Home Main Category Clubhouse

Time for new tools- Cordless recommendations?

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
My old Black & Decker cordless drill is crapping out after 10 or 12 years. I really only need a new drill but I think I'll get a combo kit with some other tools too. Not exactly sure what else but I'm thinking a circular saw and sawzall, an sander would be nice too, maybe a vacuum to clean up the messes I make when I use tools. They all seem to come with a flashlight too.
Anyway, wondering if you guys have suggestions for brand, voltage, features to look for. I don't need them for work, just home projects, so I don't need top o line professional stuff. Just looking for good quality, bang for your buck tools. Thanks.

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I have the biggest mishmash of cordless tools...
    DeWalt, Makita, B&D, Bosch, Snap-On,

none of the combo's are going to have everything you want..
    One is gonna have an impact driver instead of a drill.. the other a scroll saw instead of a sawz-all.. that's how they get you to buy all the stuff.. you get the $500 combo pack, and have to spend an additional $350 on the ONE thing you really needed...

just get extra batteries and chargers..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Don't get teh Ryobi ones from Home Depot. The batteries don't last worth a darn.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :that: I have to schedule when I to use my Ryobi drill just so I can charge the batts overnight.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Dewalt 18V.

And I agree with JL about the combos. Unless the combo has exactly what you want, I'd just buy the tools that you want individually with extra batteries.

The Dewalt 18V drill usually runs about $130 to $140, but you can sometimes find them on sale for $99. That's how I got mine. Came with 2 batteries and charger.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Dewalt 18V.

And I agree with JL about the combos. Unless the combo has exactly what you want, I'd just buy the tools that you want individually with extra batteries.

The Dewalt 18V drill usually runs about $130 to $140, but you can sometimes find them on sale for $99. That's how I got mine. Came with 2 batteries and charger.

Stay far, far away from the combo units. They are crap. Pay more for a single item.

I too have the DeWalt 18v drill. Going strong after 6 years, same original two batteries, charges very fast.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,930 Senior Member
    The Dewalt 18v combo are good. For the money you can look at the Craftsman 19.2 combo packs. They are a little heavy but that is the ones I have been running for years. You can always go back and buy different pieces when you need to. You can catch the drill, flashlight, charger and two batteries on sale for 79 bucks a lot of times.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I use the Porter Cable cordless ones and they work just fine. The good thing about them is that they sell the individual tools separately without the extra batteries and chargers. I use the Ni-Cad batteries because they work just fine and can be rebuilt. Whatever you get, make sure you get an impact driver. Those work awesome!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • remmosremmos New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    When I was looking, I ended up with cpo outlet reconditioned. No problems yet (kow)
  • SuperacercSuperacerc New Member Posts: 22 New Member
    I'm a dewalt guy. Ive got about 6 of the 18v ones still going strong from when I got them in 2006. Ive had 2 batteries recently give up out of the four I had for 6 years.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I have this "kit" from Sears. It's rated 4.5 stars out of 5 for 219 reviews. I give it 5 stars.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19.2-volt-4-pc-c3-combo-kit/p-00911404000P

Craftsman 19.2 volt 4 piece C3 Combo Kit
    It comes with a drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw and portable light, all powered by the same battery packs. The circular saw is a small (5 1/4") blade model and I've found it to be very handy. The reciprocating saw with the "pruning" blade is most useful for trimming trees on my property and I've used it a lot. There are many other tools available for these 19.2 volt battery packs from Sears. This kit has two batteries, a charger and a convenient storage bag. I love it. I even bought a third battery when they were on sale at the local Sears store.

Here are some more of the many tools that they have available for the 19.2 volt packs.

http://www.sears.com/search=19.2+cordless+tools?vName=Tools&autoRedirect=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    Last Black Friday, I got the Craftsman Nextec impact for $99, and the drill was free (both had a battery included).... Not something I would use on a constuction site, but the lithium batteries last much longer than you would think for their size.

craftsman-nextec-12-0-volt-right-angle-impact-driver-craftsman-01430-nextec-12-volt-cordless-drilldriver
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    If you got 10 years out of a B&D cordless, they you are not using them real hard.

I am the same way, I use them hard, once in a while. I own a Milwakee corded 1/2 in hammer drill and a Skil 18v cordless (72?? on sale Lowes??). I have replaced the cordless with another Skil 18V cordless with after the old one gave up the ghost in about 6 years. This one is about 4 years old and I only broke out the corded once for the mancave renovation. Getting the batteries rebuilt cost the same as getting a new drill. This one came with a light that I tried out for the first time this Feb.

Buy a really good corded drill, and a decent cordless drill/driver.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Stay far, far away from the combo units. They are crap. Pay more for a single item.

I too have the DeWalt 18v drill. Going strong after 6 years, same original two batteries, charges very fast.

