Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Gas finds in east Mediterranean may change strategic balance.

shushshush Senior MemberThis Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
How do you think this will impact on the fine balance between the friendly neighbours in this peaceful part of the globe?

'A 2010 US Geological Survey report estimated that there were 122 trillion cubic feet (TCF) (equivalent to 3455 billion cubic metres) of gas and 1.7bn barrels of oil off the coasts of Israel, the Gaza Strip, Cyprus, Syria and Lebanon.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22509295

_67567232_gas_fields_464.gif

The big winner seems to be Israel;
'... last month, Israel started pumping gas from its new $3bn Tamar field, discovered in 2009. It has about 10 TCF of gas and could supply domestic energy needs for decades to come.
It has plans to develop its huge Leviathan reserve, believed to contain 18 TCF of gas and possibly some oil too.'
"Leviathan is actually the reservoir that can potentially bring Israel to be totally independent from an energy perspective and also position Israel as an exporter of natural gas rather than importer," says Yossi Abu, chief executive of leading Israeli natural gas company, Delek Drilling.
Delek Drilling and Avner Oil Exploration, also owned by Delek Group, own 31% of Tamar and 45% of Leviathan. Its US partner is Noble Energy.
"Israel can use the new natural gas discoveries as a bridge to have a better relationship with our neighbours," Mr Abu says. "It's a win-win for everyone in the area."
"We had discussions with the Palestinian Authority regarding supplying gas from the Israeli discoveries to a power plant in Palestine. We are also exploring potential opportunities to supply gas to Jordan."

What think you, all pal's together at last?:group:

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    One thing is for sure. Israel can gain a good deal of energy independence with all that gas and oil. And that is a good thing.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shushshush Senior Member This Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    One thing is for sure. Israel can gain a good deal of energy independence with all that gas and oil.

And reinforce some old friendships and make a few new ones, maybe?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    And reinforce some old friendships and make a few new ones, maybe?

We can hope. And we can always hope because no one has yet found a way to kill it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams