Home Main Category Hunting

Off to Texas!!!!

Grizz1219Grizz1219 MemberPosts: 424 Member
I leave Wed. morning to go hunt Rio Grande turkeys in Texas with the NWTF... Never hunted Rio's before... It's the last of the four so I am VERY excited to get there and start hunting :applause: Anyone ever hunt them??? Any last minute tips or tacitcs???

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    Sorry, never hunted them

What part of Texas are you headed to?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    Good luck to you. Hunt them like any other turkey.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Like Zee said, they are just like any other turkey. Hope you have great time visiting a free state!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Sonora Texas is where I am going.... Thanks...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Did you win a hunt on a raffle or auction? Good luck!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    No... I was invited... I am the Ma State chapter president, my state has been doing VERY well for the NWTF, in fact, my local chapter was the #1 chapter for states with members under 2000 last year... I'm thinking it was a "Thank you" from them.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »

Used to drive through there a lot on my way to school. Buddy of mine shot an elk out there this past winter.

'Bout all I know of that part of the world is the Caverns. Pretty cool place.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,939 Senior Member

When I was 15 or 16, which was in the mid 60s, my dad and I had the opportunity to hunt on a deer lease near Sonora. Turkeys were legal game, and my dad took a big gobbler. At that time, there were a lot of turkeys on the property we hunted. I remember one spot right along the road to the lease where there must have been 200-300 of them congregated. I had never seen anything like it, and haven't seen anything like it since.

I don't know if it's still like that, but there sure used to be a lot of them in the area. It was a pretty good place for deer as well.

Good luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I have 3 days to hunt.. I come home Sat.... Hoping to just take 1 long beard even though I'm given two tags... Will be cool to hunt the new terrain, different bird... etc...
    The hunt was great!!! Did not get any long beards to come in... VERY tough in that aspect... Passed on 6 Jakes... but I'll be back... Out of 6 from the NWTF, only 1 killed a long beard.. so it was a tough few days....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I leave Wed. morning to go hunt Rio Grande turkeys in Texas with the NWTF... Never hunted Rio's before... It's the last of the four so I am VERY excited to get there and start hunting :applause: Anyone ever hunt them??? Any last minute tips or tacitcs???

Grizz, I've shot a truck load of em. Where I have killed them they were incidental or rather targets of opportunity. We always killed them during deer season sitting in a deer blind. They readily come to a feeder and will parade right in front for a shot. Here like I say it's no big deal. Now in the Spring maybe it's more of a challenge. I don't know, I've never hunted them in the Spring. I know that they are much more waery than deer or hogs and actually can see a human form, unlike a deer which relies more on movement. I was sitting very still in a deer blind once and two hens walked close to it and saw me through a crack. They immediately took flight and spooked all of them that were inside the feeder fence. When they do this, they remind you of a flock of quail fluttering off. Scared hell out of me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.