Long and Heavy .277 Bullets

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,803 Senior Member
Being stuck in the mud and a creature of habit, I didn't realize somebody made a 180 grsin .277 bullet. Today I was surfing through Midway's catalogue and found Woodleigh 180 grain protected point .277 bullets. And at $35 and some change for 50 bullets, they weren't too expensive.

But the ad didn't give a minimum barrel twist. Then i read the reviews. One guy said they were very accurate in his rifle, but he didn't say what his twist rate was. However, another said they weren't all that accurate, while another said out of about 50 rounds he sent down range at 100 yards he only hit the target like maybe 10-15 times. He also said that the ones that hit looked like they keyholed. He said his twist rate was the standard 1":10". That's what my and most every 270 is. So I guess if you're going to use these, you should have at least a 1:9 or tighter twist barrel.

Does anyone have information on the minimum twist for a 180 grain bullet in a .270, if such information exists?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Just guessing, but since .277 is so close to .284 and all my .284s are 1:9 i think a 180 .277 should have a 1:8 or 1:8.5 some of the people here have good ballistic programs and can give you better advice.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Found this online "realguns .com" .277 180gr. @ 2500fps, AOL 1.391in., SD 334, BC 513 twist is 1:828 so 1:8 should work fine.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Yeah, this is the ad in Midway that got me started on this thread. I've looked through Midway's bullets online before and never saw any Spitzers over 150 grains.

Now I wonder who makes a .270 barrel with a 1:8 twist rate. It's not so much that I would want one. I'm just curious. Actually, for what I use my .270 for a 1:10 twist is fine. If I want to shoot 180 grain bullets I won't use a .270 or even a .280 or other comparable 7mm when I have a .30-06 and a .300 WBY available to use. However, if somebody would make a good 160 grain Spitzer I might be interested in trying some for kicks. I think my 1:10 twist will stabilize them. If not, I'm only out the price of a box of bullets.

My barrel being nearly 47 years old and having several thousand rounds put through it, may give up the ghost any year now. But when it does, I'll rebarrel it with no tighter twist than 1:9 and most probably another 1:10. I didn't buy it to shoot 1000 yard targets with, but instead for shooting deer and hogs at 50 to 400 yards and it does that just fine. I don't want to overstabilize my tried and true 130 grain bullets. For me, they are what makes a .270 worth having. Like I said, I'm just curious.

However, I would be interested to see if the cartridge with the proper bullet and barrel would be competitive in competition.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Thanks Ernie, I think you're a great mind reader. I said I'd like to try something as heavy as 160 grain, but 165 would be better if my barrel will stabilize them. That would make it more versatile. And, if my barrel does give up, a 1:9 twist probably wouldn't overstabilize my 130s, while I would bet it would stabilize these 165s just fine.
    I wouldn't worry about over stabilizing your 130's.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,958 Senior Member

How long are those bullets?
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    I would just contact them and ask.
    I'm sure they would be glad to give you the numbers.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"