Home Main Category Personal Defense

How not to handle road rage

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 24,810 Senior Member
Truck cuts off SUV, SUV driver follows truck home.
Gets out and takes a poke at the truck driver, gets his clock
cleaned by the truck occupants.

SUV driver's wife stops fight with gun, SUV driver takes
gun and runs off the others.

SUV drives away, then returns in a few minutes and shoots up
truck.

Result is multiple gun use charges for both adults in SUV.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/Deputies-looking-for-couple-accused-of-road-rage/-/13530444/19448750/-/crv6mr/-/index.html

This is a classic no, no that is taught in CCW classes;
if you start a fist fight you cannot pull a gun because you are
losing.

It appears the two had started backing away from the fight
even before they knew the woman had the gun.

One thing not in the link is that a neighbors house got shot
when the truck was being shot up.

video is reported to be cell phone.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Awesome video.

My take?
    Whether or not the kids cut him off, it gives this douche ZERO right to attack the driver. The douche is in the wrong, one hundred percent. He also got his whipped, which I love. Now the kids took it a little too far, and should have just closed the door or not stopped. But I'm glad they gave him a beatin. Call it poetic justice.
    Fast forward, the wife did what I believe to be legal, she produced a weapon as she was in fear of her husbands life. Had he she shot them, I can see it going either way in court.
    Fast forwarder (yeah, it's a word) when they went back and started shooting, that's no bueno.

I don't think so. Douche was the aggressor and threw the first punch....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    This is fuel for the antis. I CANNOT believe any adult can be that freakin' dumb, let alone TWO adults with a toddler in the car!!!

The person who throws the first punch, especially one with a firearm, is always at fault for escalation. Never mind the fact that he actually followed the other person for 1/2 hour AND threw the first punch.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    There could be more to this story, but a few thoughts...

First, Mr. Roadrage probably should go away for a while. Mrs. Roadrage needs to find a better class of man. Those two kids need to learn to throw a punch. Folks all over need to remember to dial 911 or non emergency numbers BEFORE the shooting starts, rather than trying to get video they can sell to newsies or post on 'Facetube'.

Had Mr. Roadrage called the cops when cut off, he could have reported tag numbers and gone about his business confident in the knowledge that something that he (maybe) got something done to right the wrong that he had suffered. (sarcasm definitely intended)

Had the kids used their phone to call police rather than record the idiot, this might never have been more than a blurd in the local deadtree..."Man cited for following teens".

As it is, we're lucky we're not reading about another multiple injury/death shooting.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,958 Senior Member
    Rule 1: NEVER let a road rager follow you home. NEVER.
    Rule 2: See rule 1.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    I can see the man and his wife in some deep stuff over this one. And they deserve what they get for being extremely stupid.

Somebody with road rage following you; make a 911 call and let the cops handle it. Don't drive home with them on your tail; that was stupid, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    Road ragers are everywhere. When I was coming home from work Saturday, I came up behind a car on a two lane county road doing 5mph under the 50mph speed limit. I knew as we crested a hill there was a place to pass, so as soon as I could see down the hill, I sped up to pass him. As I got half a car length ahead, I heard his car kick down a gear as he floored it, and sure enough he was right beside me as I hit 60mph. I started to slow and he did at the same pace. He was keeping me in the right lane into possible oncoming traffic that would be coming over another hill. I grabbed fourth gear, got in front and slowed back to 60mph. He put on his brights and started tail gating me.

I knew I was making a right turn, so I hit my blinker early. He was still up my butt, so I waited until the last second and brake checked the eff out of him... He didn't hit me, but I'm sure he pooped his pants....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I had a guy go nuts and followed me flashing lights and trying to run me off the road. I stopped in a parking lot after doing a middle finger display. He stopped got out of his vehicle blinded by rage. He was blind to the black and white Crown Victoria I had pulled in next to. He threw a 1/2 full beer at me and management frowned apron his actions. Two Police cars and a wrecker later the issue was settled. Terroristic threats, open alchohol while operating a motor vehicle, littering and resisting arrest. Just find a Police officer. If I hadn't found a cop it would have been a Kimber moment. :win: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Road ragers are everywhere. When I was coming home from work Saturday, I came up behind a car on a two lane county road doing 5mph under the 50mph speed limit. I knew as we crested a hill there was a place to pass, so as soon as I could see down the hill, I sped up to pass him. As I got half a car length ahead, I heard his car kick down a gear as he floored it, and sure enough he was right beside me as I hit 60mph. I started to slow and he did at the same pace. He was keeping me in the right lane into possible oncoming traffic that would be coming over another hill. I grabbed fourth gear, got in front and slowed back to 60mph. He put on his brights and started tail gating me.

