Savage Rifle Questions!!!!! Yes, I'm asking!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    I'm not looking to build one from scratch. I'm not even looking to get an old one and fix it up. The idea of a low impact .308 still stands. A gun ready to go from the start with features I want is what I'm after.

But, I'm also looking at what can be done in the future. What can I tinker with as I have time and cash? What can I change?

Yes, I tinker with guns. I can't help it. Even though I want a beater, I still want the option to play.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Oh, well then. Carry on.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    But, I'm also looking at what can be done in the future. What can I tinker with as I have time and cash? What can I change?

Yes, I tinker with guns. I can't help it. Even though I want a beater, I still want the option to play.

Oh for the love of. . .

Buy a Savage. Put a scope on it. Install in truck. Go hunting.

If you have to pimp, buy something WORTH pimping. A stock Savage is the mark of a man being frugal for any number of reasons. A tricked-out Savage is a sign of penny-smart / dollar stupid. Kinda like a Camaro with a Corvette's price worth of bolt-on's.

SNAP OUT OF IT!!! (Consider yourself slapped)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    110 vs 111 vs 114 vs 116 is about options and packages. 110 is standard long action with synthetic and blued, My 111 came with a Simmons scope...the 111s are the packaged ones. 114s are the "american classic" ones with decent bluing and nice walnut. 116 denotes stainless IIRC...these are all long actions, substitute 10,11,14,16 for short actions with the same notes...
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Oh for the love of. . .

Buy a Savage. Put a scope on it. Install in truck. Go hunting.

If you have to pimp, buy something WORTH pimping. A stock Savage is the mark of a man being frugal for any number of reasons. A tricked-out Savage is a sign of penny-smart / dollar stupid. Kinda like a Camaro with a Corvette's price worth of bolt-on's.

So you're saying that Zed should buy a Savage?? What's next? Should I buy a Walther?? GOOD GOD, MAN!! WHERE WILL IT END??????!!!????
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    A stock Savage is the mark of a man being frugal for any number of reasons. A tricked-out Savage is a sign of penny-smart / dollar stupid. Kinda like a Camaro with a Corvette's price worth of bolt-on's.
    Yep.
    We have a "beating a dead horse" smiley in our library. Maybe we need one of a smiling sow with two silk purses hanging from either side of her head, to be used whenever someone launches one of these "Benchrest-grade Moisin Nagant" threads.

This is BAD guys! Next thing we know, Zed will be putting "I have a V8" mufflers on Honda Civics. Whisper along with Colonel Kurtz: "The horror!. . .The horror!"
    WWJMBD?

500902_1280123663437_full.jpg
    :popcorn:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Soooooooooo, when someone takes everything but the action off of a 700 and builds it up, it's ok.
    But it's not ok to do the same with a Savage? All because of a barrel nut? (Which can be eliminated if you so choose)
    I guess I don't understand.
    Kinda like a 1911 with a full length guide rod?
    500902_1280123663437_full.jpg

I thought you'd never ask!
    WWJMBD?

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    Soooooooooo, when someone takes everything but the action off of a 700 and builds it up, it's ok.
    But it's not ok to do the same with a Savage? All because of a barrel nut? (Which can be eliminated if you so choose)
    I guess I don't understand.
    A Remington 700 action is a tried and true precision-machined piece of tubular steel of the highest quality that can be readily trued for precision.

A Savage action is a piece of high quality tube steel that seems not to need all the work to get the same results.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    A Remington 700 action is a tried and true precision-machined piece of tubular steel of the highest quality that can be readily trued for precision.

A Savage action is a piece of high quality tube steel that seems not to need all the work to get the same results.

OOOOOOOOO......this is starting to get good now.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Kinda like a 1911 with a full length guide rod?

Stay focused.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,502 Senior Member
    Acording to the bible to continplate doing it is as serious as doing it! Have you fantacised about it yet? Is the posability of something different turning you on?. The nice thing about guns is you can trade your 44 for a pair of 22s.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    You're way over doing this. If you trick out a beater, then you need to buy another beater. If it's a beater you want, get one and leave it.
    TSchub wrote: »
    You're way over doing this. If you trick out a beater, then you need to buy another beater.

and the error with this logic is what?
    Stay focused.

Pfffft. How come cpj gets to stir up stuff, and I don't? :tooth:

OK. The good news is, if you buy a new Savage for a beater, you'll have no problem pimping it later, after it's all beat up. Or you get a wild hair, whichever comes first.
    Pfffft. How come cpj gets to stir up stuff, and I don't? :tooth:

OK. The good news is, if you buy a new Savage for a beater, you'll have no problem pimping it later, after it's all beat up. Or you get a wild hair, whichever comes first.

See?! Now THIS is staying focused.

:-)
    See?! Now THIS is staying focused.

:-)
    Maybe so, but it's not nearly as much fun as the alternative.:p
    Maybe so, but it's not nearly as much fun as the alternative.:p

Like forgoing the Savage and buying a quality rifle to begin with?
    Like forgoing the Savage and buying a quality rifle to begin with?
    Geesh.
    Geesh.

:roll2:
    Ain't takin that bait.

You're no fun.
    We have a "beating a dead horse" smiley in our library. Maybe we need one of a smiling sow with two silk purses hanging from either side of her head, to be used whenever someone launches one of these "Benchrest-grade Moisin Nagant" threads.

This is BAD guys! Next thing we know, Zed will be putting "I have a V8" mufflers on Honda Civics. Whisper along with Colonel Kurtz: "The horror!. . .The horror!"

The thing is, if I even GET this Savage, and if I even DO these additions..........the ultimate goal is NOT to create a match rifle or squeeze a diamond out of a lump of coal. I am simply contemplating enhancing it's usefulness to me by creating options with the additional barrels, stock, and bolt. Not so it will be something it's not. But, so that I would acutally USE the damn thing!
    It would be pretty cool to have all the 308 based cartridges in one rifle.
    It would be pretty cool to have all the 308 based cartridges in one rifle.

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind.
    I figured. A little fuel on the fire never hurts.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Oh but Savage makes plenty of .270s. One of the best shooting .270s I ever saw was my son's Model 110. And that was definitely NOT a woman's gun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Someone is going to feel left out in the cold, when you start adding all these barrels yourself...:nono:
    The thing is, if I even GET this Savage, and if I even DO these additions..........the ultimate goal is NOT to create a match rifle or squeeze a diamond out of a lump of coal. I am simply contemplating enhancing it's usefulness to me by creating options with the additional barrels, stock, and bolt.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"