Home Main Category Hunting

Nilgai hunting?

Johnny rebJohnny reb MemberPosts: 601 Senior Member
Anyone have any experience hunting Nilgai in Texas. I may have an opportunity too go later this year don't know much about them other than there supposed too be rather spooky and there rather strange looking animals.

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Zee might have some advice IIRC....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    Seen them. Never hunted them. Supposed to be rather stout, but then, so are Oryx (not), and hogs are overly dangerous (not).

Either way, I would think anything in '06 class and above with a sturdy bullet would work. Your .375 Ruger would fit the bill and then some.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience hunting Nilgai in Texas. I may have an opportunity too go later this year don't know much about them other than there supposed too be rather spooky and there rather strange looking animals.

I read an article by Boddington, who said they are very hard to kill (with one shot). And yes Zee, that .375 ruger or a .375 H&H would indeed fill the bill.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Use the Ruger! Several of the ranches I looked into require 300 mags and up, pretty stout animals supposedly.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Yup... as stated above.. heard the same thing... Tough animals...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I've seen them from the hiway going through the King Ranch, but like Zee, never hunted them. But you don't hear many people bragging on their .243s or 25-06s when talking about hunting them. My buddy Grover used a .270 with a 150 grain bullet to take one years ago. But he said that if he had it to do over again he'd use something bigger. They're about like Elk in size but I've heard they're harder to kill. A 30-06 should do it with well placed shots, but why chance it? Use one of the 30 magnums with a 200 grain bullet or a .338 something. Also, on the King Ranch and some of the other ranches down here the shots can be very long. So a Magnum is a wise move.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 601 Senior Member
    Thanks for the information if I'm able too get everything worked out too do this hunt this year I believe I'll take my 375 and my 300 rcm because I'm going too try and work in aoudad too hopefully. Ill use the 375 for Nilgai and carry the 300 for aoudad.
    Looks like best time too hunt is jan thru April so were shooting for mid February. Will hopefully post pics sometime next February the ranch were hunting is not high fence so these are 100% free range looking forward too it
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Guess I need more coffee. My Internet dyslexia kicked in when I read the title; at first I thought it said "Nigel hunting" and you were peeved at one of our UK friends...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    Looks like best time too hunt is jan thru April so were shooting for mid February. Will hopefully post pics sometime next February the ranch were hunting is not high fence so these are 100% free range looking forward too it

My best friend used to guide Nilgai hunts on a couple of big game ranches in S. Texas. I'll ask him for input and post it here.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    Howdy, sent to your post by bullsi. It sounds like you are already on the right track for your caliber selections. I guided for 4 years at some huge ranches with just about anything you could shoot in Texas. Hunts for Nilgai weren't really that common, so congrats on the chance to get one. I've heard they are a terror over in East Texas. Most of the hunters I had took them with at least a 30 cal, which is recommended. One memorable hunt was one of my regular hunters who took one with a 7mm-08 pistol. It dropped right on the spot, so if anyone is reading this and thinks they need a big mag to do it, just get a good, solid bullet with reasonable power and good shot placement and you'll be fine. Now, if it were me and this were my one chance, I'd do it with a heavy hitting round just to boost my odds.

Also, talk to your guide about shot placement. You will notice if you look at pictures that they are built a little odd. A little higher in the front and VERY deep chested. This can throw people off when choosing a place for the shot. Pick a spot down from center about 6 inches and 3 inches forward from the crease. Also, practice cycling your action after the shot. If you can get an insurance round into it before it gets out of sight, DO IT. Just like you practice at home with your handgun doing dry fire, get a snap cap and practice making the first shot clean, then getting on that reload. This will also serve you well in any of your hunts.

They are a very cool animal. The cows are a brown color and the bulls (kind of like blackbuck) will turn a blue-black color as they mature, with the really mature ones having almost no brown, to no brown at all. The bulls have a weird, but cool beard that feels just like a Turkey beard. The horns are very out of proportion for their massive size. Pretty much anything over 8 inches is considered good. 9 plus is really good. Horn mass varies as well, the best carry their mass out to the end.

