Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Think the government doesn't do anything for you?

HakkonenHakkonen MemberPosts: 251 Member
Scientists at the University of Georgia, funded by a Department of Energy grant, have a way to take CO2 out of the atmosphere and turn it into fuel:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130326112301.htm
"If money is speech, then no money means no speech." --Bill Moyers

Money is not speech, corporations are not people, and wealth does not trickle down.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    m7dz6t.jpg

Could not find it in the article...how many taxpayer dollars did this science project cost? How long is it going to take for this to make a difference in the cost of filling my gas tank?

Bottom line...considering the state of our country at this time, if it's not immediately useful the "government" has no business funding it.... of course canceling a couple of the royal families vacations probably would have paid for it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    Playing with the genome of bacteria. There have to be some nasty side effects to this.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    And it inadvertently gets released to the environment, evolves or mutates, takes too much CO2 from the atmosphere, all plant life is driven to extinction, and us with it. Scientists are like 16 year old kids in a Ferrari going 180 mph and seeing the brick wall in front of them way too late. Too much, "This is neat stuff!" and not enough "What if?" going on.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,144 Senior Member
    Oh, the Govt does a lot for me. They take 40% of my earnings and make my hobby as hard to enjoy as they can get away with.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    They might have a way. From the article:

Their discovery may soon lead to the creation of biofuels made directly from the carbon dioxide in the air that is responsible for trapping the sun's rays and raising global temperatures.

Language indicates a definite maybe.
    Overkill is underrated.
    They might have a way. From the article:

Their discovery may soon lead to the creation of biofuels made directly from the carbon dioxide in the air that is responsible for trapping the sun's rays and raising global temperatures.

Language indicates a definite maybe.

That makes no sense. You take it out of the atmosphere, convert it to fuel, burn it, and put it back in the atmosphere. 1-1=0; no net gain or loss in CO2. Mikey is crazy, but Mikey isn't dumb! :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    actually, the conversion process itself takes up energy. Thus there is less fuel from the product mass, and the pollution really won't change all that much, thus what we have here... would be a net negative gain. I think...
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    For one thing many of us believe that most of that BS about the green house gases is a crock anyway. If they want to do something for me, redo the tax code and stop robbing us and giving to the "Dolittles!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    That makes no sense. You take it out of the atmosphere, convert it to fuel, burn it, and put it back in the atmosphere. 1-1=0; no net gain or loss in CO2. Mikey is crazy, but Mikey isn't dumb! :tooth:

If it gives the tree huggers a warm fuzzy and they leave my F150 alone, I am for it!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    If it gives the tree huggers a warm fuzzy and they leave my F150 alone, I am for it!

If the greenies aren't charging the batteries of their electric vehicles with photovoltaic or solar furnace produced electricity, then they are sniveling little snarky hypocrites. Using fossil fuel produced electricity to charge their car batteries is pretty lame. Cow pies are green, too, and smell better than the greenie tree huggers. Sayin'. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    If the greenies aren't charging the batteries of their electric vehicles with photovoltaic or solar furnace produced electricity, then they are sniveling little snarky hypocrites. Using fossil fuel produced electricity to charge their car batteries is pretty lame. Cow pies are green, too, and smell better than the greenie tree huggers. Sayin'. :tooth:

You mean, they drive coal fired motorcycles?
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

yes, they do.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The contemporary Left is made up of "watermelon liberals" - nice and "green" outside but bright "red" inside. Lots of carbon dioxide makes for bigger, stronger, healthier plants, which pump out lots of oxygen which makes for bigger, stronger, healthier animals. What liberals have against plants and animals is a mystery to me.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    First thing that comes to mind are the Interstates. Eisenhower
    The under recognized benefit of converting at least a portion of our transport to electricity is diversification. Petroleum is the most limited of the depleting fossil fuels and the most subject to global market factors. We are still self sufficient in NG, Coal, Nuclear, Wind, Hydro, Solar etc. As our transportation system is currently constructed a country like Iran has the capability to cripple our economy by targeting vulnerable oil infrastructure/transportation routes in the middle east while they have no ability to affect domestic prices of natural gas, coal, or uranium.

And we have the ability to remove them from the face of the planet. Next problem.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Yes, we are on the verge of eliminating fossil fuels.
    But Big Oil controls our politicians.
    We're still giving billions in substities to an industry that is making record breaking profits.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    Yes, we are on the verge of eliminating fossil fuels.

Should I hold my breath waiting for that to happen or what?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    But Big Oil controls our politicians.

A bit of a hijack, but why do people show such disdain for companies that make their lives easier?

Examples:

Big Oil - provides you with fuel to travel and fuel for all the crap we buy.
    Big Pharma - provides people with medications they need.
    Big Ag - provides people with food

These are considered "evil" but the same people think that Big Gov't is a blessing.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member

I LOVE pointing that out to the little hypocrites.

Tree Hugger: " We need to change all vehicles into electric vehicles!"

Me: "Okay, where does the electricity come from?"

Tree Hugger: (sound of crickets chirping)

Me: "That's what I thought."
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    steffen19k wrote: »
    Playing with the genome of bacteria. There have to be some nasty side effects to this.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • damnthingdamnthing Member Posts: 32 Member
    I LOVE pointing that out to the little hypocrites.

Tree Hugger: " We need to change all vehicles into electric vehicles!"

Me: "Okay, where does the electricity come from?"

Tree Hugger: (sound of crickets chirping)

Me: "That's what I thought."

