.270 with 2000-MR

M3mh0gM3mh0g New MemberPosts: 14 New Member
I've been reloading for about a year now and have successfully reloaded 5 different pistol calibers without issue. I decided to go to rifles now and am starting with .270 Winchester. Went to my LGS yesterday to get all I need. I had my mind set on H-4350 or H-4381 powders. I let the owner (who has given me a lot of good advice in the last year) talk me in to Alliant 2000-MR instead. I purchased some 130 gr. Winchester SP and 140 gr. Nosler BT.

I have found a load to try with the 130 but nary a one with 140. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this powder?

I'm nervous about testing a off book load with no guidelines, I'm still pretty new at this.

M3M

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    Simple solution- - - - -go straight to the source:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Ask the powder manufacturer if they recommend using this powder with 140 grain bullets. If they say "No", pick another powder. It's hard to go wrong with RL-19 or IMR 4350. RL-19 is the only powder listed that gets the velocity above 3K FPS. The Nosler manual lists IMR 4831 as the "most accurate" powder tested with the 140 grain BT.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,004 Senior Member
    From what I see about the 2000-MR, it works better in smaller cases, like a .308. You'd be better served with IMR 4350 or 4831
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    I tend toward RL22 for the "Odd Duck", but only because Im not willing to pay the freight for VV N560.

Post your barrel length. The someone with the good software could reccommend a powder for you.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • M3mh0gM3mh0g New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    22" barrel. I picked up some IMR 4831 today. Ill hopefully get to the range this weekend after getting out of the turkey hunt. Still waiting on that email from Alliant.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    M3mh0g wrote: »
    I've been reloading for about a year now and have successfully reloaded 5 different pistol calibers without issue. I decided to go to rifles now and am starting with .270 Winchester. Went to my LGS yesterday to get all I need. I had my mind set on H-4350 or H-4381 powders. I let the owner (who has given me a lot of good advice in the last year) talk me in to Alliant 2000-MR instead. I purchased some 130 gr. Winchester SP and 140 gr. Nosler BT.

I have found a load to try with the 130 but nary a one with 140. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this powder?

I'm nervous about testing a off book load with no guidelines, I'm still pretty new at this.

M3M

No comment on Alliant 2000-MR. Never used it. I have used RL 22 though. It's comparable to the IMRs and Hodgdons. I have been using IMR 4831 for about 30 years. It's my "Go TO" .270 propellant. It's accurate and gives me about 3100 FPS out the muzzle with 130 grain bullets of several manufacturer. I also tried H-4350 once. It gave me a bit better velocity, like about 30-40 fps, out the muzzle, but wasn't as accurate.

I have to add this. If you do try IMR 4831, work your load up in hot weather. I did the opposite at first and got a suprise. I worked the load up in the winter. Then one day in the heat of summer I went to the range with it and had the bolt sticking and the bullet left a vapor trail all the way to target. It also flattened the primer. What I'm saying here is it is a bit temperature sensitive so keep that in mind.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.