacity magazine bans and bans/restrictions on private sales. As others have said, they'll tack these onto unrelated bills as amendments. IMO the most important thing we can do is to let our various Congress-critters and Senate-weasels know that ANY vote to further restrict 2A rights for law-abiding citizens will land them in the unemployment line in the next election. Even if your reps are pro-gun, it's important to let them know how you feel anyway.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    Enjoy this emotionally based and irrational response to this :)

http://news.yahoo.com/national-gun-fever-shows-no-sign-breaking-050024304.html

Apparently, there will be no ban on assault weapons.

Never mind that Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster AR-15 assault-type rifle to rip apart the bodies of children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Forget the fact that James E. Holmes, the alleged Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooter, fired, among other weapons, an AR-15.

Nor does it seem to make any difference that Jared Loughner -- the man who shot Gabby Giffords and killed six others, including a 9-year-old girl -- used a high-capacity magazine that the Clinton-era assault-weapons ban rendered illegal. A high-capacity magazine also enabled the massacre committed by Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 people at Virginia Tech.

The political climate has changed since the 1994 ban: Democrats have cowered before the gun lobby; the National Rifle Association has grown even more extreme; the U.S. Supreme Court has moved much further to the right. And, in the 20 years since Congress banned assault-type weapons and high-capacity magazines, Americans have heard a steady drumbeat of pro-firearms rhetoric that fetishizes the Second Amendment. In other words, the climate around firearms has gotten crazier.

Even before the current debate over more restrictive gun laws began, most political observers knew it would be difficult to get Congress to stand up to the firearms lobby. So it's no great surprise that Majority Leader Harry Reid, who runs from the shadow of the National Rifle Association, slammed the door on Sen. Dianne Feinstein's effort to re-up the assault-weapons ban.

Still, I find myself once again wondering just how bad things have to get before the fever breaks -- before the country comes to its senses on firearms. We're in the throes of a kind of madness, a mass delusion that assigns to firearms the significance of religious totems.

Many critics of an assault-weapons ban note that it would not provide any magical cure-all for the mass shootings that have plagued us over the years since Columbine. That's certainly true. But banning at least some assault-type weapons and the high-capacity magazines that feed them would be a step in the right direction. Why can't we take that step?

What would be wrong with reinstituting a ban? For 10 years -- from 1994-2004 -- an imperfect ban prohibited the sale of certain types of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. It covered only new weapons; old ones were grandfathered in, so those already in existence were available to criminals, the mentally unstable and the impulse-control-challenged. The original ban didn't prohibit easy modifications or cosmetic changes that allowed gun owners and manufactures to practically duplicate outlawed weapons. So the old law was hardly perfect.

But many law enforcement officials nevertheless supported it, declaring that it helped. It didn't end gun violence or stop mass murders or prevent suicides (which account for two-thirds of gun deaths in this country). But it prevented some killings. Isn't that worthwhile?

And the Clinton-era ban accomplished that without infringing on the rights of gun owners. They could still hunt game, protect their homes and enjoy firearms on gun ranges. The civilized world did not come to an end during those 10 years; the Second Amendment was not besmirched.

Yet, the vociferous -- nay, deranged -- leadership of the NRA has persuaded Congress that an assault-weapons ban is akin to totalitarianism. More important, it has persuaded Democrats that it has the power to end their political careers if they don't carry water for the gun lobby. After Al Gore's defeat in 2000, he and other Democrats blamed the loss partly on support for tougher gun laws. And the NRA was only too happy to take credit.

That was nonsense, of course. Gore won the popular vote and would have won the Electoral College, as well, if the ballots had been properly counted in Florida. Besides, he has only himself to blame for being a lousy candidate. But none of that seems to matter now because conventional wisdom has rewritten history.

If dead innocents -- their bodies ripped apart by bullets from an assault weapon -- couldn't persuade Congress to ban at least some of those firearms and the high-capacity magazines that feed them, the cause is lost. So is our common sense.

