Chicken updates...how are yours doing?

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,301 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Just hackin on ya Big D. :tooth:
    They dont need heat, they are out of the wind in the coop. But, I will probably put a light in there when it gets real cold. Cause they aint chickens. They are family members that poop out breakfast. Just ask my girls.

Ill take some pics of the water thing tomorrow if I remember it. But its just a 4 inch piece of PVC pipe about 2 feet long, with an end cap glued on the bottom. On that bottom cap are two watering nipples. On the top I put a cap on to keep the bugs and critters out. I cant really put that on a heater. And thats the ONLY kind of waterererer I will have. Its impossible for them to crap in it. Which means I dont have to clean the water bowl out ever again.

Heat tape...like you use on exposed water lines...just a thought...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    How are you going to keep them warm in the winter?

D

Roasting pan and an oven..........dont forget the stuffing!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,891 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Heat tape...like you use on exposed water lines...just a thought...
    :win:

Winner winner chick-en, uhhh, oh hell no! Steak dinner!

I think that will work amigo. I probably better insulate it though.
    I owe you a beer.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Hey cpj, if you are going to put a light in there to keep them warm, what about a low wattage bulb in the top of the water 'tower' to stop the water from freezing.....even a 3-5 watt tail light bulb would probably do it.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,891 Senior Member
    The light in the top might work too. I wondered if an aquarium pump would make enough bubbles to keep it from freezing?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,301 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Roasting pan and an oven..........dont forget the stuffing!!!

Oh Dude...that would be like feeding the kids their puppy!...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    "What color eggs to Naked Necks lay?"

IIRC light brown......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    My mom is nuts about chickens. We had lots of them growing up (along with many other animals). She still has some. All of them have names and she goes out and talks to them every day. Sits in their pen. Lets them run in the yard. A regular chicken whisperer. :tooth:

She brings me fresh eggs all the time. My daughter loves hanging out with the chickens as well. Looks like she is following in grandma's footsteps.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    What do you call a chicken that will not lay its eggs in the provided nest ?

Soup.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
2»