I bought a combo pack, went against my beter judgement and got a B&D 18v it wasnt worth a damn the saw would crap out after cutting a sheet of plywood. I only buy Dewalt or Milwaukee, the higher the voltage the better. he trouble with cordless is when the batts. die it costs almost as much to get new ones as it does to buy a new tool.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    FYI Milwaukee is owned by the same Japanese company that makes Ryobi, since 05. They are not the same tools they once were. Likely you did know that Dewalt is Black and Deckers pro line.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    The Hilti brand lithium ion battery cordless tools are awesome. Battery life is great, kinda expensive.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Thanks for the input. I'm checking out Dewalt and Porter Cable on the Lowes site right now. I'll check out Makita later too, Lowes doesn't have them. Thanks for the heads up on Ryobi, I was looking at them earlier but if their batteries suck I'm willing to spend a little more. I have circular saw with a cord now but a cordless would be nice too for smaller jobs where I just need to cut a few things. I live in a second and third floor apartment and have to run an extension cord out to the yard to use the saw. Kind of pain for small jobs but I deal with it for lengthy projects.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Hitachi, DeWalt, Bosch in that order...
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I use the Porter Cable cordless ones and they work just fine. The good thing about them is that they sell the individual tools separately without the extra batteries and chargers. I use the Ni-Cad batteries because they work just fine and can be rebuilt. Whatever you get, make sure you get an impact driver. Those work awesome!

Yes. Exactly.
    I know Dewalt is high quality but the price is a bit high for me. Porter Cable is looking good, bit more affordable.
    What about Ridgid, Kobalt, Hitachi?
    Right now I'm looking at these 2 sets, Porter Cable and Kobalt.
    http://www.lowes.com/LowesProductComparisionCmd?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&NeParam=4294937087&NParam=4294857980&NttParam=&pcompitems=1244431,1244567,3399920&returnShoppingUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lowes.com%2FTools%2FPower-Tool-Combo-Kits%2F_%2FN-1z0yhrw%2Fpl%23!%26N%255B%255D%3D1z0yhrw%26N%255B%255D%3D1z0zf08%26N%255B%255D%3D1z1199b%26N%255B%255D%3D1z13y07%26N%255B%255D%3D1z140vv%26N%255B%255D%3D2z8vo%26N%255B%255D%3D2z8vp%26Ns%3Dp_product_price%257C0%26page%3D1
    Same tools, both 18v lithium ion. Kobalt has a better warranty and 3.0 amp hours vs. 2.6 for P/C but I don't which is better quality.
    The Kobalt got better reviews on Lowe's site but I'd still like to hear from anyone here who has experience with them. Porter Cable got the :up: already and I know Jerm's tools get a lot of use. No one mentioned Kobalt so I'm hesitant to go there.
    Get the NiCad set on the left and be done. That is the set I bought and have had it for a few years without any problem. The reason for the NiCad is that you can either rebuild the batteries yourself, or have a place like Batteries Plus do it for you. The lithium batteries are lighter and have a bit more power but they are expensive and you can't service them if something goes wrong. I have always had batteries go before the actual tool does and end out buying a new tool because the price for just the battery is usually the same as the battery and new tool. The way the Porter Cable system works, is that you can buy a couple more NiCads for $60, add on an impact for $50, a hammer drill for $60, compressor/inflater for $50, angle grinder for $50, sabre saw for $50, and the radio runs off the batteries or 110V for $100...
    885911222907lg.jpg
    If you manage to break a drill, saw, or whatever... you run out and buy a new tool for $50-$60 and be done with it as opposed to buying a new set.
    -Thomas Paine
    If I was doing it now, I would start with the drill, saw, charger, and 2 batteries in this $80 kit...
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_37894-79992-PC218C-2_0__?productId=1208983&Ntt=porter+cable&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable&facetInfo=
    Then toss on this saw for $40...
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_37604-70-PC18RS_0__?productId=3478873&Ntt=porter+cable&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable&facetInfo=
    and an impact for $50
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_159330-79992-PC18ID_0__?productId=3051341&Ntt=porter+cable&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable&facetInfo=
    For a total of $170, that is a good set. Screw the flashlight. Headlamps (like I am wearing in my avatar) work so much better.
    -Thomas Paine
    Thanks lot Jerm! I didn't know about being able to rebuild the batteries. Was just going with lithium ion because they're stronger. But I like having more tools for the same money and being able to buy more batteries without selling a kidney. Looks like a good deal.
    Now a trick for everyone else... I have to go to jobs with no power quite often. One of these little 100 watt inverters is what I use to charge my cordless tool batteries, laptop, cell phone, wifi, etc...
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-PC1A09-Power-Inverter-Outlet/dp/B001U04MYE/ref=sr_1_38?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1364742828&sr=1-38&keywords=power+inverter
    -Thomas Paine
    Thanks again Jerm. Done deal. Got the drill and circular saw combo, sawsall, impact driver, sander, vacuum and two more batteries (4 total). Almost got the jigsaw and right angle drill too but it was getting pricey. Maybe they'll show up when x-mas rolls around again.
  • mike94yjmike94yj New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Ryobi lithium are a great value. Ridgid as a step up. You cant beat the warranty, but you have to register it asap. Cordless tools are not the answer to someone who uses them occasionally. The problem with craftsman is they change tools and batteries tooooo often. Ryobi tools and batteries are interchangeable. When the batteries give out you can always grab a few off the shelf and your back in business.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    Use impact more than my drill. I got one of these for my impact.......

716927_300.jpg

Cut the time to rotate my tires in half. Crack the lugs 1/2 turn with 18'' breaker while the car is on the ground, put on jack stands, zip em off with the impact, rotate, replace lugs a turn by hand, zip em down with the impact, put car down, then tighten with torque wrench to 75#, then 115#.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson