Shopping for a low impact .308 Win rifle - Suggestions?

13»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    handi-rifle. Cheap, not upgrade-able, you won't be tempted to screw with it and leave it a beater. Other then that Vanguard S1, should be able to find them new for 350. Ruger American would work too. yes, we know you didn't like the flimsy stock, but you are ASKING for a beater rifle. It doesn't need to be work/bench/competition ready if you're just wanting to blast up ammo. Relax a bit and buy stuff you'd normally not, its just for getting rid of ammo after all.

The Ruger American is out. I'll take a look at the Vanguard, though. I've had good luck with them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    You just need a rifle that's factory equipped with ABS..........Anything But Savage.....a used Ruger...Weatherby Vanguard/S&W 1500/Mossberg 1500.........Ken

Now that, was funny.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Just go buy any of them, Zed. All .308 Win chambered rifles are low impact.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Just go buy any of them, Zed. All .308 Win chambered rifles are low impact.

Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I just checked the Weatherby site, when did Vanguards become so expensive?! 8 out of 13 models are suggested over $800 and 4 of those 8 are over $1,000!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap!!! Has Weatherby gone stupid or something?
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I just checked the Weatherby site, when did Vanguards become so expensive?! 8 out of 13 models are suggested over $800 and 4 of those 8 are over $1,000!!!!!!!!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_136/products_id/73936/Weatherby+VANGUARD+S2+308WIN
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Sorry...that's 20 bucks over the limit....but best I could do on short notice....
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

They don't have the S1 on the site anymore, you can still pick them up online or at most retailers. What you are looking at, is the S2. It comes with the B&C alum. block stock and an adjustable trigger. Plus, that is MSRP, you know that isn't real world price. I think we are selling S2's at 6.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I'm sure you could probably find a good price on a Howa 1500 barreled action in 308 as well and put on a stock of choice
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    They don't have the S1 on the site anymore, you can still pick them up online or at most retailers. What you are looking at, is the S2. It comes with the B&C alum. block stock and an adjustable trigger. Plus, that is MSRP, you know that isn't real world price. I think we are selling S2's at 6.

I understand all that. I'm just shocked that Weatherby's "entry" level rifle is now worth $1,300. That's MkV territory!!!
    I understand all that. I'm just shocked that Weatherby's "entry" level rifle is now worth $1,300. That's MkV territory!!!

Eh? Oh....you must be looking at the Vanguard Back Country. Yea I too agree, that is just silly. Their version of a "cheap" ultra light and its just a few hundred real world bucks cheaper then a MkV Ultra Light....that is actually ultra light. I think its the same deal as Savage in the last 8-10 years....cheap rifle gets a solid reputation for being a great shooter on the cheap, and then the manufacturers jack up the price, no longer making it a "deal". Even the new S2 is really nice, but its not as nice as it costs.

1200 for the "Range Certified" is outrageous, too. That used to be the SUB-MOA model which was like 700$ or so.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,451 Senior Member
    If I had the smithing services you have available, I'd get on Gunbroker and get something older...... you know you're tinker with it...

pix807507203.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    You know what I'm going to say.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    You know what I'm going to say.
    That CPJ is right? In this situation, I tend to agree. Actually for a beater .308, a used older model Savage can be had for less than $200 if you look around. That might be what I end up doing.
13»