I see the USMCs Mission has expanded to include.....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,833 Senior Member
kissing the Presidents butt.....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/umbrella-toting-marines-protect-obama-turkish-pm-raindrops-184417144.html

I'm sure there was any number of civilian flunkies there who would have wet themselves for the opportunity to hold Ole Big Ears umbrella....on the other hand, using the two Marines in such a fashion is more than a little degrading....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    kissing the Presidents butt.....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/umbrella-toting-marines-protect-obama-turkish-pm-raindrops-184417144.html

I'm sure there was any number of civilian flunkies there who would have wet themselves for the opportunity to hold Ole Big Ears umbrella....on the other hand, using the two Marines in such a fashion is more than a little degrading....

Nothing new about that. It's always been their job. I figure the only thing worse than Embassy duty is Presidential Detail. Followed by duty at 8th & I Barracks. Followed by the Silent Drill Team. Followed closely by DI duty. Followed by Recruiting Duty.

Lots of jobs in the Marine Corps suck. You get used to it.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Is the Jarhead smiling? Next case. :usa: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    I think it's a grimace....
    I'd hate to be the Marine on duty when he has to take a pee....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    Is either one making the "under duress" signal?

crossed_small.jpg

:roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    That's disgusting.

I can't help but compare this to the first time Reagan visited Gorbachev in Moscow. Gorby had a woolen overcoat and fur hat on, while Reagan was bare-headed and wore a nice business suit. Supposedly, the Russian people marveled that a 75 year old man could look so good and apparently not even notice the bitter cold. Who knows how much effect this had on negotiations.

I also think about how many of us do our jobs, rain or shine, without even considering having somebody 'wet nurse' us. It's a small thing, maybe, but these sort of things don't earn a person much respect from the common folk.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    They couldn't have brought out some kind of portable cover, instead of making these two Marines look like lackey's?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/obama-breaches-marine-umbrella-protocol/

Obama breaches Marine umbrella protocol

The commander in chief of the American armed forces today forced a violation of Marine Corps regulations, so he wouldn’t get wet.

According to Marine Corps regulation MCO P1020.34F of the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations chapter 3, a male Marine is not allowed to carry an umbrella while in uniform. There is no provision in the Marine Corps uniform regulation guidelines that allows a male Marine to carry an umbrella.

Nevertheless, during a press conference under a light drizzle with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan this morning, President Obama allowed the First Head to be protected from the elements by an umbrella held by a male Marine corporal.

The relevant portion of the regulation reads, “3035. UMBRELLAS (Female Marines). Female Marines may carry an all-black, plain standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms. It will be carried in the left hand so that the hand salute can be properly rendered. Umbrellas may not be used/carried in formation nor will they be carried with the utility uniform.”

Items not expressly delineated as authorized components of the Marine Corps uniform are prohibited. Male Marines are informed never to carry an umbrella from the earliest phases of training.

Not even the President of the United States can request a Marine to carry an umbrella without the express consent of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, according the Marine Corps Manual.

The Marine Corps Manual, the guidebook that defines protocol for officers and enlisted Marines, in section 2806 paragraph 2, specifically states “The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/obama-breaches-marine-umbrella-protocol/#ixzz2TYmRotwo
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Obama was never in any danger from the rain anyway- - - - -he's not going to melt, not sugary enough, and SCAT FLOATS!
    Jerry
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,117 Senior Member
    Same thing used to be true in the USAF while was on active duty. It was funny, too, 'cause in England, France and Germany, it rains like a m[censored]. Raincoats and rainhats got a good workout! I'm not at all certain, but I 'think' USAF lifted that ban sometime after I got out in
    1966, but I'm not going to bet the farm on it. Maybe Tennmike's farm, but certainly not mine....
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,723 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Is either one making the "under duress" signal?

crossed_small.jpg

:roll:
    Jerry
    The wife and I were wondering this also.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Nothing new here. There are pictures online (not going to go try and find them) of each President Bush as well as President Reagan doing the same thing. It's not a big deal.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Anyone have a problem with this Marine holding an umbrella to shade an elderly veteran?

http://www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/2012/06/respect-enough-said-semper-fidelis.html
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    The old vet earned his shade- - - - -Obummer- - - - -I'd better shut up now!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    The old vet earned his shade- - - - -Obummer- - - - -I'd better shut up now!
    Jerry
    Exactly....the Marine holding the umbrella for the vet was an act of kindness and respect for a fellow warrior.....
  • GuardrailGuardrail New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem with this Marine holding an umbrella to shade an elderly veteran?

http://www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/2012/06/respect-enough-said-semper-fidelis.html

That is America. A selfless act for an old soldier. Obama is everything America should not be.

Guardrail
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Nothing new here. There are pictures online (not going to go try and find them) of each President Bush as well as President Reagan doing the same thing. It's not a big deal.
    Actually what you will find is that the liberal news media cannot tell a european uniform apart from that of a US Marine. You will find pics of the Army holding umbrellas for the Pres's, however, they ARE NOT STANDING AT THEIR POST.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.