interesting LE statistics

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,328 Senior Member
January through August, 2011
As listed in an FBI statistics release......

51 LE officers have been killed due to criminal actions. 39 were killed during the same period last year. Some of the circumstances – 11 attempting other arrests, 9 answering disturbance calls (5 domestic related), 8 ambushed, 7 investigating suspicious persons or circumstances, 6 in traffic pursuits/stops, 4 in tactical situations. 21 of these were in the south, 16 Midwest, 7 west, 5 northeast, 2 in US Puerto Rico. Firearms were used in 45 of the 51 killings.

Thirty officers have been accidentally killed. During the same time last year, 52 were accidentally killed. 18 killed in auto accidents, 3 in motorcycle accidents, 3 struck by vehicles, 1 drowned, 1 accidentally shot, 1 detonating department explosive device, 1 killed when attacked by a cow, 1 struck by lightning, 1 killed in training. 18 deaths in the south, 7 in the west, 3 in the Midwest, 2 in the northeast.

Stay safe out there and god bless the fallen officers.

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    Anyone care to ponder why the south has a much higher rate of LE deaths by criminal action and accident?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    I do not have written details; I have noticed that the local news has had an increase of reports for LEO deaths of all causes.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Anyone care to ponder why the south has a much higher rate of LE deaths by criminal action and accident?
    Without a listing of what the officers were doing and in what localities this occurred, it's just speculation.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member

One theory is that is is hotter for longer. Let's face it - no one wants to dress in layers to commit crime.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I work in a jail with 2500 "guests." My impression is the population in jail is getting younger and younger by percentage. Most of the older inmates still show some respect for officers. The younger ones just don't care who you are....they have the attitude. I can't help but think that it is much worse on the streets.
    Without a listing of what the officers were doing and in what localities this occurred, it's just speculation.

That's absolutely true. But speculation can be fun sometimes.
    Hondo wrote: »
    I work in a jail with 2500 "guests."

WOW. Our jail is overcrowded with around 900!

I know what you mean about the younger kids coming up. They do seem to be more violent and disrespectful in general.
    Lerchess wrote: »
    One theory is that is is hotter for longer. Let's face it - no one wants to dress in layers to commit crime.

That seems to make some sense, except that it stays hotter in the west (southwest) longer as well and the numbers seem pretty lopsided still..........again, speculation and conversation.....................
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    I may get blasted for this one, but might have something to do with a higher percentage of firearms in the South and Midwest than say the West and Northeast?

Other options:
    A larger number of meth labs?
    Large number of smaller police forces where officers not as well trained?
    Maybe just higher population within whatever is defined as "the South?"

As said above, all just speculation without more data
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    1 killed when attacked by a cow

Of all the ways to die... That has to be one of the unluckiest ways to go right there.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Of all the ways to die... That has to be one of the unluckiest ways to go right there.
    That's what I was was thinking....what a way for people to remember you.............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Killed by a cow ? that must have been some kind of freak accident.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    anyone else thinking what I was thinking?

http://youtu.be/MLN4KWTw6Hs?t=3m1s
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Must be, I have been around cows plenty since I was but a nipper, and the only time I got a bit worried was trying to milk a cow and was doing a rather rum job of it, and she turned to face Me and : "MOOOOOO!!!!" and switched Me with her tail.... otherwise I have always liked cows and even bulls if you show little fear are not going to charge you (very much) most bulls have poor credit anyway..... Ha Ha !! :roll2:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    The stats have always been higher in the South. More guns, more ethnic stats, etc. California has way more meth labs than the South. There is a firearms tradition in the South, and this is the bad side of it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    More guns than the Bronx ? Harlem ? Brooklyn South ? Midtown on New-years or the fourth of July ???
    Probably more criminals in NYC, they just are not stupid enough to shoot LEO's, maybe the IQ is a bit higher with those cretins.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    Yep. More guns in 13 states of the South than in the Bronx, Harlem, and California together and Philly, Boston, etc. A LOT more. It's easier to own and carry a gun in the South.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Tell that to some of the felons I had to tangle with, in their own words, they could get a gun in "a New York Minute" pardon the pun.
    Large number of smaller police forces where officers not as well trained?

