Home Main Category General Firearms

Quick, stupid question. Can my MN 91/30 be rebarreled?

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
Im not sure, but just looking at the thing, it seems that the barrel and action are one single machined piece? And yeah I know that rebarreling this would be ridiculous compared to other rifles out there, but I like different.

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Sure, you can do it but it will cost you 3 to 4 times the value of the gun, if not more.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    No, the barrel screws into the receiver like any other rifle. I don't know of anyone who makes pre-threaded barrels for the Moisin action, so it would have to be a full custom buildup from a barrel blank. That can get pretty spendy unless you're able to do the barrel installation yourself.
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Hey, maybe Redjacket can do it for you :jester:

:spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Hey, maybe Redjacket can do it for you :jester:
    :jester: I would have better luck welding a hollow tube onto the existing action...... lol
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    2 crashes ago, I had an idea of getting a Mosin and making it into a match rifle, just to see.

It was pointed out to me that not only is getting a good barrel an issue, but when the gunsmith seats the barrel he'll have to time in an extractor cut and THAT is a booger to do!
    I'm just here for snark.
    Hey, I wonder if they can find the safety on that one?
    Jerry
    The real reason I ask is that I believe after seeing my Uncles rifled titanium barrel, that perhaps he can make me a heavy barrel, thread it, chamber it and set the headspace. He too is a gun nut and has an incredible attention for detail. And if he could get more titanium..... that would be sweet.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    OK... Classic Arms is selling machine gun barrels re tooled to fit MN 91/30 receivers. It is definately a heavy barrel and it is $80.00 plus delivery for one.

Nagant-Heavy-bbl-2.jpg

Theyare also selling nagant receivers for $30.00 that will accept these barrels.

NAGANT-REC-3.jpg

They will sell the combo together for $100.00

So for $110 you can get a heavy barrel and receiver, take apart your old MN 91/30 bolt and trigger group and you have a heavy barrel assembly, stock required.

On the other hand.. why? I hate the MN trigger and the bolt needs to be turned down if you intend to scope it.

Heavy barrel and receiver $120 delivered.
    Head spacing and fitting by a competent gunsmith $100
    Decent trigger? $150
    Bolt with turned down handle? $100
    Drill and tap receiver for scope? $70
    Decent furniture? $150 finished and fitted? $300

So to make a heavy barrel super accurate 7.62x54 R it would cost $850 or so.

Now if my name was Jerry and I had the skills and inclination.....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Yes you can. The Finns re-barreled a lot of captured Russian guns from the Winter War to make M39's.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    The real reason I ask is that I believe after seeing my Uncles rifled titanium barrel, that perhaps he can make me a heavy barrel, thread it, chamber it and set the headspace. He too is a gun nut and has an incredible attention for detail. And if he could get more titanium..... that would be sweet.

Ok. . .but why do you want to drop a 426 Hemi into a Gremlin? There are better actions. In fact, almost ALL actions would be better actions for that sort of thing.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Ok. . .but why do you want to drop a 426 Hemi into a Gremlin? There are better actions. In fact, almost ALL actions would be better actions for that sort of thing.
    Easy answer here...... money. Fundage is always an issue. And as for the $850 MN...... Trigger already accomplished presently with some skillfull fabrication on my end..... bent bolt easily ready for order and weldable by yours truely..... factory stock can be worked to fit new barrel...... drilled and tapped reciever free by my Uncle..... headspacing free by my dads friend (a gunsmith.)
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    If you can get it done on the cheap, more power to ya. I'd be curious to see just how accurate you can make the thing with the heavy barrel mentioned earlier. I dare you to do it. I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!!!
    Calebib, thats just the encouragement I need to try this lol. I just wanna see if I can ice a turd and make it a cupcake (Thanks CPJ quote.) I just think it would be neat to make a MN into a match rifle. If I fail, then oh well at least I tried. Let me talk to my Uncle and my dads friend to see if they are willing to lend a hand in it. And thanks BigDan on the info to the heavy barrel. Makes it easier in the barreling department.
    Don't forget to add an axle and a set of wheels, maybe even a trailer hitch! That thing will be heavy enough to qualify as a crew-served weapon when you're done!
    :roll::roll::roll:
    Jerry
    If you want accuracy, you're probably going to need to forgo the milsurp ammo and reload for it
    Already have brother. And actually witht the help from all the guys on here before the system crash. I have the Lee reloading press, dies, Norma brass, Sierra Matchkings, etc. The last load (and first,) seemed to fire nicely. No signs of high pressure and they thumped my shoulder about the same as milsurp lol. Only thing was that I cant really test the accuracy without glass mounted, so that is a must.
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't forget to add an axle and a set of wheels, maybe even a trailer hitch! That thing will be heavy enough to qualify as a crew-served weapon when you're done!
    :roll::roll::roll:
    Jerry
    Now that Jerry is a perfect Sons Of Guns setup. lol. I would fit right in with the Red Jacket boys. lmao
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The way I see it as follows:

