Midway needs to put the crack pipe down.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,610 Senior Member
I have .284 Winchester brass on my "Wish List" at Midway. I also have a notification set. Up until yesterday, it was listed as "Out of Stock-Seasonal Run". Which means, the company only makes the product on occasion and when it comes available, Midway will get it.

Yesterday, I got a notification email from Midway. The .284 Winchester brass was changed from "Out of Stock-Seasonal Run" to "Coming Soon".

Woohoo!!!!!!

So, I go to my wish list to see when it will be in stock.

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

Seriously? That's what you got for me, Midway? Don't think I'll hold my breath.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,343 Senior Member
    To be fair, I have an order at another big box online dealer that showed virtually the exact same backorder status with the exact same dates. Sounds like a rolling slip from Winchester which I HATE.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,610 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Just size down ought six brass, you ninny.

Right.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    To be fair, I have an order at another big box online dealer that showed virtually the exact same backorder status with the exact same dates. Sounds like a rolling slip from Winchester which I HATE.

Not only are they showing two dates............but, both are a YEAR out!!!!!! How the Hell is THAT "Coming Soon"?

CPJ wishes!
    Zee wrote: »
    Not only are they showing two dates............but, both are a YEAR out!!!!!! How the Hell is THAT "Coming Soon"?

CPJ wishes a year was coming soon.

That's a typo, at least it seems to be a typo - they SHOULD mean 2013. At least that was the estimate Cabela's sent me after the original date slipped:
    21-4321 Winchester Unprimed Rifle Brass per 100 284 WIN.
    Backorder-Tentative arrival to Cabelas 04/30/13
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's a typo, at least it seems to be a typo - they SHOULD mean 3013. At least that was the estimate Cabela's sent me after the original date slipped:

You mean a typo like 3013 is a typo? I can't wait till 3013.

:-)
    You mean a typo like 3013 is a typo? I can't wait till 3013.

:-)

Yeah, that. :tooth:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Glad I got the 6.5-284 Norma and Lapua brass
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member

But it's not a .280 Remington, it's a .284 Winchester which has a larger diameter body than an 06 case. And to make things more complicated it has a rebated rimless case which means the rim is smaller than the case diameter. In other words you can't make these babies out of anything but themselves. Granted there are several wild cats based on the .284, and that's all you can make it from, unless you're a master brass swedger, former, whatever. In other words in our world you can't get there from here.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Durwood wrote: »
    Glad I got the 6.5-284 Norma and Lapua brass

I would bet Lapua or maybe Norma makes 284 brass, but the thing is he'll have to ransom his oldest child to buy them. If you can find Nosler they probably make it much cheaper.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Also, just FYI, .280 brass isn't easy to make from 06 brass either. From the base of the case to the beginning of the shoulder it's about .050 inches longer than an 06 case. That was done to keep people from chambering .280 Remington in a .270 Winchester.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,049 Senior Member
    Buffalo Arms has .284 brass in stock. http://www.buffaloarms.com/284_Winchester_Reloading_Brass_it-156964.aspx?CAT=3834

I got a bag of it but it's to hard to find, so I'm keepin' it!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Buffalo Arms has .284 brass in stock. http://www.buffaloarms.com/284_Winchester_Reloading_Brass_it-156964.aspx?CAT=3834

I got a bag of it but it's to hard to find, so I'm keepin' it!!

I might do that. More expensive than Midway.......but they have it. Never seen a place that sells brass by the piece.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    So just get some .270 for that Savage in your locker.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    Never seen a place that sells brass by the piece.

Track of the Wolf sells BPCR brass that way....they'll send you one case in a tiny envelope...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    Get them while you can!
    I might do that. More expensive than Midway.......but they have it. Never seen a place that sells brass by the piece.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    On 01 April, I spent an entire morning on Midway's website and talking to reps on the phone in an attempt to order Federal Match Large Rifle Primers. As the day progressed the expected date of arrival changed from 01 April 2013 to unknown.

As for the .284W brass, I believe this is either a typo or, as has been mentioned, the brass is a seasonal produced item. Even with a known production date, I would expect an available date to be a moving target.

This isn't just Midway, I have seen the inability to, or the refusal to, predict product availability at Natchez, Graf's and other such vendors.

As a side note, I received a (e)mail from Brownell's that a stripped AR lower that was b/o back in December '12 was in stock. I had actually given up on this order and considered it lost in cyber-space. Perhaps the panic is easing for AR parts. Now if the pipeline of ammo and components will flow again, I will be happy.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,049 Senior Member
    Get them while you can!
    :that:

.284 may be seasonal, but what season?? I'd get while you can, instead of waiting a year or longer from another source, just to save $10.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »

As a side note, I received a (e)mail from Brownell's that a stripped AR lower that was b/o back in December '12 was in stock. I had actually given up on this order and considered it lost in cyber-space. Perhaps the panic is easing for AR parts. Now if the pipeline of ammo and components will flow again, I will be happy.

AR lowers and other parts have been coming into stock at several places, for reasonable prices, for a couple months now. Granted they don't last long, but if you are set up for e-mail notifications and act quickly you can get what you need. I have gotten 2 lowers, 2 LPK's and a BCG in the last 2 months for near pre-panic prices.