If you were looking for accuracy in a centerfire revolver what would you recommend...

DurwoodDurwood Senior MemberPosts: 970 Senior Member
Or what model/models and caliber come to mind? No particular use in mind other than wanting to put holes in paper where I want them or hit little objects with regularity and not be able to blame the gun when I miss:jester: I'm an experienced handloader if that matters.
You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Smith K-38 Masterpiece....K-32 Masterpiece....K-22 Masterpiece......Colt Python.........Smith 1955 Target......Or pick up a old Ruger Security Six....find a load it likes.....and try to learn to out shoot it......or spend silly money on a Korth.....just to say your the only kid on your block to have one.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    ....K-32 Masterpiece is the one
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Double-action, I'd say the Smith & Wesson 586/686 in .357 Magnum would be tough to beat for the price. Good trigger pull (although maybe not "great" when compared to a Python) but with a six-inch barrel its muzzle-heaviness and sight radius would contribute a lot to user-friendly accuracy. Finding an older jewel in a gun shop would likely save you some $$$.

Rugers are tough revolvers, and have extremely servicable accuracy potential, although their triggers tend to be a bit rougher as-issued than Smith. HOWEVER, the ease of disassembly and the easy installation of Wolff springs can do wonders for the Rugers as well. I wouldn't sell short a Blackhawk single-action for your purposes, either!

Caliber? For pure versatility (from target-load wadcutters to heavier hunting loads) a .357 Magnum would get my vote.

Plain-vanilla choices, maybe. But why argue with success?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    S&W 626 with a 4" barrel

GP 100 in .327 FM

S&W 610 with 6" barrel if you can find one

Highway Patrolman
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    On returning to think on it, go on a hunt for a multi-barrel Dan Wesson revolver. Time was the barrel mount (threaded at the back end, also threaded at the muzzle, putting both ends under tension) was reputed to contribute heavily to the DW accuracy.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    How much $$$ do you have???

S&W PC 627

SM170210.jpg?maxwidth=520
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Forgot that one....A OLDER Dan Wesson properly set up Was a winner at the IHMSA matches.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    How much $$$ do you have???

Nice....but it ain't no Smith Target of Old......Ken
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Nice....but it ain't no Smith Target of Old......Ken

just say the K 32 and be done with it
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    If money was no object I would get a Sig P210 for a target pistol, always wanted one.

For a revolver I have always wanted one of the K22's
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I love the looks of that weapon. EXCEPT, that gay writing in the side. "357 mag -eight times"
    Seriously,some douchbag at s and w thought that was a good idea?

The wheels on the little bus go round and round.....round and round.......
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    S&W 657 .41 RM 6 or 8 3/8" barrel...
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Right now, I'm thinking K-38 Target Masterpiece
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    I've had a couple 357 Securty Six's my current is a 6" model. I really like it. I've also had a couple 44 mag Super Black Hawks my favorite being a 5 5/8 stainless. All needed Wolff springs to clean up the trigger and Hogue grips to improve the handling. I had a 4" Colt Trooper but didn't like the frame size in a 4" barrel. The Security Six made a better back up pistol where I hunt. I've also had a 686 6", it was an acurate piece but not fun to carry all day and didn't come out of a houlster easily. For a target revolver it was great but my primary purpose is as a back up hunting weapon. My current OS gun is a 44 mag S&W Mountain gun. It's accurate and a joy to carry but I'll never get rid of my Security Six. For a plinker I'd stay with a 357.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    My Ruger GP100 in .357 is my most accurate.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Nothing new and nothing Ruger is in the running:yawn:

Not a Ruger hater, I own several, they just don't turn my head much these days.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

My mom has that one and loves it.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Colt New Service Target.
    Colt Python.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Colt Python.
    Mom's got one of those from the 70's too.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    OK...... with the new parameters in place, and a browse thru Gunbroker. These two caught my eye.....

I find the .45acp interesting..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337933219

pix314895502.jpg

Colt triggers are awful nice..... http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/337933000/337933219/pix314895502.jpg

pix867534693.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    A Smith "non slab side" 627 would fit the bill perfectly.

pix2940324080.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    start with a Colt "snake" gun.. Diamondback, Python..
    Smith K-38...
    Ruger Bisley
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    My choice for the most accurate chambering is 10mm. All of my handguns are capable of greater precision than I have the ability to take advantage of. But, in my hands, the 10mm in a plain old Glock 20 platform produces surprisingly better results than either of .357s (Ruger & S&W) or any of my 9mm or .45 ACP semi-autos. On a good day, I have consistently hit paper plates at 75 yards with no holdover - this is with Glock factory fixed sights, just like it came out of the box.

The next nearest is a CZ-75B in 9mm, which is just as accurate with the Kadet .22 conversion kit installed.

My S&W Model 66 and Ruger GP-100 are capable of surprising accuracy, but I just don't shoot them as well, probably because I don't practice enough with them.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I'll go with a different choice. I like my Colt Trooper MkIII.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Colt New Frontier 44 special 7 1/2 inch barrel.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 470 Member
    Lots of good choices mentioned. Depends a bit on what kind of shooting you intend.put most of the guns mentioned in a ransom rest and they will shoot with more accuracy than most folks can attain on their own. I own a Dan Wesson and as one poster stated, it was favored by the silhouette shooters for it,s long range accuracy. I would try very hard to find one.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    S&W K32 or K38
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    All kidding aside, My best friend has a 6" .357 Python, an 8" .38 Python, and the Wife has a 4" .357 Python from the late '60s. My 6" blued GP100 outshoots them all, for each of us, every time. The trigger isn't as smooth, but damned if it don't shoot tighter than any of these Colts.

Just sayin'...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    one ragged hole accuracy with a .38 wadcutter
    The old 148 grain hollow base wad cutters or Double edge wad cutters were and still are the pick of bullseye shooters.

group was from an old Highway patrolman with 148 HBWC's
    The gun and bullets are capable....I'm not
    IMG_0316.jpg
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Look in the used cases for something gunsmithed up for PPC competition. .38 wadcutters and semi wadcutters cut little cluster as small as the shooter was able to hold while standing on his hind legs.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net