Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

1.6 Billion round of ammo to Homeland Security

SnaketailSnaketail MemberPosts: 33 Member
I'm sure this is old new to many of you, but Homeland Security is buying 1.6 billion ("B"-BILLION) rounds of ammunition. They are buying several different types of ammo; hollow point, ball, and more. Let's look at 1.6 billion rounds of ammo - thats is enough for all the Homeland Security agencies like Border Patrol, Coast Guard, TSA, etc to practice daily and carry fully loaded weapons for the next 100 years. It is 10 time the amount of ammo used in the entire Gulf War. 1.6 Billion rounds is more ammunition than the military will buy. If it was 1.6 billion sheets of toilet paper someone in Washington would start asking questions. And, would you, as an informed shooter, want to trust your life to 100-year-old ammo in the year 2113?

I suggest we all email our senators and tell them our concerns - How do they plan to use this ammo on? Are they buying it to keep it out of "our" hands, or are they expecting an invasion. The excessive purchase of 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition by Homeland Security should be investigated by our elected senators and representatives.

If you don't know who to write to, or where to send an e-mail all you need to do is go to yahoo and type in "Senator for Texas" or whichever state you live in - their names and contact info will come up. Simply ask the senator to look into the excessive amount of ammunition that is being purchased by Homeland Security.

I live in Arizona and I sent a message to Senator John McCain. I'm concerned that they are using our tax money to disarm us. Have you tried to buy ammo lately?

Michael

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    Is any of it .22LR?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SnaketailSnaketail Member Posts: 33 Member
    Public radio reported yesterday that the purchase "covered all calibers." I can't image this is completely correct - why would they want something like .416 Rigby. I don't know how to find out what is included.

M
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Snaketail wrote: »
    Public radio reported yesterday that the purchase "covered all calibers." I can't image this is completely correct - why would they want something like .416 Rigby. I don't know how to find out what is included.

M

That's silly.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Hold everything!!
    I gotta put my aluminum foil hat on!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hey- - - -let them go ahead and buy it! That way it will be available when we need to raid their storage facilities. The Syrian rebels are using the ammo they get from every government arsenal they capture- - - -no reason we shouldn't have the same opportunity!
    Jerry
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

M

Covered all calibers that they USE... 9mm, 40 & 45 cal...

Geez
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'm sure this is old new to many of you, but Homeland Security is buying 1.6 billion ("B"-BILLION) rounds of ammunition.

No, they are not.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/03/27/billions-of-bullets-and-thousands-of-mraps-oh-my/

They are actually buying about 900 rounds per employee, per year. I don't know about you, but 900 rounds of ammo a year isn't very much, IMO.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    No, they are not.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/03/27/billions-of-bullets-and-thousands-of-mraps-oh-my/

They are actually buying about 900 rounds per employee, per year. I don't know about you, but 900 rounds of ammo a year isn't very much, IMO.
    Not when compaired to the Base game warden, he gets 3000 a year.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Hurryin' HoosierHurryin' Hoosier New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Is that where all the 9X18 Makarov went?
    "We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin."
  • 2manyhobbies2manyhobbies Member Posts: 49 Member
    No, they are not.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/dhs-buying-360000-more-rounds/

http://joemiller.us/2013/04/dhs-finally-responds-to-senate-demand-for-ammo-info-but-its-numbers-dont-pencil-out/

Not in todays news story... over 3,500 per employee per year and that from the head of DHS ... When Asked why her department is hoarding so much ammo "She took the fifth"...
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/dhs-buying-360000-more-rounds/

http://joemiller.us/2013/04/dhs-finally-responds-to-senate-demand-for-ammo-info-but-its-numbers-dont-pencil-out/

Not in todays news story... over 3,500 per employee per year and that from the head of DHS ... When Asked why her department is hoarding so much ammo "She took the fifth"...

Ok in the first place the supposed 1.6 billion rounds is to be purchased over the next 5 years not the past year.

"...the DHS has just announced it plans to purchase another 360,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition to add to the roughly 2 billion bullets already bought over the past year."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/dhs-buying-360000-more-rounds/#V7JbG7ruomu4YpVT.99

The 450 million order is for 5 years as is the 750 million order and chances are very very good that neither of them will actually be for the amounts specified.

Second, in the article that claims the numbers don't add up they forgot to add in all the state and local police and sherrif departments that train on the DHS facilities which they claim have far more ammo than DHS agents need. Wonder why they forgot to mention all those other officers that use up ammo in training?

IF they purchased 2 billion rounds why is it they only have less than 50 million at either of the two facilities mentioned?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    World Net Daily and a blog are reliable news sources?

BTW, has anyone been able to find where they get the 1.6 billion round number from? Anyone?
    Overkill is underrated.
    World Net Daily and a blog are reliable news sources?

BTW, has anyone been able to find where they get the 1.6 billion round number from? Anyone?

My guess is they added the one 750 million "order" and the other 450 million "order" Then added in a few other "orders" and rounded up a bit.
    The 750 "order" is an expansion of the 450 "order" if I remember correctly. The numbers are changing but it's all the same stuff, I believe.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Considering all the conflicting information on where the stimulus money went and what benefit the American taxpayer actually derived from it, how much Obamacare is going to cost, what the sequester cuts are actually affecting, what the real unemployment numbers are, etc., etc., why would anybody expect to get hard facts on this deal?

The two things I know for sure about this administration is that (1) they lie about anything and everything, and then try to punish whoever calls them on it, and (2) they don't give a rat's asse about what the unenlightened 50% of the population (taxpayers) think(s) about it. Why wouldn't anybody expect the worst from them, and why wouldn't a logical person assume the worst from them?