(Cynthia Tucker, winner of the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for commentary, is a visiting professor at the University of Georgia. She can be reached at [email protected].)
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Personally, I think the gun-grabbers strategy is right on course. They upped the ante, as they always do after a tragedy, and actually got some 'sky-is-falling' legislation out of a few liberal states, and crammed some new laws down the throats of Colorado citizens.

But that was all bonus for them, tacked on to the real goal, which is the background checks for ALL gun sales. There is weakness in the ranks of Republicans on this issue, and a lot of folks do not understand that this will likely bring on universal gun registration, by the time the bill gets voted on. Heck, probably half of all gun owners think we already have that.

They freak everybody out with a radical proposal, chalk up any small gains they happen to get out of it, and while we are all heaving a sigh of relief that it wasn't worse, as we get back to whatever we were doing before this all came up...then they quietly pull the rug out from under us with a seemingly minor victory that they can add some teeth to, later, when nobody is looking.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Taken from Matt's post of Ms. Tucker's article:

Many critics of an assault-weapons ban note that it would not provide any magical cure-all for the mass shootings that have plagued us over the years since Columbine. That's certainly true. But banning at least some assault-type weapons and the high-capacity magazines that feed them would be a step in the right direction. Why can't we take that step?

There you have it, there isn't anything to worry about folks. This isn't the banning of ALL firearms, it's just a step. In the right direction that is. All you Fudd-ites out there that think it would be better-more calm maybe-if EBRs would just go away, if high-cap mags were heavily regulated, If all those scary things painted in non-reflective colors with all those doo-dads that can be clipped, slung or hung on various points would all just go away.....ponder this for a while. Ponder and then remember: It's not the 'step' that gets you...it's the kick to the Hoo-hah following the step that really grabs your attention.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    The folks of Ms. Tuckers mindset always fail to acknowledge the crimes that were prevented by Joe Homeowner with their "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines", they just focus on the fairy tale reduction in crime if they were not available.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    "But many law enforcement officials nevertheless supported it, declaring that it helped. It didn't end gun violence or stop mass murders or prevent suicides (which account for two-thirds of gun deaths in this country). But it prevented some killings. Isn't that worthwhile?"

And in standard liberal logic they push for law based on self-made "facts" that are impossible to prove, verify or even argue against.

I love Obama's scripted talking point he keeps harping to any other idiot that is within earshot. "Even if we save ONE life, isn't it worth it?"

No you stupid fool!!!

Trampling the God given freakin' right of MILLIONS of AMERICANS to defend our lives and property agains the likes of YOU and other forms of SCUM is NOT worth ONE mythical life...

:that: TOTALLY AGREED.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    The massive gun control bill may be dead, but little bits of it will be like zombies and come back as amendments to bills later. Tacked onto a spending bill or other legislation in the dead of night when no one is paying attention. All we've won is a small skirmish in a wider conflict. A few states have jumped onto the gun ban bandwagon and will cause as much, if not more, mischief as the Feds. The laws passed in NY, CO, and the pending ones in MA, CT, RI, MD and others are a very real threat to the citizens living in these states. I can understand the ones in the NE U.S., but Colorado??!! Really?

The economic backlash is gaining ground, though. Remington, Colt, and even Beretta are looking at moving operations out of the police states to the free states. And so are a lot of the smaller manufacturers of parts and accessories hindered by the new laws. If this happens on a grand scale, the states they leave will be left with an economic and tax vacuum that will be hard to fill. And I hope it does happen on a grand scale. I'd love to see the law of unintended consequences take hold with a vengeance.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    while researching something for the Facebook group we troll, I found out the Feinstein AWB is going to be attached a bill still in the Judiciary Committee..

NOT dead...

Sneaking in the back door.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    tennmike wrote: »
    I'd love to see the law of unintended consequences take hold with a vengeance.

The ideal situation would be to have those major manufacturers not only move to a gun-friendly location, but also suspend sales to the government of states with restrictive gun laws. That's a pie-in-the-sky sky pipe dream, but it would certainly be an attention-getter!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    We can't take our packs of yet because there is still the evil
    amendment process to deal with.

I can tell you one thing, we better not take our packs off or slack off, not until we get a Republican or conservative administration in office with a Conservative congress. Those clowns never rest!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.