I knew I was making a right turn, so I hit my blinker early. He was still up my butt, so I waited until the last second and brake checked the eff out of him... He didn't hit me, but I'm sure he pooped his pants....

Maybe something like this would help:

576611400_o.jpg

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    Awesome video.

My take?
    Whether or not the kids cut him off, it gives this douche ZERO right to attack the driver. The douche is in the wrong, one hundred percent. He also got his whipped, which I love. Now the kids took it a little too far, and should have just closed the door or not stopped. But I'm glad they gave him a beatin. Call it poetic justice.
    Fast forward, the wife did what I believe to be legal, she produced a weapon as she was in fear of her husbands life. Had he she shot them, I can see it going either way in court.
    Fast forwarder (yeah, it's a word) when they went back and started shooting, that's no bueno.

Is my CC class, the instructor said when the "odds of you suffering severe bodily harm or death are LIKELY, you can produce the weapon". So, in this case, she was fine. He was a ing **** but he got an whippin.
    fufu wrote: »
    Is my CC class, the instructor said when the "odds of you suffering severe bodily harm or death are LIKELY, you can produce the weapon". So, in this case, she was fine. He was a ing **** but he got an whippin.

Did he also tell you that you can't put yourself into that situation so you can pull your weapon out? Many states have laws against escalation, specifically the duty to retreat. Moreover, the juries aren't so forgiving when you are the one who started it and you're the only one who is armed.

Al
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member

I disagree. Her husband was in the process of committing a felonious assault on someone. To me, at that point, no self defense argument is valid. What if he'd pulled up to a bank, walked in, and gave the teller a note demanding money. She pushes the panic button, and the security guard pulls out his gun. Is the wife justified in acting in his defense now? Or would she be considered an accessory/partner to the crime?
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    Did he also tell you that you can't put yourself into that situation so you can pull your weapon out? Many states have laws against escalation, specifically the duty to retreat. Moreover, the juries aren't so forgiving when you are the one who started it and you're the only one who is armed.

Al

Yes, I figured in this case was different than a normal situation. He was wrong all the way around.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Shooter had been arrested for assault in the past and charges
    dropped.

Both of the young guys have casts on for bones they broke
    on the shooter's face I would guess.
    fufu wrote: »

If her actions stopped there, I might agree. Instead, she handed him the gun with which he proceeded to further threaten/assault the two boys. Not to mention, they left and they BOTH came back to do further damage. I know she wasn't on the trigger herself, but I think she's an accessory.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,958 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    As I got half a car length ahead, I heard his car kick down a gear as he floored it, and sure enough he was right beside me as I hit 60mph. I started to slow and he did at the same pace. He was keeping me in the right lane into possible oncoming traffic that would be coming over another hill.
    Oh yea, the American "How DARE you pass ME!" mentality. My wife has had this happen twice to her. Both times, she just came over anyway. They'll get out of the way...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    I used to be scared of 'Road Rage' .............but I solve that problem by always driving on the footpath now. It also helps keep the road toll down.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Shooter had first court appearance, judge said if
    convicted he could get 4 years.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    Saw this video on the news today, if you watch and listen, you will also see that the doofus that got his butt whipped also negligently discharged that handgun right after his wife handed it to him....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Although I know it's not right. If some douchebag teens in a truck cut me off, I'd want to AT a MINUMUM, beat the living day lights out of them. Done it in the past actually. That was before my days of being a family man and having a ccw.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with wanting to do it bro. I do it several times a day lol. But acting out on it is a completely different subject.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Although I know it's not right. If some douchebag teens in a truck cut me off, I'd want to AT a MINUMUM, beat the living day lights out of them. Done it in the past actually. That was before my days of being a family man and having a ccw.

