Pendelton safe test

olesniperolesniper Senior MemberPosts: 3,767 Senior Member
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Great ad for safe, it's redneck proof. :fan: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Nothing there!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Sounds like a empty barrel drum rolling around. I'll pass.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Impressive - but one needs to remember this is nothing that couldn't be handled by a good cutting torch.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    If you really wanted to crack a safe... the way it was done in the olden days was dynamite. Quite a few railcars were destroyed that way, too.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Impressive - but one needs to remember this is nothing that couldn't be handled by a good cutting torch.

From the sound that safe made while rolling around you could just use a can opener.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Maybe its just me....but the following phrase came to mind. 'Like watching a bunch of **** trying to hump a door knob'.

The first thing is that most of the 'blows' were ineffective cause the safe was able to 'roll with the punches'. I would say that the force of the attacks was diminished to a great extent by the safe laying on the rounded portion. I think things would have been different if they had stood the safe on end and worked their way from the top to the bottom of the door. That way, the force of the blows would have been more efficient.

Second, there didn't seem to be a 'plan', just a bunch of guys hitting the safe with a bunch of different weapons of 'safe destruction'. Most of the blows were 'less than scientific' and a lot of energy was expended for little reward.

I am not saying that the safe is defective, what I am saying is that giving a bunch of guys a handful of tools and telling them to 'go for it' doesn't mean very much in my mind. While the 'demo' would approximate a bunch of burglars attacking a 'target of opportunity' I somehow think that a couple of determined guys who 'know their business' would be far more effective.

But that's just me.

However I have no doubt that if we made up a crew of the members here like Teach, Tennmike, etc who were given the same tools, the safe would be opened with a lot less effort.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Kinda reminded me of the saying about a bunch of monkeys having sex with a football.... The strong part of the safe is the door and frame. I wonder how long it'd take a good cold chisel and hammer to knock a hole thru the back side...

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    They forgot the drill and the sawzall.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    From the sound that safe made while rolling around you could just use a can opener.

154130_lg.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I do like the lazy-susan idea so you don't have to pull out all of the guns to get to the back. Not an effective use of space though........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 671 Senior Member
    I saw them 2yrs ago at SHOT. I really liked them I know in the video they sound not well built but they seemed to me to be built as well as my browning safe. And the lazy Susan idea is awesome. I was really thinking about buying one just for that. Last year I found Reed safes with pull out gun shelfs now I am thinking about one of them.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bending a corner up one second and then beating what I just bent back down with a sledge hammer the next like those folks.Alec, the phrase that came to MY mind had something to do with a monkey breeding a football

Ed Zachery!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    OK > After the damage suffered in the attempt to break in, I'd like to see the owner get back in. I don't think he can with the combination cylinder broken off. The owner is still out his goods.
    Think I'd rather have a rack that pulled straight out.....

Pull-Out-6-Gun.jpg
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    The pull out racks are nice, but incredibly inefficient when it comes the number of guns they hold vs. the space used up. Pendelton's rotary design is great in that regard, but my one big beef with them is they provide zero fire protection. That's likely why it has a "tin can" sound to it when struck despite pretty heavy gauge metal - there's no fiberboard or other filler to dampen the blows. They go by the sales pitch that since the flames will almost certainly get any safe above the temp where the guns would be saved because of metal tempering/plastic/wood damage, my counter-point is that I use my safe for more than just guns. Important documents are still well below charring in the majority of fire safes, as are jewelry and other valuables.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Give me 10 minutes with a 7" angle grinder and a few cutoff wheels. All the hammering and prying looks pretty useless, but cutting the hinges off or just whacking a hole in the side wouldn't be too difficult.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If the safe isn't bolted to the floor, just use a dolly to roll it out to the truck backed up to the door, slide it in the truck bed and take off to your garage. Then use and angle grinder or other steel cutting tool to remove bottom of safe and remove firearms at your leisure. Trying to get into the safe through the door is counterproductive as it's the strongest part of the safe. Kind of like trying to field dress a buffalo by going through the top of the skull; it's unsatisfactory.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams