Home Main Category Personal Defense

How do you handle "interactions" with LEOs when carrying?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
While heading down to check on Dau-in-law earlier today, I had an "interaction" with a county deputy (Yes I got pulled over for speeding)

It took a while for him to get around the traffic I had just passed, and even when he caught up (I'd slowed WAY down waiting on him, figured there wasn't any need for both of us to be driving too fast on the wet roads) it was still a few miles to the first safe place to pull off. (I had my blinker on so he knew I was looking but to have hit the shoulder would have taken 4wd to get back out and I'd have probably had to pull him out as well)

By the time we got to a convenience store, I already had both my DL and pistol permit in hand when I pulled in.
As he (leo) is walking up, I have right hand @ 1200 on wheel, in plain sight, and have left hand slightly out the window with both cards in hand.
He sees ccl and the discussion goes like this:
Leo: without reaching for it, where is you concealed weapon?
me: inside waistband, right hip, blue bag behind the seat & _________
leo: I don't go anywhere without 3 myself.

He then starts back to his vehicle and as he does he says

leo: I'll tell you what, you leave yours where they are, and I'll leave mine where they are.
me: yes sir, sounds like a plan to me.

He comes back. hands me my Lic and ccl and THANKS me for handing him my ccl. I explained that some of the states I travel through you are required ,by law, to inform leos (AL is not one of them, but I figure it's safer to "inform" when not required to than NOT when it IS required) and I figured just handing them my permit worked better than saying something stupid like "I have a gun"
He laughed and said he liked me handing him my permit better too, reminded me it expires the end of the month, and sent me on my way.

So, my questions are:
  1. Does your state require you to inform LEOs you have "professional" contact with that you're carrying?
  2. If so, how do you handle it?
  3. If your state doesn't require it, do you anyway (like I did)? Why, or why not?
  4. Would you have handled my "interaction" differently? If so, how?

For the record, I didn't know he wasn't going to write me a BIG ticket until he came back, I was surprised he didn't have his ticket book with him walking back to me. I wouldn't have been mad/upset at him if he had. He was only doing what the residents of his county pay him to do, and I knew I was exceeding the speed limit. Only time it bugs me is if I get a ticket for 1mph over the speed limit, or some garbage like that.

Also, in 91,000+ miles since Dec 2006, that's the first time my little silver truck's ever been pulled over.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Oh and the 3 weps? 1911R1 on hip, PM40 in blue bag and Glock 22 where it was :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I have been pulled over three times since I got my CCW. Yes, all of them was for speeding. Each time I handed the LEO both of my license. They asked where the weapon was and I told them. In all cases we ended up talking about what I was carrying and all of them were very friendly about it. The only one that gave me a ticket was the one at the lowest speed. I was on my way to watch my grandson play baseball. I got pulled over doing 30 mph. When the LEO walked up to the window I asked what I had done wrong. He replied you were speeding. I said officer I was only doing 30, he said yes I realize that but the speed limit is 20. He wrote me a ticket but we did have a good chat about pistols.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,930 Senior Member
    MN puts it on our drivers licenses, but we still need to carry our permits also, I have been pulled over for not slowing down fast enough in a transition area and I just kept my hands at 10 and 2 and and they never said anything to me, it was a local cop that knows who I am and he just gave me a warning.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I jump out first, pull it out and point it to my head and yell "DRAW!"........"Ha! I beat you!"....... you should see the looks on their faces at that...
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    Kansas does not require that you notify LE upon contact....it's actually discouraged by some "instructors"....However, I plan (haven't been stopped in KS yet) to handle it the same way I did in MI....DL, CPL, Registration and Proof of Insurance are all presented at the same time...In KS our CPLs are connected to our DLs and as soon as the officer runs the license he knows whether you have a CPL or not...IMHO there should be no surprises for the officer...I'm going to inform him right up front.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I jump out first, pull it out and point it to my head and yell "DRAW!"........"Ha! I beat you!"....... you should see the looks on their faces at that...

:nono:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    Notification is required in Ohio. Comes up when they run your plates so they should already know.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry are trying to get the notification taken out of the regs after this fiasco....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    In Texas, the law requires you to tell the officer, but a later legislative session removed the penalty for not doing so. There are several other ambiguous laws, but State Troopers are generally pretty reasonable when dealing with folks that fit the profile for 'law-abiding citizens.'
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    IMHO there should be no surprises for the officer...I'm going to inform him right up front.
    That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I know cops, like everyone else, go to work with the intention of going home at the end of their shift.
    Plus, I feel, in a small way it sort of shows respect to the leo.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    1. Yes, must inform.

2. I plan on sitting there with my hands on the wheel and inform
    when the Leo gets to the window. He will probably run the plate first
    and dispatch will inform him of the permit.

I had a fender bender and did not say anything because the gun was home.
    he did not ask either.

2 cont. I once had a LEO get out of his car to talk to me when I was walking
    on the street, so I told him. { we don't have sidewalks }
    He just waved it off and just wanted to BS a little since it was his neighborhood patrol area.

3. I plan on informing wherever.

4. If I could not be seen fumbling for the permits,yes; otherwise I will wait until told to produce
    needed documents.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    In TN, the CCW permit # is the same number as the drivers license #. When they run your license plate, it comes up with both the permit and DL so no surprises for the officer if he's run your license plate. I've only been pulled over once since I got my CCW permit, and it was for a trailer safety chain that had come loose and was dragging. I shut off the engine(can't hold a conversation with a diesel engine running) and had DL, CCW, insurance card, and registration in my left hand and my right hand at top of steering wheel as officer approached and informed him that I had a firearm in the truck. He told me my safety chain was dragging, and I got out and reattached it, and he asked what I was carrying. I told him it was a Colt Commander. He commented that it was a good carry piece, handed me my paperwork, and said to drive safe.

I've also handed both DL and CCW to the officer at DUI checkpoints a few times, and informed them that I was carrying. They appreciated the heads up, and determining that I wasn't a DUI, waved me through. Courtesy goes a long way in most situations.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Here is the dash cam from the last time I was pulled over. Over all I thought it went very smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxieH6QjI8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    tennmike wrote: »
    Courtesy goes a long way in most situations.
    Very good point Mike. I used to work with a medic who became a LEO and he gave me some advice MANY years ago that I took to heart,
    If I pull you over, and am in the mood to write you a ticket, you aren't going to talk me out of it. If I'm not in the mood, or am undecided about writing you a ticket, you can talk me INTO it EVERY time

I normally don't try to talk myself out of a ticket, but I make double danged sure not to talk myself INTO one.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've been pulled over a few times for "enthusiasms," and each time I've given the LEO my DL and permit, and advised him as to my status. On every occasion, as soon as I gave him my permit, he visibly relaxed and treated me as one of the guys. Maybe it's a Southern thing, but I've never had to pay a ticket, once they see my permit.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Notification is required in Ohio. Comes up when they run your plates so they should already know.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry are trying to get the notification taken out of the regs after this fiasco....

Please tell me that this moron is no longer packing a badge! Hard to tell which is bigger, his attitude or his ego.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,509 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I normally don't try to talk myself out of a ticket, but I make double danged sure not to talk myself INTO one.

Smart man.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    In Texas, the law requires you to tell the officer, but a later legislative session removed the penalty for not doing so. There are several other ambiguous laws, but State Troopers are generally pretty reasonable when dealing with folks that fit the profile for 'law-abiding citizens.'

You only have to inform IF you are carrying. So, if you don't have a gun with you, you don't have to inform... but it's a good idea to do so so you don't end up with some twitchy newb freaking out when he runs your ID.

Me, I do pretty much what Knite did. I usually have my DL and CHL out before I am at a full stop, and have hands in view with IDs and window down by the time the officer gets out of his car.

BTW, my CHL has gotten me out of tickets. The smart cops know that the CHL is a "good guy" card.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Only been pulled over once and it was by a cop that I've known for years,but works for the reservation now.At first I didn't know it was him or he me.
    As he walked up to my truck I already had my DL and CCW in hand, he saw who I was , gave me a verbal warning and I was on my way.

