Savage Rifle Questions!!!!! Yes, I'm asking!

12346»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,611 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I resign myself to the fact that not everyone will love Savage, or Remington, or the .270 Winchester.

Fixed it for you. :wink:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Fixed it for you. :wink:

That's ok it's true and I will say not everyone loves .270s OR 7mm-08s. What a boring place this would be if we all thought with one brain and soul and all loved the same things. Then we couldn't spend hours arguing over little eccentricities like we are all prone to do.

But it would be interesting to see you get a beater Savage and trick it out just for comparison with your Remingtons.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • browninghunter86browninghunter86 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Andrew

Just my opinion, but I don't think anybody here thinks they're junk. It's just that they aren't everyone's cup a tea...

I used to shun them thinking that my Remington and Winchesters were superior, but I later came to believe that they are all great American built firearms.

I now say, each to his/her own.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Jesus H. Christ, didn't I say that 2 pages ago?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Call me slow.
    cpj wrote: »
    Soooooooooo, when someone takes everything but the action off of a 700 and builds it up, it's ok.
    But it's not ok to do the same with a Savage? All because of a barrel nut? (Which can be eliminated if you so choose)
    I guess I don't understand.

Well there may be many things that you don't yet understand Grasshopper, but the point is you have a point.

My gun smith always recommends to me to get rid of the barrel nut. I tell him then it might as well be a Remington. It's not a Remington. If I wanted another Remington I would have bought one. There's beauty in them thar barrel nuts! Also in them thar floating bolt heads. Savage may not be for everybody, but for Gods sake, for those of us they are for can we just keep that barrel nut in place? Savage didn't put it there to make it look pretty, they put it there to save money and at the same time improve accuracy.

Nuff said!
    Well crap!

Hanging out at the LGS today, playing with the guns and such. In the process of conversation, my friend at the store mentions that they are getting a couple of Savage Hog Hunters in next week.

Well, I asked him to hold one for me to take a look at. He said he would. ****.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    My LGS has some nice XDs and XDMs in stock; he could ship one to your FFL.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    My LGS has some nice XDs and XDMs in stock; he could ship one to your FFL.

Piss off!

:-)
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :wink:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Well crap!

Hanging out at the LGS today, playing with the guns and such. In the process of conversation, my friend at the store mentions that they are getting a couple of Savage Hog Hunters in next week.

darkside_zps687930d9.jpg
    Bwahahahahaha :devil:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The saving grace with this, the shop ordered them and I didn't. So, if I don't like it.........no big deal. It goes on their rack. If I'd have had to special order, I'd have been kinda stuck with it.

This gives me an opportunity to look and hold one first. Then, if it sucks balls......a way out.

Unfortunately, the cheapest Remington they had in stock was $649. I ain't spending that on this project.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Keep in mind, I don't OWN a savage, but it sure is fun yanking your chain about it :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    7 pages. Looks like my estimate for when to check back in on this thread to see that you bought one was correct.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Well crap!

Pimp your LGS for the Savage hat when you buy the gun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    7 pages. Looks like my estimate for when to check back in on this thread to see that you bought one was correct.

Nope. You're premature.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member

hell I tried to tell him that..

if I was going to the shoot, I'd take it.. furthest south I'm getting that weekend is Central Indiana..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    hell I tried to tell him that..

if I was going to the shoot, I'd take it.. furthest south I'm getting that weekend is Central Indiana..

Those ain't no Hog Hunter Rifles. That like saying an SPS is the same thing as a 40XB.

Apples to Oranges.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Those ain't no Hog Hunter Rifles. That like saying an SPS is the same thing as a 40XB.

Apples to Oranges.

yeah yeah...
    if it was me doing it for me,
    I'd get the 338, have that BUTT ugly stock dipped, put a military sling on it and start shootin' the livin' poop out of it..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    Nope. You're premature.

Or maybe I can see the future :)
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C