Savage Rifle Questions!!!!! Yes, I'm asking!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
OK......IF......a man were to consider getting a Savage rifle.......he'd have a few questions first.

1. Difference between 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, 16/116 etc.
2. Action screw spacing. Why are there differences? Short action vs. long action?
3. Barrel nut:
a. Difference between 'standard shank' and 'large shank'. Barrel contour or action size? Or, thread length?
b. How do you take a smooth barrel nut off if you wanna change the barrel?
c. Are barrel nuts interchangeable? Grooved to smooth or standard to large?
4. How hard is it to change a barrel on a Savage? Is it basically a switch barrel rig?
5. There are bolt handles for sale like crazy. Are they easily interchangeable or what?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Iirc, 10 is short, 110 is long action. Same with the rest of the numbers.
    If 10 is short and 110 is long.....what is an 11, 111, 12, 112, 16, 116?

Action screws get tricky, depending on when they were made.
    What a pain in the butt.

There is a savage forum, they have the answers
    That's like going to the Blue Oyster Club. No thanks.

Ok.

Difference between 10, 11, 12, 16?
    Basically, I see parts on Midway for the 10. I see NO parts for the 11-16. Why?

Interchangeable?
    Now just stop all this crap and buy the hog hunter and be done with it.

You wanna chase off a customer?
    ???
    I worked 65 hours last week, and mowed all day today. You are gonna have to speak reaaaaaallllll slowly tonight.

I have ideas. Before these ideas can happen.......I have questions. If these questions don't find answers..........these ideas can't happen............ergo............no Savage Hog Hunter.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    ???
    I worked 65 hours last week, and mowed all day today. You are gonna have to speak reaaaaaallllll slowly tonight.

He...WANT...U...to Con him.....into....buying.....a plastic stocked.....stove...pipe...lug wrench....combo tool.....that smells funny....and needs a sheep dip.....before he can bring it anywhere near the kids........
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    You really must be facing some kind of hell Zee............contemplating buying a Savage................And finding out there is a Savage forum you have to join to get answers to questions.

About the only saving grace is that its not a 270...............

It really is a cruel cruel world. :bang:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    He...WANT...U...to Con him.....into....buying.....a plastic stocked.....stove...pipe...lug wrench....combo tool.....that smells funny....and needs a sheep dip.....before he can bring it anywhere near the kids........

Harumph!

Blazing-Saddles-mel-brooks-17584814-712-361.jpg
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    My 116 is stainless.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    orchidman wrote: »
    You really must be facing some kind of hell Zee............contemplating buying a Savage................And finding out there is a Savage forum you have to join to get answers to questions.

About the only saving grace is that its not a 270...............

It really is a cruel cruel world. :bang:

Isn't it sad to see the path of self destruction one is willing to contemplate.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    You know, you Savage is beneath me Carney, CALL SAVAGE AND DESCRIBE WHAT YOU WANT, I will PAY for the hat, then you will not only be smarter, your wife will suddenly find you desirable, all new stuff.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You wanna chase off a customer?
    You got it wrong. You are supposed to say, "What are you going to do to keep my business?"
    Just buy the damn thing, and leave it stock. Tell the voices in yer head to hush up.

madnessdemotivator.jpg
  • jdmjdm New Member Posts: 27 New Member
    So much for a 308 beat around gun, huh?

Don't judge me. I'm sick and need help.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    OK......IF......a man were to consider getting a Savage rifle.......he'd have a few questions first.

1. Difference between 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, 16/116 etc.
    2. Action screw spacing. Why are there differences? Short action vs. long action?
    3. Barrel nut:
    a. Difference between 'standard shank' and 'large shank'. Barrel contour or action size? Or, thread length?
    b. How do you take a smooth barrel nut off if you wanna change the barrel?
    c. Are barrel nuts interchangeable? Grooved to smooth or standard to large?
    4. How hard is it to change a barrel on a Savage? Is it basically a switch barrel rig?
    5. There are bolt handles for sale like crazy. Are they easily interchangeable or what?

Ok. CPJ laid out the actions. They're basically all the same action, just different versions. 10's are standard, and tactical, 11's are package, 12's are target, 16's are hunting, 14's are the American series, nice wood stocks.

