Caution, check all "New" guns you get carefully

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
As most of you know, one of my brothers passed a couple years ago. My nephew finally got around to getting the rifles that belonged to his dad outta the attic and sell the ones he has no use for and I offered to sell/buy them from him.

A couple months ago I finally got them, sold some and bought some for myself.

The triggers were so light on both the Savages, they were unsafe, at least to me. The Savage model 10 "Tactical" (on the bolt) would fire when I man-handled the the bolt. Thank God I had the muzzle up and downrange when three or four of my great-nephews and I were out shootin on Sand Mountain a couple months ago. I chambered a round and used to my MILSURPS, sorta rammed the bolt home BOOM.....talk about an eyeopener and a surprise I'll never fergit.

I have often been guilty of chambering a round when I reload and closing the bolt, to check that it chambers and ejects with no issues. NEVER AGAIN!That is, without using a "Dummy" round, no powder/primer and I'll never do it with factory ammo again either. Even if I'd had it in safe direction at home, a hole in the ceiling/wall/floor and the AD/ND that could of followed leaves chills up my spine.

I know for HD, handguns and rifles are loaded/unloaded (while kept in a safe direction/finger off trigger) all the time. Murphy's Law is alive and well, trust me. It will bite you in the butt when you least expect it.

I don't know if my late brother tinkered with the triggers after he started his cancer treatments hoping he would get back out to the ranges or he had them that way because he was a bench shooter and gingerly closed the bolt on the model 10 at the range.

He did get some fantastic hole touching groups with a lot of his rifles with his reloads..

I found an how to article on the Internet and re-adjusted the pull to 3 pounds. It was down in the OZ range , way under a pound!Three different screws you have to adjust on the pre-accutrigger Savage's.

Anyhow, I slammed, manhandled and banged the butt-stock on a fence post (unloaded ) trying to make it trip the trigger and it's now holding not releasing the sear.

The savage model 12 in .223 has the newer adjustable trigger, which was also way too light for my tastes, so I adjusted it up as well.

I have since fired both rifles with no surprises/issues.

My point is SAFETY ALWAYS, please be mindful of any firearm you acquire, new or used and don't assume anything. When I think of the possible consequences that could have happened that day to myself or bystanders, I get a queasy feeling in my stomach. I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself if the unthinkable had happened.

Don't get complacent with firearms, ever!
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    yep.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    When I bought A Contender from a competitive shooter, he had the trigger down to 8 oz, Before I adjusted it up, had to gently close it or its internal hammer would trip.
    I like light triggers, but I prefer them heavy enough that I can at least feel the trigger before it fires.

Glad no one was injured and you got the triggers adjusted to suit you :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Good advice, Chief.
    Being something of a trigger snob, I always check them before I buy. For me, it gets factored into the purchase, whether I can adjust it, need to replace it, or it's okay as is.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    I've described the AD I had with my Weatherby 7MM a few times, while function-checking the first round I reloaded for it. A warped trigger housing was the culprit there. I like triggers in the 1-lb. range, IF I'm going to be the only one behind the trigger. My "loaner" rifles and the ones the grandkids shoot are adjusted to 3 lbs. or so.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    A good cleaning, inspection and dry fire test is always a good thing on a new gun, even if it is used. Thans for the reminder Chief!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member