Cold bore shot..........

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,735 Senior Member
With everything thats happening between now and when I get back from the SE I needed to confirm that the 7mm08 was 'on target' as I am due to go hunting when I get back.

I had previously worked up a load using Varget and Sierra 120gr psp's. Decided that what I needed to do was not shoot groups, but shoot 1 shot out of a cold bore.

I had previously zero'ed this load to be 2" high at 100yds so that it was roughly PB range out to 200.

Here is the target. The green dot is the point of aim ( at the bottom of the black) for the first shot from a cold bore. Hole in the '9' ring is the first shot.Wind was swirling from the left front at about 45deg.

After shooting the first shot, I waited about 3 mins with the bolt open, then fired two shots, one after another using the yellow dot as my aim point. The 2 shots above the black and slightly to the right are approx 1/2 " apart.

9b5f78a1-6e9a-4249-88aa-2ca6fe4815a4_zps0e625c64.jpg

I think it will do the job if I do my part.

Rifle is the T3 lite.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,695 Senior Member
    So, do you aim 2" low on your sub-100 yard neck shots, or just put the crosshairs on your aim point?

I've never sighted in 1" or 2" high @100 yards like most seasoned hunters do, preferring to be dead on at my benchmark distance and using hold-over for longer ones. I grew up shooting .22's at running jack rabbits with a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto that would typically be sighted dead on at 25 yards. I would elevate and shoot way out past a hundred yards, compensating by the dust kicked up by the 'short' shots (this was usually in the plowed fields of west Texas, after the headed feed crops were harvested and the stubble plowed under). I didn't hit much past 50 yards, but I was usually very close on a few shots.

So, I'm just more comfortable with 'hold-over' on the rarer long shots than 'hold-under' on the more common close shots. I've always understood the maximum point blank range concept - just never felt as comfortable with a rifle sighted dead-on at some obscure range that I rarely shot at.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,384 Senior Member
    It's not just a cold bore, but a clean one. If I'm shooting in the deep woods where 100 yards is a long shot, I don't worry so much about it. But say I'm shooting on a ranch in Texas where 200 or even 300 might be necessary, (I don't like shooting beyond 200 as I'm not a dedicated long range shooter) I like to know where the first shot from a cold/clean barrel is going to go.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    So, do you aim 2" low on your sub-100 yard neck shots, or just put the crosshairs on your aim point?

I've never sighted in 1" or 2" high @100 yards like most seasoned hunters do, preferring to be dead on at my benchmark distance and using hold-over for longer ones. I grew up shooting .22's at running jack rabbits with a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto that would typically be sighted dead on at 25 yards. I would elevate and shoot way out past a hundred yards, compensating by the dust kicked up by the 'short' shots (this was usually in the plowed fields of west Texas, after the headed feed crops were harvested and the stubble plowed under). I didn't hit much past 50 yards, but I was usually very close on a few shots.

So, I'm just more comfortable with 'hold-over' on the rarer long shots than 'hold-under' on the more common close shots. I've always understood the maximum point blank range concept - just never felt as comfortable with a rifle sighted dead-on at some obscure range that I rarely shot at.

For my 222 I have it zero'd at 100yds. Its mainly used for Fallow deer but with head or neck shots it is capable of taking bigger animals like reds. I also use it more for stalking than 'sit and wait' and most of the deer have been shot at less than 100yds. ( Well over half have been at less than 50yds.) This allows me to hold near enough dead on for neck shots.

The 7mm08 is my 'go to' rifle for bigger game although I use it for Fallow when I know that I am hunting in more open spaces and I expect shots out to 200 or greater. ( Thats why I worked up the 120gr load cos the 140's do far more damage on small deer like Fallow)

I always hunt with a set of Leupold rangefinder bino's which I have set for the ballistics of the 7mm08. After spotting and ranging an animal, the bino's will give me the 'hold over' for +200yd shots and 'hold under' for those less than 200. Anything over 200 is normally a heart/lung shot...........anything under 200 I am confident of taking a neck shot even allowing for 'hold under'. If I decide to take a neck shot between 100 and 200 I normally try for the base of the neck rather than the top as the bone structure is wider towards the base. Each shot is different irrespective of the range and if I am not confident of taking a head/neck shot then I dont.

For sub 100yd neck shots ( 7mm08) I aim 1/3rd up from the 'bottom fur line' depending on the angle the head is being held at. ( broad side shots.)

I have had to ignore the scope on a few ocassions when I have stalked to within 10-20yds and have just sighted along the side of the barrel. When I was doing the deer cull in thick bush, I took 2 deer at less than 12yds in one day after stalking in to them. Each one was just a brown blur in the scope and it was necessary to drop my head and look under the scope and along the side to line the barrel up with my intended aim point.

Because I love the 'Art of the stalk' I invariably try to close the range as much as possible and the closer I get the more likely I will be in a position to be confident of making a neck/head shot. Hope this explains what I do.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    It's not just a cold bore, but a clean one. If I'm shooting in the deep woods where 100 yards is a long shot, I don't worry so much about it. But say I'm shooting on a ranch in Texas where 200 or even 300 might be necessary, (I don't like shooting beyond 200 as I'm not a dedicated long range shooter) I like to know where the first shot from a cold/clean barrel is going to go.

Dan

Yep, thats exactly what I wanted to check. The first shot from a Cold clean bore. When I got home I cleaned the T3 and put it away. I know that when I take it out next time it will put the bullet exactly where I expect it to.

Like you Dan, I have never professed to be a 'long range' shooter. The furtherest I have shot a deer with the 7mm08 is (from memory) 248yds. ( I held 1" high for a heart/lung shot..........It dropped on the spot.)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    It looks like your rifle doesn't change much from "cold and clean" to a fouled bore. The POI is virtually the same. Some of my rifles have a noticeable impact point change after the first shot, but think it might be associated with bedding rather than the condition of the barrel.

My self-imposed range limit on deer-sized game is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 yards, depending on wind and whether or not I can find something to use as an improvised rest. I've taken groundhogs and crows at 400+ pretty routinely with my .22-250, but I won't stretch a shot at game that far.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    We had this discussion before and Dan J mentioned he ran a dry patch down a clean bore to get all oil out, and this reduced POI differences in his hunting rifles. I tested this with my .223 Handi-rifle HB (on multiple range trips and on a couple groundhogs).

Clean, cold, and oiled was 3'' high, and running a dry patch cut that to 1'' high. This was repeatable.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    It is odd that the target is sideways. With you being in the southern hemisphere, I thought it would be upside down. That is only supposed to happen on the equator.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    It is odd that the target is sideways. With you being in the southern hemisphere, I thought it would be upside down. That is only supposed to happen on the equator.
    There were sun spots that day and they caused a glitch in the time continuum.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.