Home Main Category Hunting

Mountain Lions

AiredaleAiredale BannedPosts: 624 Senior Member
I read a book about an old bounty hunter who ate the meat of the cats he killed.
Anybody tried it??

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,315 Senior Member
    Several guys here have consumed mountain lion and bobcat meat and found it very palatable...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Lips that touch cat and prairie dog will never touch mine.

So there.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Lips that touch cat and prairie dog will never touch mine.

So there.

Mike

Does this mean you won't be doing any smooching with Wambli anytime soon?
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Does this mean you won't be doing any smooching with Wambli anytime soon?

That is, much to his angst I'm sure, exactly what it means.

Mike
    N454casull
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not gonna say "never", but I've not been hungry enough to eat cat. I'd sooner eat horse.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not gonna say "never", but I've not been hungry enough to eat cat. I'd sooner eat horse.

Somebody get rope
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Mountain lion and bobcat, the other, other white meat! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    I read a book about an old bounty hunter who ate the meat of the cats he killed.
    Anybody tried it??

Mt lion is really good. Mild white meat that is similar to pork. Bobcat is also good, but a bit stringier.

What is the aversion to horsemeat? Just another large herbivore. Kinda like moose...

ETA...Not my kill, but very tasty...

Kittycat.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Didn't we just have a Thread on this a couple of months ago? I remember commenting on our old Wildlife Prof who relished bobcat. And see here Buffy.....! IF you had lived during WWII and the food rationing that went along with the times, it's a safe bet that you would have eaten horse meat!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    He would have probably eaten "Hoover hog" also.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Somebody get rope

No, better get two ropes cause I ainta eatin it either. I don't do cats OR dogs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Didn't we just have a Thread on this a couple of months ago? I remember commenting on our old Wildlife Prof who relished bobcat. And see here Buffy.....! IF you had lived during WWII and the food rationing that went along with the times, it's a safe bet that you would have eaten horse meat!

As for me, I never said I wouldn't eat horse, because being a child raised in the late 40s and 50s I probably ate it and didn't know it. I just said I don't eat cats or dogs. Got nothing to do with taste either, btw.

And also, another in the BTW column, I have eaten Hoover Hog and will again if the opportunity presents itself. Dat be known as Possum on da half shell!!

:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The thought of horse don't turn my stomach like cat. I've no aversion to Wilbur.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The only meat I refuse to eat is possum. Lots of southern folks like them, but after seeing a mama and her litter nesting in a very stinky dead cow, I just can't do it. I intend to try '**** pretty soon, though, because a friend that I trust recommended it, and I would try bobcat, too, if I didn't have to cook it.
    I'm with you on the possum, Bis. The only good use for a possum is as ballistic test media.

I've had **** (twice) and didn't care for it. It may have been the way it was cooked, but the meat was dark (which is okay), but also very greasy (which isn't). Like I said, it may have been how it was cooked, but at 0-2, I'm not anticipating trying it again.

Mike
    N454casull
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The only meat I refuse to eat is possum. Lots of southern folks like them, but after seeing a mama and her litter nesting in a very stinky dead cow, I just can't do it. I intend to try '**** pretty soon, though, because a friend that I trust recommended it, and I would try bobcat, too, if I didn't have to cook it.
    Possum and vulture for me. Any critter that shoves its head up a 3-day old dead cow's rectum to get a meal (vulture) or will crawl out of said cow's hind end with a grin from ear to ear (possum) ain't fit to eat.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I'm with you on the possum, Bis. The only good use for a possum is as ballistic test media.

I've had **** (twice) and didn't care for it. It may have been the way it was cooked, but the meat was dark (which is okay), but also very greasy (which isn't). Like I said, it may have been how it was cooked, but at 0-2, I'm not anticipating trying it again.

Mike

When I try it, I'm gonna smoke it on low heat, and finish it double-wrapped in foil, which steams and tenderizes it. I've had good success making poor cuts of meat edible, this way. My friend who liked it said the flavor was good, but it was a little tough, so this might fix it. I'm fine with greasy, if it isn't rank, too. I'm hoping I like it, so I'll have a good excuse to start thinning some of the rascals out, around here. They haven't hurt anything, yet, so I've been leaving them alone.
    Possum and vulture for me. Any critter that shoves its head up a 3-day old dead cow's rectum to get a meal (vulture) or will crawl out of said cow's hind end with a grin from ear to ear (possum) ain't fit to eat.

10-4 on the buzzards - there are several other birds that I probably wouldn't eat, too, since you mention them.
    cpj wrote: »
    Horses are made of meat, therefore, food.

Exactly. Wilbur eats grain and grass. I bet that meat is amazing.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Ummm, Wilbur was the owner of Ed. Ed was the horse.

Ahem..... http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?12795-They-say-1-out-of-4-men-are-gay
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Ummm, Wilbur was the owner of Ed. Ed was the horse.

Crap. Now I sound like Hannibal Lector.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Been awhile since I heard about "Hoover Hog"
    Was that woodchuck or armadillo?
    You have to take all the fat off that raccoon before it's cooked. Once you do that it's not bad.
    "Hoover Hogs" are armadillos...also known as "possum on the half-shell"
    You must be almost as old as me.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    For those of you who say 'never' when referring to 'other' kinds of meat, if your survival rested on eating whats available I think your decision would change rapidly.

I would like to try eating cougar.............does it need any special preparation?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    For those of you who say 'never' when referring to 'other' kinds of meat, if your survival rested on eating whats available I think your decision would change rapidly.

For this reason, my kid and I have tried almost everything from the trapline. Beaver (not bad), otter and muskrat (puke) bobcat (good), **** (edible) and we considered coyote, but just couldn't get past the smell.

If it ever "hits the fan" then trapping is the way to gather meat without using too much energy. I'm confident that I can snare deer easily if I had to.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Crap. Now I sound like Hannibal Lector.

Hey, meat is meat. It's all on the menu if need be. No worries.

Bon Appetit!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    For this reason, my kid and I have tried almost everything from the trapline. Beaver (not bad), otter and muskrat (puke) bobcat (good), **** (edible) and we considered coyote, but just couldn't get past the smell.

If it ever "hits the fan" then trapping is the way to gather meat without using too much energy. I'm confident that I can snare deer easily if I had to.

If your wife has relatives that build saunas, I am sure they have some knowledge of such a sport:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    You have to numb it first.

Num num num num num num.

The first time I heard that joke, an OB/GYN told it to me.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11