The action screw spacing is different on pre/post accutrigger, and short/ long.
    I'm not sure about the shank size deal.
    There's a wrench for both grooved and smooth barrel nuts. The smooth one is like a round pipe wrench.
    Not sure about the barrel nuts.
    Bolt handles are easily switchable, takes 10 min.
    So much for a 308 beat around gun, huh?
    It looks like he changed from a beater .308 concept to a switch barrel concept. You are over thinking this Zee!
    Going to have to change your user name from Zee to "See" I bought a Savage and I like it!:spittingcoffee:

Comments like that have been known to cause 180 degree reactions.

Just 'cause I'm considering don't mean I've sold my soul yet. I can still be saved.
    Oh I'm not judging, Milehighshoot errr, ummm, ....Zee.

Hey, I never said I was doing this. I'm just THINKING out loud!
    Jermanator wrote: »
    It looks like he changed from a beater .308 concept to a switch barrel concept. You are over thinking this Zee!

See my above post.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Ok. CPJ laid out the actions. They're basically all the same action, just different versions. 10's are standard, and tactical, 11's are package, 12's are target, 16's are hunting, 14's are the American series, nice wood stocks.

The action screw spacing is different on pre/post accutrigger, and short/ long.
    I'm not sure about the shank size deal.
    There's a wrench for both grooved and smooth barrel nuts. The smooth one is like a round pipe wrench.
    Not sure about the barrel nuts.
    Bolt handles are easily switchable, takes 10 min.

Thanks. Much more helpful than that toilet bowl floater, CPJ.

:wink:
    And why for the switch barrel idea anyway?
    So he can chamber a .358 when the .260 barrel is on it. Why else?

Only legit reason I can see for that damned barrel nut.
    I like them. I see the genius that is the barrel nut.

I do too. If you can switch barrels.
    Ssssssshhhhhh. He's finally figured out how cool savages can be, and his little carny brain is racing.
    Leave him be!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    Much hate for the barrel nut with this group.
    I like them. I see the genius that is the barrel nut.

When Savage was cheaper than everyone else...... sure.
    While they were going up in $$$ when most everyone else were dropping $$$..... not as much.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Ok first off :hand:

Second, if you want to change the bolt handle, stock, barrels, etc....don't spend the money on a pre-packed model. Get the cheapest 10 you can find or better yet see if you can dig up a Stevens 200 short action, might be able to find one for 200-300$. Its the basic 10 action, just no Accu-trigger. But there are aftermarket triggers for the pre-AT models, which you'll probably want to change out anyways so why buy the more expensive model just to get rid of the features you are paying for. Heck I think you can even swap the bolt heads to change from 223 to 308 to mag. There are even PF/CRF heads for mags. As well staggered feed to center fed magazines to magazine blocks for single loading.

Like was pointed out already, the numbers are just different features, Savage gives them different model numbers vs Remington's all being a 700, but having SPS, ADL, BDL, CDL, etc.

Shanks have to do with what what cartridge the barrel is chambered in.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762388/er-shaw-tactical-barrel-savage-110-series-small-shank-308-winchester-factory-varmint-contour-1-in-10-twist-20-matte-with-5-8-24-threaded-muzzle

Its there on the product description, large shank is for RUM, WSM, Lazz, etc. Small shank for non-mag.

I THINK you can just change out the barrels with a vise, bolt nut tool and headspace gauges. And a lot of barrels makers have a special section on their pages for Savage barrels that all come pre-threaded and ready to screw on. In reality they're like the bolt action version of an AR or 870/500, lots of stuff you can swap in and out on your own to your hearts desire. Pretty much anything available you can do to a 700, just without requiring a smith.

Start with something like this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338301778
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Yeah, you gotta watch the stagger vs. center feed, though. A lot of the cool aftermarket parts are for the center feed models, and don't interchange with the older stagger feed models. I found that out last year when I bought a 110 to build a rifle on. I was all ready to go, until I realized I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the older stagger feed action I bought. I ended up trading it back in (at a loss) on that M77.

FWIW, the barrels are the same. I wanted to go from a blind mag to a DM setup, and all the bottom metal and stocks I could find were for center feed models. That, and I was gonna have to go to the extra long magazine.
    I think there are more options with a short action.