That be grounds for the Sheriff to come get your CCW.
  • TheRynoTheRyno New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    The real tragedy here is the child. Both of these dumb asses could end up in jail and the one that loses is the child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member

Of course you did.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 337 Member
    Sounds like a pulp fiction, breakfast situation. A real tough one. Just be a bunch of fonzis and be cool. She pulled a gun on a person that was defending himself from the provocateur. If were their were any witnesses to the cutoff then the the worst I could see for them is a traffic ticket. A few misdemeanors and a felony for the other party.

P.S. As my chl instructor told the class, he was a Lt. with the local police force, don't get in trouble when someone is trying to hurt you! Your life is far to important to spend it in jail or spend your money on legal fees. Call me! I've got a brand new taser! I'm just dying to try it out!
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
    TheRyno wrote: »
    The real tragedy here is the child. Both of these dumb asses could end up in jail and the one that loses is the child.

That's one way of thinking about it. The flip side is the kid wins because he/she doesn't go home with an overly aggressive dad or an enabling mom.
    George Carlin
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    I just stay in the slower lanes go with the current of traffic and watch the show. I have the patience of a cat and when someone is flashing lights, tailgating, telling me I'm number one with both hands I just ignore them. I don't acknowledge them, I don't slam on the brakes or do anything stupid. Sooner or later they will pass and be someone else's problem. Why retaliate and risk going to jail and lose your gun rights over some idiot for felony reckless driving?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    I just stay in the slower lanes go with the current of traffic and watch the show. I have the patience of a cat and when someone is flashing lights, tailgating, telling me I'm number one with both hands I just ignore them. I don't acknowledge them, I don't slam on the brakes or do anything stupid. Sooner or later they will pass and be someone else's problem. Why retaliate and risk going to jail and lose your gun rights over some idiot for felony reckless driving?

They payback comes when you pass them a couple of miles up the road in the ditch or spreadeagled on the side of a cop car....doesn't happen often but it's sure fun when it does....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    They payback comes when you pass them a couple of miles up the road in the ditch or spreadeagled on the side of a cop car....doesn't happen often but it's sure fun when it does....

It is fun and only once have I ever got a really good payback-

Once while pulling up to an intersection I eased behind the pickup in front of me. As soon as I stopped he eased ahead a bit, so, with out thinking, I instinctively eased ahead also. For whatever reason this really P.Od the guy and he's doing this jerky ahead-stop-ahead-stop routine as I'm just sitting there listening to the radio. Soon the light for a left turn goes on and the guy who's first out just sits there giving me the bird and other nonsense. After about 7 seconds the light goes yellow and then red and THEN he decides to make his left turn. He figures he's gonna get his payback by making me wait for the next light cycle which I of course oblige. Whatever, no skin off my back. Anyway what this moron didn't notice was the motorcycle cop sitting in a 7-11 parking lot on our right side who was watching the whole episode. The guy runs the red and the cop speeds out with lights flashing. Soon, I get my left turn light and off I go. As I pass this guy who's now pulled over I make brief eye contact with the cop who grins back and gives me a thumbs up. SWEET JUSTICE!!----Figured I share that with ya.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    Tailgaters don't irritate me so much because I have a radiator removal tool mounted in the receiver hitch (6" drop hitch with trailer ball). Tailgating is stupid because if the vehicle being tailgated has to make a rapid braking maneuver due to traffic conditions, the tailgating vehicle has no time to stop.

On the interstate if I'm being tailgated, I just ease up on the throttle slowly. They have the option of tailgating at a speed reduced to minimum speed, or passing. They normally do the latter.

I will NOT follow a vehicle with someone yapping on their cell phone; they tend to be all over the road and speeding up and slowing down erratically. An accident waiting to happen. I pass them as soon as I'm able to safely do so.

Funniest recent tailgating incident I had was a Honda Civic riding my bumper on a state road I take to go to town. Guy would NOT get off my bumper no way, no how. I topped a hill and there was a very freshly killed deer carcass in the middle of the lane. I knew my truck had enough clearance to miss it by driving over it, and I did. The Honda was not so lucky. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »

Funniest recent tailgating incident I had was a Honda Civic riding my bumper on a state road I take to go to town. Guy would NOT get off my bumper no way, no how. I topped a hill and there was a very freshly killed deer carcass in the middle of the lane. I knew my truck had enough clearance to miss it by driving over it, and I did. The Honda was not so lucky. :tooth:

That was too funny. Was it one of those lowered imports that kids like to race around in?