interesting LE statistics

2»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I could never understand that at all, when a small Police force can send one member at a time to a larger City with a good academy for intensive training, at one time the FBI offered to train Police Officers and bring them up to speed on modern practices.
    I know Maasad Ayoob does lots of remedial training.

Most states have state academies, with larger cities providing their own. The academy has to be state certified, and you can't tote a gun until you're certified. I think the training time is 16 or 17 weeks in GA.

It ain't training that's getting cops killed, it's a lot to do with cultural factors. And the South has always had a weapons culture, where MANY people tote, legally and illegally. Carrying a pistol doesn't mean you're going to use it to assasinate a PO, but it could be a factor for the previoulsy non-criminal types, whatever that statistic might be.

We always treat EVERYONE as a possible gun carrier. Keeps us on our toes, but unfortunately, some shootings are simply assasinations, and it's hard to defend against that.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    When I used to pull someone over, if I was alone, it was not hard to call another unit, I doubt the killings are more than that, vehicle stops gone wrong for the most part.

There was one here in Oregon, they pulled a woman over and she shot and killed the patrolman.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,099 Senior Member
    I may get blasted for this one, but might have something to do with a higher percentage of firearms in the South and Midwest than say the West and Northeast?

Other options:
    A larger number of meth labs?
    Large number of smaller police forces where officers not as well trained?
    Maybe just higher population within whatever is defined as "the South?"

As said above, all just speculation without more data

Florida always seems to have a tragically greater number of wounded/killed officers in the southeast, compared to other southeastern states. Many contributing factors, I'm sure: like population density. BUT, one factor is likely attributed to drug activity which is THE source for street level violence, bar none.

Florida has loose prescription drug laws with regards to their control at the doctor level compared to other states. Opiate-based prescription medication is being abused at an alarming rate and we are starting to see major violence associated with these RX drugs now that the street level cocaine dealers are starting to dabble in the sale of RX drugs as well as cocaine. Some have confessed to me that RX drug sales are becoming more lucrative for them. In my area, the demographic for cocaine use (in crack cocaine form) is about 70% blacks to 30% whites. RX drug sales allow drug dealers to tap in to a market they previously did not have. Now, drug dealers can sling RX pills on the same corner and sell pills to the demographic ratio for pills in this area that is >90% whites and <10% blacks. They are tapping in to a huge market surrounded by violence and gunplay that is sure to affect LEO death statistics.

Recently, on a traffic stop, we arrested an individual in possession of 50 grams of 30mg oxycodone pills, but 20 grams of crack cocaine (not long ago those weights would have been reversed). That is about 200 pills. You don't get that in one prescription; not by far. It has to be doctor shopped and muled to the dealers. Any one of the fingers of those networks can be a fatal encounter for a LEO and it is a drug network that is expanding to far larger than it was even a year ago and expanding rapidly still.

Just my $.02 on one possible aspect.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Hi-jacking of trucks carrying pharmaceuticals is on the rise too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    That pretty much covers what my opion is. Drug related violence in the south, wether it be prescription or otherwise. Meth labs, drug smuggling from other countries, control of drug sales.
    At one time in the Dominican Republic the DNI task force would attempt to stop trucks carrying rice, at random, the best place would be at a rise at the foot of a hill, to take advantage of how it would slow down those trucks, some drivers (with a load of dope) were stupid enough to try and run the check point, no one wanted to get caught with a load of illegal sacks of dope mixed in with the legal sacks of rice.
    Fortunately there were better ROE in those circumstances when they refused to stop.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,099 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    That pretty much covers what my opion is. Drug related violence in the south, wether it be prescription or otherwise. Meth labs, drug smuggling from other countries, control of drug sales.

Crystalized Methamphetamine is not a huge problem in Florida yet, not south of the Lake City latitude yet, anyhow. We've made a couple meth arrests and our Narc guys have busted one lab, but only one so far. It appears that what is here is being brought in rather than cooked here at the moment.

The northwest has a greater meth problem per 1000 people than the rest of the country right now, and Kentucky and its neighboring states are catching up. The prevalence of cocaine, marijuana and pills here in Florida has kept meth out for now, but meth is a demon we'll face soon enough.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Less hassle to make Meth in Mexico where it is far easier to obtain chemicals and produce, then they transport it.
  • irondukeironduke Member Posts: 143 Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Killed by a cow ? that must have been some kind of freak accident.

This actually happened in my neck of the woods. Apparently a cow had wandered onto the road and had been hit by a car. The deputy arrived on the scene assuming the cow was dead. He was assessing the situation when the cow got up and charged him. While it would be rare to be killed by a cow under normal circumstances, a mortally wounded animal is not to be trifled with.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    Wow. I was wondering if anyone might remember the incident and mention something. Thanks for informing. I had a feeling it had something to do with a road hazzard type incident.
  • swetilyswetily Banned Posts: 35 Member
    might have a larger % of illegal aliens in the South, too.
    have you ever TRIED just buying a gun, in, say, England? :-) In a great many parts of the world, getting your hands on a gun (and enough ammo to make that gun worth having, ) is very, very difficult, dangerous and expensive. While you may be able to just get some in the US, in many areas, it can take weeks of searching, and big money being tossed around, to get something that is really nice, especially a pistol.
    It all depends what you are talking about, I am sure that if I was in London, I could purchase an illegal Makarov and a box of ammo for around $ 500 US in less than a day.
    try it, is all I can say. You probably couldn't do it that quickly in the US, if you specifially had to have a Mak, in a city where you were a stranger. How would you know who to ask even? There IS a way, but I don't reveal it on public forums.
    It is common knowledge, go to any major city on planet earth, find a seedy bar and have a few drinks, talk to some riff raff and buy them a few drinks to loosen their tongue, and soon enough you can find someone selling anything you may want.
    try it. :-) What works FAR better is call a cab. He WILL know where to find the "middleman",and SOME of the "middlemen" will know where to find the MAIN guys, but even they don't always have guns that they are willing to sell. I was able to get instant recognition as not being a cop, or a snitch, you see. Not telling you how I did that, either. :-)
    "Not telling you how I did that, either. :-)"

Please don't tell.
2»