Home Main Category General Firearms

New guy gets inspired

simplesimonsimplesimon MemberPosts: 48 Member
Hello everyone. This is my first post and as usual it is to seek advice. I've been inspired by the recent posts of others building AR's. Last weekend I picked up a spikes tactical lower and planned to slowly acquire parts and put together an inexpensive lightweight rifle. That plan changed when I found out a relative has a RRA 24" varmint upper for sale that he is giving me a great deal on.

Here's the question. I have very limited experience shooting past 100 yds, and have no idea what kind of scope I need to get the most out of this upper. Budget is pretty small for now, but I know I'm going to want to shoot it before too long.

So what does everybody think?

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Welcome! Several of us here use the Millett DMS-1 scope on our ARs; it's really good glass for a little over $200 if you shop a bit.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    Welcome. Define "small budget." It will have to include rings or a mout.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Welcome!...How far out past 100 yards do you want to shoot? Don't need to get fancy with the glass, any decent piece of glass in the 3-9 or 4-12 range will take you out as far as that .223 is going to shoot...

My designated coyote rifle is a 24" Bushmaster...It wears a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster...but in truth it stays on 6X most of the time...

004.jpg

Burris, Nikon and Leupold are all making one piece mount/ring combinations that make sticking a scope on that rig as simple as can be... (About $70.00)
    005-4.jpg
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If you do not have enough money for a scope, practice with iron sights for a while...

I experimented with lots of scopes while working at a gun store / range, and in reality you do not have to spend lots of money on a scope.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Okay, others have had their Savage outing I'll admit I bought a Mueller APT 4.5-14X40 AO w/ a Burris P.E.P.R. mount for just under $240 w/ free shipping for my kids upcoming birthday AR. A couple people here said they had seen them first hand and aside from being made in China I can't find a reason not to gamble on one for the kid to beat on.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • simplesimonsimplesimon Member Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks for the info everybody. Definition of the budget is easy. Right now its about $0.00 I'll need to save money to get the scope or possibly sell a motorcycle. Hopefully I can keep the price low so I can get started sooner rather than later. I also need to find a place to shoot it. Seems like the only rifle range in the Kansas City area is owned by a club. I'm not against joining the club, even one that would have me for a member, but evidently you need to be sponsored by a current member and get interviewed for approval. Anybody on here a member of the Millcreek Rifle Club?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Welcome simplesimon
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    My go to scope line for a good compromise between "budget" and "quality" is the Nikon Buckmaster series. You'd probably do fine with either the 3-9 or the 4.5-14 (I think that's the one they have). I've been hunting with one on my M700 since 2007 and I've got 0 complaints.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Redfield Scopes are worth looking at as well - I have their 4-12 on my 20" 6.8 SPC...

Are you in KS or MO?
    "Seems like the only rifle range in the Kansas City area is owned by a club. I'm not against joining the club, even one that would have me for a member, but evidently you need to be sponsored by a current member and get interviewed for approval."

It is not hard to get into clubs like those, you just need to be a sane & safe and proper acting gun owner.
    They have an infrastructure like that to avoid getting whackos as members.

Most clubs have an annual open house event to introduce prospective members, once I was a member of a 24 hr / 7 day gun club / range, so My limited CCW could be used continually.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I'm in Olathe Kansas. About 30 minutes east of KU and south of KC. I will have to look into an openhouse. I noticed some contact info on the CMP clubs list.

Thanks again everybody. If you all have any other helpful hints please feel free to share. This will be the first time I've put a lower together. I already bookmarked a couple instructional links posted by others here, but any info is welcome.
    Once you get that rig put together, you're welcome to bring it over to my range and we'll work the bugs out of it...I'm south of Salina and the range is about a mile from the house...Make it a day trip...we'll toss some deer on the grill...PM me if it sounds like a plan...
    Now that sounds like fun !!!
    Working up an AR-15 and savory venison !!!
    A cold cold beer after the shooting with the venison and it can't get any better !!!
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    24 inch VArminter? I see that the Nikons have been mentioned. I run a 6-18 Nikon on this 20 inch RRA national match barrel.

shootingbench360010ox5.jpg
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Hey Jayhawker. that sounds good to me and I'm in Kentucky....
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Hey Jayhawker. that sounds good to me and I'm in Kentucky....

Doors always open to my friends...
    This is a great forum, with great people. I'm so glad that I found it. Thank you's all around. They say you can tell a lot about a man by the company he keeps, and I can see that I'm in good company here so far. Sounds like there has been some turmoil and management changes recently. Hopefully the quality of people and comraderie I've found so far are here to stay.