Aoudad and Nilgai. Wow, those are two tough hunts. Both tough to bring down sometimes and tough to get on a good one. Good luck and I think your choice of caliber will be great for your hunts.
    Thanks for the input I'm looking forward too this hunt. They say that Nilgai is great eating also. So I should be able too get quite a bit of meat off one.
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    You're welcome. It is a large animal, so be prepared to store a lot of meat. It is an antelope and is very tasty. I think it's pretty close to Eland. You have to remember that if you're shooting an older bull, the meat just isn't going to be as tender as a cow or younger animal. If you're having it processed somewhere else, see if you can at least snag the backstraps and tenderloins. Wash and wrap them or bag them in a big ziploc and let them rest in the refrigerator for 4 to 7 days before cutting and freezing. Or, if you just can't take it, grilling a nice Nilgai tenderloin that never makes it into the freezer. I can't stress enough how important it is to let the meat chill for a few days before processing and freezing. It will mellow the meat, but more importantly will help keep it from being tough. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the Info on the meat. I'd like too have great tasting meat but on this one I' m wanting bigger mature bull over a younger bull. I should be able too let the meat hang for a couple weeks before its processesed
    JR what bullet are you planning to use in the 375? Don't remember if you're a reloader or factory shooter
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Ill probally use some north forks. Do you have a bullet recommendation?
    Ill probally use some north forks. Do you have a bullet recommendation?

You wanna spend that kind of cash, knock yourself out. I don't think they are needed.

Accubond
    InterLock
    DGX
    etc.

All for about half the price give or take of a Northfork.
    I'd be confident with NF's. They aren't cheap but they've built a good reputation on hard to bring down critters. Personally though, I'd probably be looking at the 260gr Accubond or the 250gr TTSX if the gun shoots em. With either of those bullets you'd be good for some distance as well, could use the 375 for the Auodad just fine
    I had some north forks given too me too try there free so why not use them if they work. Would I buy them specifically for this hunt no there other hunts I would spend the money on though
    I had some north forks given too me too try there free so why not use them if they work. Would I buy them specifically for this hunt no there other hunts I would spend the money on though

In that case, tear it up with those bad boys!
    heck yea if they're free! shoot them with confidence
    One thing about it, I don't think you can overgun one. If you have something in the .375-.400 or even .458 caliber size range, I think you'll do just fine. I have that 9.3 mm (3.66 caliber) coming real soon. I just called my gun smith again and he has the barrel screwed in but is still waiting on the Reamer. That will throw 275-285 grain bullets at a bit over 2500 FPS so I think it would be perfect for Nilgai out to 300 or so yards.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake do you have any experience with them? I don't know jack about them except they are definitely a odd looking animal, and they are supposed too be fairly tough from what information I've found. When it gets closer I'll make a final decision on what rifle too bring. I was thinking since I may add aoudad in than I may just take o e rifle and may take my 8mm rem mag. Will post pics hopefully early next year if I'm successful
    I've kills Aoudad with a .308 Winchester beyond 400 yards. Proper bullet and proper placement are more important than cartridge, necessarily.

That goes for Nilgai as well I'd assume. You don't need a .458 WM to kill one. Not unless you just want to use it because you can.
    The one man with any Nilgai experience, posted that most hunters take them with a .30 cal. So, there ya go.

Use what you'd like. But, it sounds like you have it covered.
    It's just there's so many caliber choices I would like too use. You can understand that I'll stay with the 375
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    I remember being with Ross Seyfried and some other writers on a hunt at a Texas ranch about 20 years ago. Most of us were hunting whitetail but he was after nilgai. He used a .416 Remington to take one. I don't remember the distance but it was a one-shot kill.
    I would not blink an eye if someone invited me nilgai hunting and I picked up either my 7 mm Mag or 300 WBY. I'd use my 7Mag with a 160 grain Nosler partitician or the Combined Technology equivelant. The .300 WBY would be stoked with 180 grain Partitions or if I had time to work me up a quick load, a 200 grain something, something tough.
    Snake do you have any experience with them? I don't know jack about them except they are definitely a odd looking animal, and they are supposed too be fairly tough from what information I've found. When it gets closer I'll make a final decision on what rifle too bring. I was thinking since I may add aoudad in than I may just take o e rifle and may take my 8mm rem mag. Will post pics hopefully early next year if I'm successful

Hey Johnny Reb, I have LOTs of experience with them. I see them from the car almost everytime we drive through the King Ranch going down Hiway 77 to South Padre-Port Isabel to see my son and family. However, I haven't had the pleasure of putting one in my scope yet, LOL! But like I've written here, I wouldn't blink an eye if you got a magnum rifle handy with some well built bullets for that sort of animal. I think you'll do fine. Just go enjoy it.

I forgot you have an 8mm Mag. Heck, I have a sporter 8mm Mauser that I'd almost use, especially with one of the bigger bullets. But stoke that 8 Mag up with 190-220 grain bullets honkin on above or at 3000 FPS and I would almost guaranty, especially with good shot placement, you'll kill a Nilgai.