$100 for the heavy barrel / action, no scope, no turned down bolt handle, same trigger, same wood, nothing extra.
    Buy an existing dark bore MN cheap for extra parts, and call it good.

That was easy.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    A set of all terrain baby buggy tires on the bipod and a piece of rope nailed to the butt stock and you're ready to go...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Now that Jerry is a perfect Sons Of Guns setup. lol. I would fit right in with the Red Jacket boys. lmao

Only if the wheels fall off halfway through the first range session!
    :jester::jester::jester:
    Jerry
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Calebib, thats just the encouragement I need to try this lol. I just wanna see if I can ice a turd and make it a cupcake (Thanks CPJ quote.) I just think it would be neat to make a MN into a match rifle. If I fail, then oh well at least I tried. Let me talk to my Uncle and my dads friend to see if they are willing to lend a hand in it. And thanks BigDan on the info to the heavy barrel. Makes it easier in the barreling department.

Hey, if Redjacket can make a '1,000 yard AK for our boys in the sandbox' you can definitely do this. If you fail.....then we will know that they are at least better gunhackers than you are. :jester:
    :rotflmao:
    Good one, oh great one winged, leafy one :worthy:
    :spittingcoffee:
    :agree: Lmao... Should I send Red Jacket my resume :jester:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Maybe they can rebarrel your Cobra in .50AE!! :buff:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    My question is why you would want to rebarrel it? I doubt that barrel is shot out. But there's just too many other rifles out there to be butchering a 91/30, this coming from the butcher of the Yugo Mauser himself, LOL! Of course the 91/30 is common as chickens right now. But still It is a great rifle with a great history.
    The Yugo 24/47 was made after WWII and is not rare either. The main problem with altering a 91/30 is it doesn't sporterize well or easy. It's just the way it's designed. If you want something to play with like that, get a Yugo. You can have one for under $200 still I think. I paid $159 for my most expensive one and they can be sporterized easily. Also there's barrels everywhere that fit it. It's just a lot better choice to mess with. Also another option is to go on one of the gun auction sites and buy a Savage. Then you can make a really cool, accurate rifle in whatever caliber you want for much cheaper. I just bougth a Model 110 in 7 Rem. Mag. for $205 + $25 shipping on an auction on Gun Broker. :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    One contestant at an annual sniper competition in Finland competed with a 300 Win Mag Mosin.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I've rebarreled two. Turning the barrel shank to proper size is easy. Threading and fitting barrel to action is easy. Chambering and headspacing is easy. Making the extractor clearance cut is :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss: . It is both an angle and a radius; it must be polished smooth when finished or the extractor will drag, or be damaged. Attempting to make that extractor clearance cut with power tools would be unsatisfactory. Hello Mr. File; meet Mr. Barrel Shank. :tooth:

Also, the extractor must be removed to headspace the chamber. It is a tapered dovetail part. It does not respond to heavy handed methods of removal and reseating. It can be easily bent when not seated in it's dovetail because it is THIN. It is removed by driving it out the front of the bolt nose, and carefully reinserted and reseated.

You will need to make your own action wrench inserts; I know of none commercially available. Ditto for the barrel wrench; the barrel shank is a tapered affair and hard to get a good grip on for removal.

Have fun!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Personally, I would get a Finn Nagant. They shoot EXTREMELY well, especially with handloads.

But, I think it would be a cool project if it can be done on the cheap. I hope you move forward with it because I would love to see the results...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Ok. . .but why do you want to drop a 426 Hemi into a Gremlin? There are better actions.

To have something truly unique. Same reasons people would rebarrel one into .44 Magnum.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    To have something truly unique. Same reasons people would rebarrel one into .44 Magnum.

I do weird schizzle when I'm bored.:tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Yep Im already in the planning stages as of now. Still have to make sure that my Uncle and das friend will help me out with the things I cant do. So I also have to ask, are the threads the same on the heavy barrel as the stock barrel? Or does that have to be rethreaded?