Now IRS official will plead the 5th before Congress

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
Watergate? Mafia getting busted for the RICO ACT? Brings back memories.

Some IRS gal's lawyer said that's what she will do tomorrow. Others too.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    The House committee should consider any witness on a government payroll who refuses to testify to be in contempt of Congress, and order the sergeant at arms of the House to take the witness into custody, to be held in confinement until he/she is willing to cooperate and tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I think Congress should publicly declare, when this actually happens, that the IRS is a totally corrupt and morally bankrupt organization that personifies everything that is wrong with the federal government. Any government bureaucracy that considers itself immune from oversight by the Congress that allowed it to exist in the first place has to be abolished. There will never be a better opportunity to overhaul the tax laws, and if the Republicans don't run on this platform in the mid-terms, they are gutless, and part of the problem.

When these people actually take the stand and invoke this 'privilege,' the questioner should spend his time pressing this point home.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    Looks like there's a possibility she blew it by "testifying" first by reading her statement.

Hmmmmmmm
    This might get interesting
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/did-lois-lerner-botch-fifth-amendment-rights/

edited to add another link
    Republican Rep. Darrell Issa declared Thursday that the embattled IRS official who refused to testify Wednesday had no right to do so, and is now looking to haul her back before his committee.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/23/republicans-may-call-back-irs-official-who-refused-to-testify/#ixzz2U9ANToXk
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    An individuals right to "take" the fifth amendment is still valid.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,355 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    An individuals right to "take" the fifth amendment is still valid.

True, but the question isn't whether she can plead the fifth or not, but whether she can plead the fifth AND not plead the fifth....which is what they say she's done. I'm not sure of the constitutionality of that position, just saying that's where the question comes in. Just a bit above my pay grade...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    She made a statement under oath, so she can be cross-examined. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of a trial in which the defense can present evidence without it being challenged by the prosecution. Of course, she and her lawyers will say that isn't so and push that position as far as they can. It's probably just a matter of whether they can delay long enough for their opponents to give up...which they may do, being politicians.
    Okay, but does that mean she gives up the right to invoke the fifth period, or does it just apply to things she's already testified about? I'm thinking the latter, but don't know...
    George Carlin
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Okay, but does that mean she gives up the right to invoke the fifth period, or does it just apply to things she's already testified about? I'm thinking the latter, but don't know...

IIRC, she testified about three things BEFORE she took the 5th. All the legal minds that have commented on that say that she can be questioned on any testimony she gave BEFORE taking the 5th. Judge Napolitano gave a good review of the law on that particular instance.

I think a case should be made against her, and she should be tried in Federal court. Treat that worthless IRS heifer like the *&^%%***&^:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: IRS treats us common peons. Turn about is fair play, don'tcha think?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Virginia BoyVirginia Boy Member Posts: 213 Member
    It seems, that the 5th amendment, is the only one the
    dummocrats respect.
    Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
    shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.
    tennmike wrote: »
    IIRC, she testified about three things BEFORE she took the 5th. All the legal minds that have commented on that say that she can be questioned on any testimony she gave BEFORE taking the 5th. Judge Napolitano gave a good review of the law on that particular instance.

I think a case should be made against her, and she should be tried in Federal court. Treat that worthless IRS heifer like the *&^%%***&^:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: IRS treats us common peons. Turn about is fair play, don'tcha think?

I do, I do!
    George Carlin