Home Main Category Clubhouse

chip (fries) oil = water = fireball

tigman.uktigman.uk MemberPosts: 332 Member
this is why if you have a pan of cooking oil on fire, you never add water to try to put it out

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    The best thing to do in such a situation is to use an extinguisher. If one is not available, baking soda can be used, as well as a metal pan lid (oven mits help) If those items are not available take a dish towel (like the one usually hung on the oven to dry hands) and wet it in the sink, ring it out quickly to make it wet but not dripping, then cover the burning pan with the towel. It also helps to remove the heat source from the pan.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    just not down the drain
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Bah....ya got fire, break out the marshmellows!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Mythbusters played with this several years ago, tried to see how big they could get the flames to go. Like Sir George said, extinguisher, baking soda or a wet towel, anything to smother the fire.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    First choice...Class K extinguisher....

Knew a gal that had a grease fire going, was out of baking soda, so flung flour at the stove (hey...it's powdery and white)....the ensuing fireball was stupendous...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Knew a gal that had a grease fire going, was out of baking soda, so flung flour at the stove (hey...it's powdery and white)....the ensuing fireball was stupendous...

Grain dust explosions have taken down quite a few grain elevators. I bet the fireball from the flour being thrown at the grease fire was exciting! :tooth:

When that water hit the hot oil, the resulting steam explosion made an aerosol oil vapor that caused the hot oil to really burn. But you know that; exposing maximum amount of fuel to oxygen to make a fireball. Kind of like a BLEVE, without the explosion bit.

That's why turkey frying should be done outdoors with a turkey that has been toweled as dry as possible. That water to steam expansion thing can get out of hand quick!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member

Sugar will do the same thing.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    rednecks frying turkeys learn that lesson every year. They either put a wet or still frozen turkey into a too-hot fryer, or try to put out an oil-overflow fire with water (or beer).

And, like a tornado and an Arkansas divorce, someone's going to lose a trailer.

(Let it be known that I fry turkey and love it. But I do it safely)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I will never fry another turkey after I put one in the smoker for Christmas. There weren't much for leftovers, but there was a pile of untouched meat on the bird that was cooked in the new fangled inferred cooker.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member

I bet that was rather exciting. Used to know a guy whose college dorms had a stairwell that was open from the ground floor to the fifth. He and a buddy bought the biggest container of coffee creamer that they could find. One at the top dumping and shaking, the other at the bottom with a lighter. By his report it was awe inspiring. They managed to escape before campus security and the fire department arrived.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Oh my God! Does this mean we are gonna be hit by fried turkey terrorists? Or will our Government ban baking soda? Just asking. :uhm: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    Why would they ban baking soda?
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Because we want/need it. Do they need a better reason other than fighting turkey terrorists and grease fires overall. :tooth: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.