I understand the need to verify the stories that pop up every day about their latest absurd actions. The problem is that they are past masters at obstructing all such attempts to examine the details of any expenditure. They usually succeed by putting up yet another 'straw man' that draws attention away from what they want to hide. Hell, this ammo deal may be one.

Bottom line: You can't find out anything without journalists keeping the pressure on, and the few real journalists that remain have bigger fish to fry.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Considering all the conflicting information on where the stimulus money went and what benefit the American taxpayer actually derived from it, how much Obamacare is going to cost, what the sequester cuts are actually affecting, what the real unemployment numbers are, etc., etc., why would anybody expect to get hard facts on this deal?

The two things I know for sure about this administration is that (1) they lie about anything and everything, and then try to punish whoever calls them on it, and (2) they don't give a rat's asse about what the unenlightened 50% of the population (taxpayers) think(s) about it. Why wouldn't anybody expect the worst from them, and why wouldn't a logical person assume the worst from them?

I understand the need to verify the stories that pop up every day about their latest absurd actions. The problem is that they are past masters at obstructing all such attempts to examine the details of any expenditure. They usually succeed by putting up yet another 'straw man' that draws attention away from what they want to hide. Hell, this ammo deal may be one.

Bottom line: You can't find out anything without journalists keeping the pressure on, and the few real journalists that remain have bigger fish to fry.

Nice. I agree with that. I don't think a lot of things are meant to be known.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,502 Senior Member
    Don't know about all of the other stuff.
    That is a very small amount for those who train a lot.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Part of the issue, when it comes to journalists, is that the people:
    1. Can't tell the difference between commentators and actual journalists.
    2. Commentators are cheaper to hire and pay than journalists.
    3. Commentary can be put together quicker, and with less attention paid to facts than an actual journalist article.
    4. People don't want to wait on actual reporting, nor do they have the memory to keep up with such endeavors.

As a market-driven beast, the news has given way to commentary, which is cheaper and more profitable. Actual journalism is dying out.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    3. Commentary can be put together quicker, and with less attention paid to facts than an actual journalist article.
    4. People don't want to wait on actual reporting, nor do they have the memory to keep up with such endeavors.

As a market-driven beast, the news has given way to commentary, which is cheaper and more profitable. Actual journalism is dying out.

Agreed.

I have seen countless topics on this subject from many different places. If the DHS really needs all this stuff. What are they preparing for? Do they think that someone is going to land here they need to be prepared for? Who is in there line of site? It's late and I decided to put on the tinfoil hat.
    The 750 "order" is an expansion of the 450 "order" if I remember correctly. The numbers are changing but it's all the same stuff, I believe.

I believe you are correct but I am not able to confirm this since when I go to look most of what I find are the sites claiming that 1.6 billion rounds+ were purchased in the last year.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hey- - - -let them go ahead and buy it! That way it will be available when we need to raid their storage facilities. The Syrian rebels are using the ammo they get from every government arsenal they capture- - - -no reason we shouldn't have the same opportunity!
    Jerry
    :that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

:that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    you must prepare das troops for the transition to Einensatz Gruppen......
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    This again! Please do the MATH instead of the DRAMA...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    This again! Please do the MATH instead of the DRAMA...

I lack the necessary imagination. One must have exceptional creative talent to solve for 'x,' when 'y' and 'z' are unknown.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    The more strenuously the government denies a thing without putting forth the facts, the more people believe it must be true.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member

...the "NEWS", as we get it comes from a few "Collectives", like AP, Rueters, etc. Individual reports are fed into the system, where they are condensed, edited, & released w/ whatever content & context the "Media" decides to promote. Raw news of the actual events or true context of the events is pretty rare...

...even w/ "live footage", like the Presidential Debates we are coerced by herds of "pundits" who's job is to convince us that "What you heard wasn't actually what they said, & what they said wasn't actually what you heard"...
    Ok in the first place the supposed 1.6 billion rounds is to be purchased over the next 5 years not the past year.
    "...the DHS has just announced it plans to purchase another 360,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition to add to the roughly 2 billion bullets already bought over the past year."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/dhs-buying-360000-more-rounds/#V7JbG7ruomu4YpVT.99

The 450 million order is for 5 years as is the 750 million order and chances are very very good that neither of them will actually be for the amounts specified.

Second, in the article that claims the numbers don't add up they forgot to add in all the state and local police and sherrif departments that train on the DHS facilities which they claim have far more ammo than DHS agents need. Wonder why they forgot to mention all those other officers that use up ammo in training?

IF they purchased 2 billion rounds why is it they only have less than 50 million at either of the two facilities mentioned?

Do the math that is still about 360-56' semi trailer loads of ammo per year... With more rounds per employee than most avid shooters let fly per year.
    Do the math that is still about 360-56' semi trailer loads of ammo per year... With more rounds per employee than most avid shooters let fly per year.

You do the math and explain to me where they get that DHS purchased 1.6 billion rounds in the last year. It doesn't add up, it doesn't now and it wont in the furture, but these wbesites will keep on spouting that it does.

Do you know how much ammo, the agencies that make up the DHS now, purchased in oh lets say 2000? What about 1995? Do you know how much ammo DHS purchased in its first year? How about the subsequent years? Fact is neither do these websites and yet they claim that the govt hasn't been making these amounts of purchases all along.
    You do the math and explain to me where they get that DHS purchased 1.6 billion rounds in the last year. It doesn't add up, it doesn't now and it wont in the furture, but these wbesites will keep on spouting that it does.

Do you know how much ammo, the agencies that make up the DHS now, purchased in oh lets say 2000? What about 1995? Do you know how much ammo DHS purchased in its first year? How about the subsequent years? Fact is neither do these websites and yet they claim that the govt hasn't been making these amounts of purchases all along.

ADD their proposed purchase number up.....