Az. does not require us to show our CCW on interaction with LE but I will to keep from any misunderstandings.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Texas law says that if you've got a CHL and are carrying, you must inform the LEO immediately when you're asked for your ID. If you're stopped in your vehicle this is a formality, as your plates come up on the database screen that you're a CHL holder.

Each time I've been stopped, I sit quietly and keep both hands on the wheel, and the officer asks "May I see your license and insurance?" and I immediately say "Yes, I also have a concealed carry license and I am armed today." "Where?" "In my center console (or in my right front pocket)"

I've only been asked to actually show my weapon once. The other times the LEO will ask something like "You can show me your license and all without reaching for the weapon, right?" and so on.

It's always been very friendly, even when I've gotten a rare speeding ticket. The one time the LEO asked to see the weapon was when I was carrying my Springfield Operator .45 and then we talked guns for a while.

A caution --- none of these times had I been drinking, and was headed to work or returning. I'm aware of the stupidity of carrying concealed while drinking and have since quit alcohol, so the issue is moot for me now.

I sort of think, also, and have no real proof, that having a CHL and being armed has actually gotten me off with a "slow down" warning rather than a citation. LEOs know we're on their side. I have never once met an LEO who wasn't positive about the CHL laws. But then, this is Texas.**

(** Texas: if you think you're a bad boy who can shoot Colorado prison officials, murdering them in cold blood, c'mon down to Texas and we'll have a nice surprise for you, dude.)
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    You only have to inform IF you are carrying. So, if you don't have a gun with you, you don't have to inform... but it's a good idea to do so so you don't end up with some twitchy newb freaking out when he runs your ID.

Me, I do pretty much what Knite did. I usually have my DL and CHL out before I am at a full stop, and have hands in view with IDs and window down by the time the officer gets out of his car.

BTW, my CHL has gotten me out of tickets. The smart cops know that the CHL is a "good guy" card.

Other than pulling my license ahead of time, this is what I do too. And you're right -- technically you don't have to tell you've got a Texas CHL unless you're carrying, but I agree, it's always a good idea. Thing is, I've always been carrying, so the issue has never come up.

So what I do, as per Texas LEO suggestions, is simply sit quietly in the car, put it in park or whatever, and put hands on wheel and wait till asked for license. And yeah, I think my CHL has gotten me passed with only a warning, too.
    Adding a non-vehicle event... a few years ago some guy stopped by my apartment, knocking on doors at two am and selling newspaper "prescriptions", ha!

I told him I was calling the cops, which I did, and he left quick but I didn't see exactly where. I had my XD .45 in the back of my jeans beltline when the cop showed, I gave him my CHL and driver's license as we stood outside my apartment. The cop checked our apartment building property just in case, I gave him a good description, and we shook goodbye.

Another time a drunk driver hit a parked car in front of my apartment, the driver was stunned and wandering around on the street before the cops showed up, then he took off -- his illegal truck and illegal drunk self were soon arrested. But when I went outside to see if I could help, again I had my XD in the back of my jeans and had my licenses on me.
    Coming home today, that same officer was sitting about 10 miles up the road from where he got me yesterday. Since I no longer had a urgent need to be anywhere, I was only doing my normal speed limit +5. I recognized his SUV and turned around and went back and spoke with him.
    I:
    1) thanked him for not arresting me (I was moving a little more than "enthusiastically" ) To which he replied, "You had a situation and were straight up with me, so I was straight up with you"
    2) showed him a pic of the new baby, so he knew my story wasn't something I'd just made up on the spot
    3) shot the breeze with him a couple of minutes. Turns out he's big buddies with one of my former drivers

While, as the videos posted above show, SOME LEOs fall into the category of "bad apples" My experience is that they are a SMALL minority and the large majority are "good people" just doing their job.

BTW, if he HAD ticketed me, I'd have still stopped to chat with him today. He wasn't the one mashing the accelerator down in my truck. (If he'd have arrested me, I'd probably still be in jail, so today's meeting wouldn't have happened)

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    GA doesn't require you to inform. I've never been stopped while carrying so I don't know what I'll do. Probably tell them.
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    As a new CPL holder, I plan on providing my CPL with my DL immediately.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Can't imagine why that would NOT be required disclosure in ANY State. It does sound like you handle it very well.

