Price check, aisle 1911

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,378 Senior Member
Circa 1920 commercial Colt 1911 (pre A1), roughly 85% finish intact.

Has the following modifications:
- Bomar style adjustable rear sight
- Commander style hammer
- Beavertail grip safety
- Trigger with 3 holes drilled in it, and subsequent trigger job.

Obviously it has no collector value, but as a sum of its parts what would you say it is worth?

I have always fantasized about finding an old Colt like this that has already been worked on and I could use as a classy working gun.

If it figures in to your value, I would have to spend about $50 in gas to drive a few towns over and get it.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Ugh. I'd wonder about how much it was shot. From what I understand, the heat treat and metallurgy weren't up to today's standards and they can have issues.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Do you know or can you find out who did the work?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Do you know or can you find out who did the work?

Still waiting for a reply from the seller, I'll ask.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tissue:

Probably a $2000-$3000 gun left alone. As is, probably about a grand. Thing is, you can get a Loaded Springfield with all that stuff that you know who built, you know where it's been, that's most likely more tightly fitted with a lifetime warranty for about that kind of coin.

The Horse can have a strong influence on the weak minded, however.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,058 Senior Member
    Myself, I wouldn't touch it unless the price was way cheap. It's been messed with way too much.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Would you guys consider $600 way cheap? The guy is asking $700, I was thinking of trying to get him down to $550 or $600.
    Honestly, without knowing who did the work and what parts were used, I'd walk away. Even if it's pre-A1, I'd hesitate.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    The 500-600 range is about right.....if the work looks good,,,,,but no more than 6 bills...IMHO///Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    Even at $600 I'd want to put a box thru it before the deal was made. There are about a bazillion messed up trigger jobs floating around out there just waiting to find a new home. If it is messed up, it can be fixed but how much more $$$ in parts do you want to go??

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    Matt, just walk away.

NRA Endowment Member
    If it was a 1911AI, it would be worth more, IMO, than a bastardized 1911. The slide has been milled for the sights, and likely the front sight replaced. I'd walk. But I already said that, I guess.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Get a new one from S&W, Springfield, Remington, or another big name.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If the frame is unaltered then the gun could be worth that much just for the frame.

I had not even considered this angle. Hopefully the seller gets back to me. If this doesn't work out I will just hold out for a Ruger SR1911 Commander.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,544 Senior Member
    Matt, is the Bomar sight lowered into the slide? The proper way to install one is to mill the slide so that the sight is lower and more streamlined into the slide. This of course destroys any collector value once you machine the slide but I've seen some people just slap one into the dovetail on a stock slide either not wanting to spend the money to have it fitted or expect to get more for the gun with a Bomar on it. Also, is it a fitted beavertail or one of the "bolt on" types? If it is a fitted one then the frame was machined some and the collector value was reduced but if the slide and frame were not machined at all, the pistol could be returned close to an original condition. If there was any machining done on the pistol, I wouldn't give more than five bills for it but if the guy just bolted stuff to it and it could be restored, then your offer would be more in line.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Matt, just walk away.

I agree not worth spending money on.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Matt, is the Bomar sight lowered into the slide? The proper way to install one is to mill the slide so that the sight is lower and more streamlined into the slide. This of course destroys any collector value once you machine the slide but I've seen some people just slap one into the dovetail on a stock slide either not wanting to spend the money to have it fitted or expect to get more for the gun with a Bomar on it. Also, is it a fitted beavertail or one of the "bolt on" types? If it is a fitted one then the frame was machined some and the collector value was reduced but if the slide and frame were not machined at all, the pistol could be returned close to an original condition. If there was any machining done on the pistol, I wouldn't give more than five bills for it but if the guy just bolted stuff to it and it could be restored, then your offer would be more in line.

The slide has been machined properly for the sight, but I don't know about the frame.
    The slide has been machined properly for the sight, but I don't know about the frame.

There you go. The slide has a lot of information on it, and to alter it by milling doesn't add to the collector value, no matter how well it's done.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06