Home Main Category General Firearms

So what’s the deal with Marlin?

temmitemmi MemberPosts: 230 Member
So what’s the deal with Marlin?

I have heard everything from “They are stopping lever action production” to They are only making 1 type of lever gun for Walmart”.

What is the truth? I have heard they have had some wuality issues, have they been worked out?

Is Marlin Dead?

Thanks

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    The ones I've seen lately are awful. I heard they're suspending operations temporarily, don't know if this is true or not, but it's widely reported.

I think someone here recently bought a Guide Gun and found the barrel off-set or something. The new ones I've seen are universally sloppy with bad fitting wood and other problems that are obvious at a glance.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Man that sucks to say the least, it breaks my heart, plain an simple :uhm:
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    i heard production issues. no toys until the problems are fixed or fired.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I'm guessing Marlin's recent move has thrown a wrench in the bull gear, quality wise. Still no excuse for QA/QC to let things like that get out the door.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    On the bright side, good on them for halting things and fixing the problem instead of putting out an inferior product.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    On the bright side, good on them for halting things and fixing the problem instead of putting out an inferior product.

This.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member

Very well stated Shotgunshooter, I could not agree more :beer:
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    ilove22s wrote: »
    i heard production issues. no toys until the problems are fixed or fired.

Just visited thier website and no mention of shutting down. I must agree that the move probably caused some issues that are being corrected
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    I agree it is best to halt production until they can fix their problems.

It takes years to build a good reputation, only months to destroy one.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Rumor mill is ALL Marlin production is being halted by the parent company ... Remington.

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED only RUMORED so take it and 99 cents and you can buy a cup of coffee ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Yet, my closest Cabelas continues to have limited runs (.45 Colt 1894) and the harder to find calibers (.35 Remington) in stock every time I stop in. I picked up one of the limited run .45 Colts last fall and it has fantastic wood and shoots great too. I saw a really nice .35 a couple of weeks ago that really tempted me too. Guess I better go ahead and pick one up on my next stop...

To quote myself, lol, I said Marlin prices would go through the roof after Winchester went under...well it's getting that way a few dollars at a time.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :vomit: :uhm: Thats too bad I am a big fan of the Marlins...........
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    FWIW, I dropped by Dicks Sporting Goods the other day and while I was in there I examined a new Marlin 1894 in .44 mag (dang, I want one... just don't wanna spend another $550 right now), and it looked as good as any other Marlin I've ever seen. Definitely no production issues with fit and finish on that one. :up:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Marlin is not dead - they are simply slowing down lever guns. Pistol caliber lever guns will be scarce from them until next year at the earliest. The Marlin 39 has not been made (or very few anyway) for a long while.

I think the problem lies in 1) most folks only want to pay 1965 prices for lever guns and 2) sales of their crappy bolt actions are up so they produce more of those and fewer of the lever guns. Freedom Group's fingers in the mix probably doesn't help much either.

ETA: I don't know what the big deal is though - used Winchesters will always be available :wink:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    I had a chance to deal wirh Remingtons customer service after they took over NEF. It was 50/50...... I needed a .410 sized forearm for my .22hornet barrel, and they sent me four different forearms. All four were for heavy barrels.......... I gave up.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Does this mean Winchester wins the argument?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    One of the big name writers reported SEEING a fax a couple weeks ago that came from Big Green to a major distributor warning that all lever action production would be on hold for the remainder of the calender year while issues are sorted. Having seen their "under one roof" multiple brand manufacturing arrangement, and knowing that until a year ago, none of the people at Big Green had ever produced a levergun, (nobody from CT came to NY in the move of Marlin), they got some gear grinding going on and decided they could not fix the issues while making production numbers. A prudent move is to go back to "proto" mode to get em sorted.
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member Posts: 149 Member
    Via a distributor, told that ALL production on the Marlin lever action rifles had been halted with one exception (forget which model continues) so that issues with production and namely quality control can be addressed and remedied. Been nothing but QC issues with their lever action line since they moved production from the CT facility. Progress in the name of consolidation to save a few bucks...makes sense and a wise business decision IF IT WORKS. Not so smart when you cut corners.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    The few new ones that I've worked on in the past few years were pretty rough. I had a new 29 taken apart side by side with one from the 50s and the difference in quality was remarkable. The new one looks like there was no effort made to remove a single burr and the polishing was very poor. The steel in the hammer was very soft too.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    Maybe we should call these latter-day Marlins: "Last Ditch Marlins."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.