Why? Should I also disclose the content of my trunk too or because my guns are more "dangerous" than any other inanimate objects I have on myself or in my car? No requirements from the government to force you to do something when it comes to gun right and gun ownership is EVER good.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

THIS is what can happen to you and it happens A LOT more, but not caught on videos or recordings. PA does not require disclosure and I know of several personal encounters, including someone I taught, that had gun drawn and pointed to his head when informed "because he thought it was a good idea".

In many encounters, cops will disarm the carrier AND try to unload the firearms. I'm sorry, but my gun is in the SAFEST condition when it stays holstered and untouched. I had an encounter that I documented a while ago and I did not inform until JUST before I was asked to step out of my car. The PA State Trooper took my gun and tried to unload it WITH THE MAGAZINE STILL IN! I had to remind him to take the mag out as he was struggling to rack the slide with his gloves on. I was carrying a Glock 26, he was carrying a Glock 32. Can you believe it? There are many, many, many variations of carried guns and most cops are unlikely to know how to operate all of them. If he couldn't unload something similar to what he's carrying, I'm not going to trust him or any other cop to handle carry guns.

I'm not telling anyone to inform or not inform, but know that just because knitepoet's experience was a positive one, it doesn't mean your encounter where you live will too be a positive one. If you do, ALWAYS start with "I have a permit/license to carry firearm/weapon..." and avoid saying the word "gun" altogether. If your state does not require it, my personal feeling is that you should not inform unless you are asked to step out of your car.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »

In many encounters, cops will disarm the carrier AND try to unload the firearms. I'm sorry, but my gun is in the SAFEST condition when it stays holstered and untouched. I had an encounter that I documented a while ago and I did not inform until JUST before I was asked to step out of my car. The PA State Trooper took my gun and tried to unload it WITH THE MAGAZINE STILL IN! I had to remind him to take the mag out as he was struggling to rack the slide with his gloves on. I was carrying a Glock 26, he was carrying a Glock 32. Can you believe it? There are many, many, many variations of carried guns and most cops are unlikely to know how to operate all of them. If he couldn't unload something similar to what he's carrying, I'm not going to trust him or any other cop to handle carry guns.

There was a case in NJ several years ago where a cop tried to clear one of the tip-up barrel Beretta pocket guns. He dropped the mag, racked the slide, then proceeded to shoot himself in the weak hand. Those tip up barrel guns don't have an extractor, and rely on recoil and gas to eject the casing. the only way to clear them is to tip up the barrel and pluck the round out.

The best idea is always to keep the gun in the holster.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    There was a case in NJ several years ago where a cop tried to clear one of the tip-up barrel Beretta pocket guns. He dropped the mag, racked the slide, then proceeded to shoot himself in the weak hand. Those tip up barrel guns don't have an extractor, and rely on recoil and gas to eject the casing. the only way to clear them is to tip up the barrel and pluck the round out.

The best idea is always to keep the gun in the holster.

That is my worst fear, having the gun go off. It's not inconceivable that if he had a partner a gun pointed at the vehicle his partner would start shooting. I wish these "must inform" states also require that the police to not disarm the civilian. Better yet, there should NOT be any laws requiring informing. How many criminal with a gun will actually inform the police?

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    mythaeus wrote: »
    . If you do, ALWAYS start with "I have a permit/license to carry firearm/weapon..." and avoid saying the word "gun" altogether. If your state does not require it, my personal feeling is that you should not inform unless you are asked to step out of your car.

Al
    Which is why I handed him both my CCL and DL at the same time. it 1) lets him know I'm "legal" to carry and 2) hints to my intentions of NOT trying anything "Stupid" or harmful to him, since I voluntarily gave up my "advantage" of surprise

knitepoet wrote: »
    Which is why I handed him both my CCL and DL at the same time. it 1) lets him know I'm "legal" to carry and 2) hints to my intentions of NOT trying anything "Stupid" or harmful to him, since I voluntarily gave up my "advantage" of surprise

Yes, that is a great way to inform for sure!

Al