Old Bushnell Banner Scope Question

marlin spikemarlin spike New MemberPosts: 8 New Member
I picked up a Busnell Banner scope with rings at a garage sale. It's a 4x32 multi-x scope. The scope has a 1" tube. The marks on the bottom say: WATERPROOF / 4X32 / BL in a circle / JAPAN / U2023XX. The windage adjustment is what is normally found on a scope. But the elevation adjustment has me puzzled. The elevation reads 100 yds to 500 yds throught a window at the back of the knob. If the knob is turned far enough it has a 2A on it. The rings that were on it are for a rimfire base but the scope is definitely not for a rimfire. Bushnells Website doesn't have this scope, so I thought I would ask you folks for any information as to what I have and how to use it?

Thank you,
Bill

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Anything like this one? http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/banner/4x-32mm-matte-black-circle-x-reticle

Current production, probably a difference in the focus adjustment for the eyepiece (now the simple ring at the far back like the link, yours if "older" is probably a knurled lock-ring securing the rear lens bell).

The Banner was/is a "mid-range" scope for price and quality, better than the Sportview and other basic scopes put out by Bushnell but not quite the quality of the Trophy series. More than enough to serve the needs of a sporting .22 (as the rings on it imply) but not a bad budget-minded choice for medium-recoiling centerfires as well.

The elevation turret sounds like it's graduated for various ranges, however whether that wheel is for a .22 or a .30/06 (or other) would be tough to tell without either trial and error or finding a reference for it. Is there a screw through the top that holds the turret down or some other locking device? The idea with the little window would be to zero at, say, a known 100 yards the normal way, then adjust the elevation knob to read 100 yards through the window without changing the sight-in. Then, given that the knob was proper for your trajectory, you could dial in the other ranges and be reasonably sure your scope was in tune for that range.

Not sure offhand on the "2A" note, however, unless it's the manufacturer's subtle salute to the Second Amendment?
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,523 Senior Member
    Marlin, the BL means Bausch & lomb they owned Bushnell. I have a Banner thats been mounted on my .358 for over 30 yrs. The scope came with a set of inserts for the elev. and a booklet that told you which one to use for a given factory load, (243 with 100gr bullet, 30-06 W/ 180, etc)

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT