Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Breaking news gunshot detectors

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
Just witnessed a completely idiotic concept on the local news. Gunshot detectors in a high crime area. they will detect gunshots and firecrackers and backfires and alert the police. After gunshots the police will do what they have always done. Draw the chalk outline around the body.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    Yeah, I heard about this a couple years ago. The "trial run" (I forget where) wasn't as stellar as they'd hoped. Picked up a lot of backfires, missed a lot of gunshots.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    We have had that for quite sometime now. The results were as expected a waste of money and resources.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I thought we already talked about this. The BGs fire off a few rounds in one area to draw cops then commit the real crime elsewhere.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    We have them here. They did once confirm my yells on the radio when I was being shot at...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I thought we already talked about this. The BGs fire off a few rounds in one area to draw cops then commit the real crime elsewhere.

Yea that's it.:punch:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • ace7644ace7644 Member Posts: 55 Member
    You guys are kinda missing the point. These are used primarily in areas with a high lvl of minorities, who are accustomed to not talking to the police no matter what(I'm talking gun battle outside and not even a call to the cops). After all no one likes a rat. So it gives the police at least some useful information rather than nothing at all.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    It's a technological answer in search of the question. So a gunshot is detected, or is it a gunshot? Guy comes home late on evening and starts working on the balky lawnmower. It starts spitting and backfiring. Next thing he knows the SWAT team is there screwing an MP5 in his ear, all of them are screaming orders at the top of their lungs, and the lawnmower is still spitting and backfiring. And if one of them is really trigger happy on arrival, he starts shooting at the 'muzzle flashes' as the mower backfires in his general direction taking out the mower in a blaze of gunfire. And maybe the poor sap working on the danged contraption.

Say it really is a gunshot. All this does is to determine where to send the po-po who has the chalk stick to mark off the outline, or to send for the ambulance. Even coupled with security cameras, it would be a crap shoot getting any useful information from the camera. Ski mask and paintball gun takes the cameras out of the picture. So does a cheap laser pointer.

Bottom line; for every high tech technological terror they come up with, there is generally a low tech means to defeat it. Making a system foolproof always underestimates the natural ability of fools to hose it up.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    cpj wrote: »
    The only useful info is where "a noise that sounds similar to a gun shot is roughly located."

Hardly ground breaking. But it would be fun to drive around with a pocketful of fire crackers.

Too much work driving around. Get a bunch of the bigger party balloons and fill them with helium. find out how many balloons are required to lift a pack of firecrackers with a two minute cannon fuse attached. Make up a bunch and send them aloft at 15 second intervals. They'll call out the national guard to put down the insurrection! :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
    I may, repeat may....have stuck a lit cigarette on a fire cracker, and put it in a locker one time at high school. It makes for time to make your way across campus. Allegedly .

When I was in HS there were a few cherry bombs and M-80s flushed down toilets. Best to not be sitting on one when that happened. :vomit::tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    But it would be fun to drive around with a pocketful of fire crackers.

Firecrackers? I'm thinking Tannerite!
    :silly::silly::silly:Jerry
  • Hurryin' HoosierHurryin' Hoosier New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Would they pick up the popping sounds coming from Joe Biden's ears?
    "We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin."
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    I think Joe has more of a wind tunnel effect.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • FreezFreez New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I've seen this concept actually work, but only on a starship where the bad guys who shot the Klingons had no avenue of escape..... Would the same Senators as the ones who were on the ground floor of the "Let's look at the womanfolk naked before they board the plane" technology be involved?!?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,977 Senior Member
    I may, repeat may....have stuck a lit cigarette on a fire cracker, and put it in a locker one time at high school. It makes for time to make your way across campus. Allegedly .

We just squirted Doe Pee, Fox Urine, and Skunk Scent into the lockers of folks we weren't too fond of.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Limburger cheese on the exhaust manifolds- - - -the principal had to drive a different car for a week while the Dodge dealer cleaned up that mess!
    Jerry