Getting close or making difficult shots?

2»

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Friend of mine just took this one the 26th of this month right hear in South Mississippi and he weighed 445 pounds.

We have through the last ten years taken others this size.

a7746bab.jpg
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,818 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I like to take another approach- - - - -being familiar enough with the trerritory and the travel patterns of the game that I can load up the flintlock smokepole, pick a spot, and let the deer come to me. There's very few situations more rewarding than to observe and pattern the movements of a big buck and manage to be in the right place at the right time to take a 50-yard shot or closer by being in his back yard without being discovered.

I've got plenty of 300-yard-plus rifles that will take deer-sized game cleanly if I do my part, and varmint rifles that will nearly double that effective range, so I do a little Ma Bell shooting into the next area code, but up close and personal with a flintlock is my favorite type of hunting.
    Jerry

What Jerry said. I like to do my homework and learn the terrain/habits of my game and ambush the sucker by being where he'll be,,,
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    One of my absolute favorite ways of hunting, and something my cousin and I do at least once a year is to put the sneak on a bunch of whitetails feeding in a winter wheat field...what we're looking for is a spot with the sun at our backs...range can be 2-250 yards in the most productive of our fields. We get set up together, pick a deer and take the pair simultaneously......just a stupid amount of fun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    I have a .308, so I have to get in close...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I stand by what I said and if you don't believe it that's your prerogative. My son hunts hogs with a knife but they do it at night with dogs. Everybody else I know that hunts hogs seriously around here hunts them at night because they are hard to get close to. Maybe you have your own land and have them fed out and half tame. But these down here are wild. Even the hogs up from the coast that have little Russian blood are very wild here. I was on a lease for 10 years that was full of them. I killed a few but all were at night or after dark. And also I was up in the air in a blind where they couldn't get my scent. There were 10 of us on that lease and we had a lot of land. Only two people ever came up on hogs at close range and that was driving to a blind and when they came around a tree line or something that blocked the view and noise. You say they have poor eyesight, well so do whitetail and whitetail are very weiry as deer go. But whitetail can see movement. I think it's the same with hogs.

Snake, I don't doubt that most people hunt them at night as they tend to be nocturnal and most active then. Daylight is the time to get in the thick stuff and stalk them in their beds. Or still hunting in the late evening when they start to move. Nighttime is very productive for spotlighting or using dogs. They are up and moving. Yes, they see movement. But if you move slow and play the wind, you can usually get real close. All a matter of how and where you hunt. In box blinds and over feeders, as you described, you are correct in that they will be hard to see being mostly nocturnal and all. To see them often in the day, get in the thick brush and bottoms. Your hogs are likely no wilder than mine. We just differ in our style of hunting. No arguement there. Pressure may vary but senses are likely the same. Just technique and skill the possible difference.

I also don't doubt that there is Russian somewhere down the bloodlines. Possibly more in sone areas than others. But 90 years is a lot of crossbreeding. Some traits may be stronger in visual appearance but purity and high levels of Russian bloodlines I find hard to fathom. They breed like rabbits and spread like vagabonds. Pure bloodlines are pretty much a thing of the past as they've all gone feral.

We have no argument, my friend. We just hunt differently. I would love to come hunt the coastal pigs. Pigs anywhere are just a blast to hunt. Pure or mostly Russian, yes we disagree on that point. I'd check with a wildlife biologist whose done actual sample tests on that one. If you're interested, please let me know. I'd like to hear what he says on actual studies conducted.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I hunt on a lease in Florida. For us the hogs are way easier to hunt than the deer. Perhaps that is because there are so many more hogs, I don't know. But to respond to the original question of the thread I think a distant shot would be my choice simply because a shot at 300yds is rare. It is too thick here for much over a 150yd shot.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    In Alabama we still have hogs that display some pronounced characteristics of their Russian heritage. Here's a piglet I rolled at the end of the 2008 season and the markings are pretty distinctive. About a dozen pigs were in the field when I rolled this one and most of them had similar markings.

2008deerseasonend003.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    Close is my only choice for now.
    This message has been deleted
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,948 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Which do you find most satisfying?

And please, none of this BS about both, or it depends, or some weasel answer that really doesn't answer the question.

Do you find it more satisfying to take a game animal cleanly by making a difficult shot, whether it be due to the distance, tough wind conditions, a moving target, or do you feel better about getting close after making a difficult stalk/sneak, or selecting a stand that gets you close?

For me, I have to admit that I get more satisfaction from making a long shot, difficult shot than I do from getting close. This is almost surely due to the type of country I hunt as well as the country I grew up hunting. The hunts I remember most when I was a kid were in the canyon country of west Texas where 200 yards was pretty much the norm. Now, having lived in the west for 25 of the past 30 years, most of the country I hunt lends itself to making long shots. That's not to say I haven't made the occassional short shot, but when I have it's usually been by accident, and not by design.

So if you have to choose between getting close or making the tough shot, which of these two give you the most satisfaction, and why?

I'll go with getting close. I won't take a shot that I don't feel COMFORTABLE will be a solid kill, so a "challenging, or long difficult" shot is out of the question. I save those for targets, not game.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,269 Senior Member
    This is no joke BP, around the Aransas Wildlife Reserve most all hogs are solid black and they look different than the ones in the woods up 50+ miles to the north. I have been told by many people that back in the 20s and 30s the O'Connors and Welders brought in a lot of Russian stock and it has dominated this area since. Also the King Ranch may have done this too. There's a big ranch between Port Lavaca and Port O'Connor called the Powderhorn, that was once a part of the King Ranch, that is full of damn near pure Russian hogs, but they have a 10 foot high game fence. This is all ranch land, not farm land, and they were imported to hunt. Up from the coast on the other side of Victoria and above there are mostly plain feral hogs. But for some reason, all along the coast there are Predominately Russian stock.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
2»