Off the top of my head:

Nuclear
    Hydro
    Trash to Energy plants
    Wind Farms

Clean energy = a clean environment
    crickets, anyone?
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    damnthing wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:

Nuclear
    Hydro
    Trash to Energy plants
    Wind Farms

crickets, anyone?

Yup, nothings changed. Printing a couple of words doesn't change the way electricity is currently generated. You don't get to pick which power company you buy electricity from and you dang sure don't get to pick how they generate it.
    Let's look at your alternatives;
    Nuclear, clean? Ask the Russian's and Japanese about that.
    Hydro, absolutely clean but there's not enough big rivers to go around.
    Trash to energy plants are clean? You know the trash has to be burned, right? Do you live in a closet?
    Wind farms may or may not be clean. The low frequency sounds emitted are creating a different type of pollution.

Looks like we're back to crickets there skippy.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Off the top of my head:

Nuclear
    Hydro
    Trash to Energy plants
    Wind Farms

crickets, anyone?

Right...
    Nuke- Greenies hate nuke power. Want it shut down
    Hydro- 4% of the electric is hydro. There are like SEVEN real producing dams in the US, and none built since the 1970s.
    Trash to Energy- Do any of these actually exist?
    Wind Farms- IF you live in the right area, and IF the wind is blowing, and IF you live withing transmission distance, and IF the Liberals like the Kennedy's let it be built.... 3% of the nation's power comes from wind.

42% of the electric in the US is Coal powered. That means your iPod, iPhone and iPad are running on coal. When I see a Volt cruising down the highway, I see it with a smokestack coming out of the hood.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Nuclear is a good option, Japan had a problem with the tsunami, Russia...well they were never one to go overboard on redundancies or overbuilding.
    Actually there are now options to decide who your power generator is.
    With more efficient generators, and low-head generators, Hydro is still feasible but not a panacea, simply one more renewable resource.
    Trash to energy plants all have stack scrubbers, pretty sure they produce much less pollution than you might think, and trash is renewable.
    Pretty sure the jury is still out on Wind Farm low freq pollution. What...bearing rub? As for individual wind towers, while pricey, certainly an option in less urban areas.
    Yuppers, back indeed to crickets, sparky.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Right...
    Nuke- Greenies hate nuke power. Want it shut down
    Hydro- 4% of the electric is hydro. There are like SEVEN real producing dams in the US, and none built since the 1970s.
    Wind Farms- IF you live in the right area, and IF the wind is blowing, and IF you live withing transmission distance, and IF the Liberals like the Kennedy's let it be built.... 3% of the nation's power comes from wind.

42% of the electric in the US is Coal powered. That means your iPod, iPhone and iPad are running on coal. When I see a Volt cruising down the highway, I see it with a smokestack coming out of the hood.

So the prevailing opinion appears to be...continue buring oil? Great to see all the open minds (or mines, for pun's sake.)
    So the prevailing opinion appears to be...continue buring oil? Great to see all the open minds (or mines, for pun's sake.)

You are proving youself to be either low in reading comprehension or intentionally dense. We are talking about CURRENT power situations. Not whatever pie in the sky you think somehow Govt will force upon the people.

Know what will win the future of power generation? Whatever is the most profitable. And that is the way it should be.

(Before you start thinking you know something- you are arguing with someone that has a solar powered hunting shack, and drives a Prius in a carpool.)
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    You appear to have everything figured out. You must be a democrat.
    Nuclear is a good option, Japan had a problem with the tsunami, Russia...well they were never one to go overboard on redundancies or overbuilding.

You're quick to dismiss tragic issues. Tsunami's and other natural disasters are a way of life and can't be discounted. Nor can very large and careless countries.

Actually there are now options to decide who your power generator is.

Please give a few examples, or even one that involves more than the residents of one neighborhood.

With more efficient generators, and low-head generators, Hydro is still feasible but not a panacea, simply one more renewable resource.
    Trash to energy plants all have stack scrubbers, pretty sure they produce much less pollution than you might think, and trash is renewable.

Could you explain to us what will happen to the toxins that are removed by the stack scrubbers? Are they magically converted to rainbows and butterflys?

Pretty sure the jury is still out on Wind Farm low freq pollution. What...bearing rub? As for individual wind towers, while pricey, certainly an option in less urban areas.

The jury is not out at all. Do a little research and you'll learn that there are currently countless lawsuits relating to it. Obviously you've never been near a windfarm but the blades are quite large and they generate a low frequency vibration as they cut the air and the sound appears to make people sick. The comment about "bearing rub" tells a good bit about how much you really know about the subject you're giving advice about.

Yuppers, back indeed to crickets, sparky.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Trash to energy plants are clean? You know the trash has to be burned, right? Do you live in a closet?
    Wind farms may or may not be clean. The low frequency sounds emitted are creating a different type of pollution.

Looks like we're back to crickets there skippy.
    Also, scrubbers can't remove all contaminants during incineration (any mercury will get through).
    And don't forget that wind farms are tough on migrating birds. The low frequency noises can be rough on human bodies, causing vertigo, nausea, dizziness, etc.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I'm all for nuclear power. Shut down all the mercury producing coal plants, build nukes.

It's the one real "clean energy" plan.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Got one right down the road from my house. They are building the generator part now, but the gas part is working. They were flaring it for a while. They said there was about 20 years worth of methane there. Cool idea in my eyes.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Ah, another thing I forgot (and I can't believe I did...)

Hydroelectric has some other impacts, too. They can alter water flow regimens and thermal regimes downstream, which can lead to fewer fish species due to water issues, or they can also interrupt the migration of anadromous, catadromous, and potamodromous species.
    Overkill is underrated.