I do believe this has a lot to do with it. Obviously, training can only take you so far, but lack of training won't even get you there.
    I could never understand that at all, when a small Police force can send one member at a time to a larger City with a good academy for intensive training, at one time the FBI offered to train Police Officers and bring them up to speed on modern practices.
    I know Maasad Ayoob does lots of remedial training.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    WOW. Our jail is overcrowded with around 900!

I know what you mean about the younger kids coming up. They do seem to be more violent and disrespectful in general.

I totally agree. The younger generation has been raised (if you can call it that) by their peers... they're like feral animals, and have NO respect for ANYBODY. Actually, Hondo understated the population at our jail... it was just over 3200 last time I bothered to run a count. I'll repost if it's changed much after work tonight.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Gene L wrote: »
    The stats have always been higher in the South. More guns, more ethnic stats, etc. California has way more meth labs than the South. There is a firearms tradition in the South, and this is the bad side of it.

I'd have to say that I think you're mistaken about the # of meth labs in Kalifornia than the South. They're EVERYWHERE down here. I'd bet the numbers are very similar in either area where the population density is similar.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I do believe this has a lot to do with it. Obviously, training can only take you so far, but lack of training won't even get you there.

Those days of untrained police are long gone. This is another myth. Everybody has to go through the same courses required by the CJSTC (Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission). If anything, it's *my* impression that today's new recruits are better trained than anybody was even just 10-15 yrs ago. Unfortunately, all too often, you see officers who have become complacent getting involved in violent encounters with tragic results. Speaking only for the few officer deaths that have occurred recently here in FL, every one that I am familiar with was a case of failure to follow policy and/or procedure.

Luis
    You can state that as an absolute fact throughout the South or just for Florida? It was not that long ago, I was doing some checking and all that was required was a HS diploma.

I'm not trying to rag on the South here, but the standards are lower on average for hiring.
    You can state that as an absolute fact throughout the South or just for Florida? It was not that long ago, I was doing some checking and all that was required was a HS diploma.

I'm not trying to rag on the South here, but the standards are lower on average for hiring.

Valid point.. I'm just talking about Florida... dunno what the requirements are in the other southern states. Speaking for Florida, *most* counties require more than just a HS diploma for LEO anymore.

Luis
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    I remember reading the FBI book, Crime in the United States, several years ago. I was intrigued by the apparently higher violent crime rates in larger southern cities than in the north. One factor seemed to be the weather. The crime rate during the frozen winter months dropped dramatically in the north, while it was relatively constant in the south, where the winters are more moderate. Also, the awful hot and humid summer months in the south create violent tendencies (remember the short story "August Heat"?

Younger average criminals. Get set to be politically offended. The birth rate over the last 40 years has been increasingly skewed toward the lower income, mostly minoroty, population. The intelligent and wealthy in America have one or two children--or none in many cases--while the poor reproduce at very high rates, and of course, when new generations are less than 20 years apart, the effect increases with each new generation. For the math of it, look here: http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/populati.html. The practical side says more and more poor, uneducated, and lower intelligence people are producing more of their same kind, so the effect is that most of the new generation is essentially unemployable, born of public support and resenting every minute of it.

From that comes crime and more crime. Government programs have made matters worse, as the more that is given to the poor, the more convinced they are that they are entitled to more still. When they don't get it, they hate the people who have given them what they have. That's us taxpayers--the new minority. What is happening today will be worse before it gets better. All the more reason to keep your shooting skills honed and your tactical skills honed even more. Also support your local police.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
    Excellent post Bowserb, and all true and contributory to today's crime problems IMO.

Luis
    I could be wrong about this, but I feel, and without any evidence to back it up other than a hunch, that criminals up north are a bit "more careful" in doing their biddness and in so keep things quiet to avoid "Imperial Entanglements" ie shootouts with LE in order to avoid bring down excessive heat on their drug and other illegal operations.

Example: Drug dealer drives a discreet non showy vehicle, has a license and insurance, keeps out of trouble so as to avoid getting attention on his illegal enterprises.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    All I have to say is I'm happy I live in the Northeast!
    It is of interest to note how statistics can be manipulated to suit a hypothesis, such as more guns or a gun tradition or the ease with which one can carry or posses a gun as being a factor in crime.
    We know this is just not true.
    Criminals can get guns, the only factor is money, you have cash you can get a firearm with ease and quickly anywhere, the law abiding are the only ones that jump through hoops and paperwork.

No matter where you go in the world, if you have money, you can buy a gun, even in places where the law restricts firearms severely.