Home Main Category Clubhouse

Questions for those living in the Southern hemisphere

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,202 Senior Member
While driving home from shoulder PT (pain and torture) this morning, an odd question popped into my "haid bone"

With Christmas coming in the middle of your summer, what do Christmas cards look like there?

With it being mid winter here, they normally have scenes of snow, relaxing fires in the hearth with stockings hanging from the mantle etc. That would be extremely out of place for the summer Christmas you have.

Or a more important question might be, do you even send Christmas cards to friends & family "down there" (south of the equator)???

Inquiring (even if somewhat demented) minds want to know :beer:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Funny you asked. Usually the same images and icons you have are shared here, even though temperatures at midday easily go over 25°C (Or 77°F for you). So you have all over images of heavily suited Santas in reindeer-pulled sleds, Caucassic-looking kids frolicking around a snow-covered Christmas tree, or happy snowmen distributing presents to a family gathered around a chimney.

Also there's the food irony. It's common to have dinner with the family the night before Xmass and staying at home "couch-potatoeing" the 25th., unless you have to see either your family or the inlaws and therefore you'll usually have exactly the same menu for both occasions: Turkey (Like you do in Thanksgiving), heavy, hot chocolate (While you're literally melting yourself), a soft Italian cake called "Paneton" (A foot tall with raisins and assorted nuts) you smear with butter and dip into the hot chocolate (Like we need all those extra calories to withstand the Nordic cold) and toppings such as baked potatoes and/or rice. Needless to say, if you're "only" 5 pounds heavier by next day, you've done good.

Regarding cards, it's a dying tradition, usually reserved for business relations than among family & friends, and yes, almost all show the same winter images you have. Commercial aspect of the festivity has overtaken the whole idea of the situation, and only the most "fanatical" believers (Mostly Catholics here) even bother to attend church (Probably only my mother and one of her sisters in my family side).

Why? Mostly due to U.S. commercial influence (Which I personally LOVE, specially the empty, materialistic shopping compulsion...you'd get it with a childhood under a commie military dictatorship that banned Santa and blocked cool toys importations among other lunacies). Have seen my in-laws in Chile still keeping some of the European-style Xmass traditions, but even there where US influence was historically lower than here it's slowly changing to the commercial format.

Lots of food, crappy gifts (Less the one made to me by myself....usually gun-related), obnoxious relatives, boring family & business reunions, shopping hell (No sales here; prices usually increase) and horrendous traffic jams.....boy I HATE Xmass but at least I get a happy grin from the wife when she opens her present and eat more than I'm usually allowed.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the information with me. :beer:

Hot cocoa does NOT sound good to me in the summer :nono:

Anyone else want to chime in?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Antonio, when you stir the hot chocolate, what direction does it go in?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    Paul-- I kind of wondered the same thing about you folks that live in the Southern US.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Paul-- I kind of wondered the same thing about you folks that live in the Southern US.

It's cool to cold weather and generally without all that funny white cloud dandruff (snow) screwing up everything. Florida and the Gulf Coast is interesting, though. Colored light strings all over the palm trees; I like it! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    How the most Southern State celebrates Kalikimaka. :tooth:

SANTA%2BSURFING.png
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

Ah! When I first saw the thread title I thought it was about the Coriolis effect, too.

btw, I've asked this of some Aussie pals long ago, re seasonal festival stuff and so on. In Aussieland and I'm sure NZ too, they do the Christmas thing, even if it's only a secular holiday these days. Religious people are gonna do religious things regardless of where they live, of course.

But their greeting cards and holiday decorations are more warm-weather modified nowdays, with Santa and Elvis (excuse, "elves") but not a lot of snow scenes. So Santa kind of stands out wearing a red and white snowsuit. Of course, he'd do that if it were cold, too.

Incidentally, they call the months of June-August as "winter" and the months November-February as "summer", labeling the seasons according to the weather and not European custom.

And yes, water drains clockwise in the southern hemisphere but it isn't as well established as most people think, because the Coriolis effect is very slight, and other factors, such as toilet/basin geometry and initial input flow have a greater effect. But if all other factors are carefully excluded, then yes, water drains CW in the south, CCW in the north.

Since this is a gun forum, y'all do realize that artillery shells are aimed electronically to compensate for the Coriolis effect, right? (or left, depending, I guess)
    LMLarsen wrote: »

I like it shaken, not stirred.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    I like it shaken, not stirred.
    :roll2:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    I aint got time to answer in full right now but I don't send cards and if I get any they are used to light fires in winter . The envelopes are stuck to brown cardboard and used to sight my rifle in..........

Yes the cards do have pics of snow and sleighs and toboggans and Christmas trees and jolly santas and presents and angels with tips of fir trees stuck up their rears and candles and cottages with santa on the roof and all the rest of that crap that makes people go to their relatives houses and say to their brothers-in-law who they cant stand and haven't seen since last xmas, things like " its good to see you" ( when it isnt) and after you have drunk their cheap whisky ( cos he's a deadbeat in a dead end job and should have been shot before he could marry into the family and cant afford Glenfiddich) then you leave saying something like " I had a great time ...We must get together in the new year and have a BBQ ( when you would rather cut your manhood off than spend any more time with the standing in front of you)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Ok, thank for the info :beer:

Remind me not to send you a card this December doomed.gif

Excellent rant, orchid...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that the snowbound vision of Xmas is so prevalent when MOST of the world that particular situation just isn't true!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Maybe a fat, old bearded man isn't a good marketing tool if he's running around sweating, shirtless, wearing sandals & in a bathing suit.

And at least around here, most people is hardly ever exposed to a Northern hemisphere winter climate, unless you live in certain very poor, isolated rural areas or you find it by chance in a trip to the mountains. In fact I didn't have long-lasting and complete contact with snow until I was over 26 years old when the in-laws took us to a Chilean ski center close to Santiago (Where I realized I only like softer, saltier versions of water thank you very much); before that I've only handled small snow patches (Usually more frozen mud than actually snow) in local travels to the Andean mountains, and most trips abroad were in our "winter" (We hardly go below 40°F over here) looking for warmer climates (Caribbean, Florida, etc.).
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    California's San Joaquin Valley never gets any snow, and seldom sees freezing weather. My daughter was about 4 years old before we got to visit Yosemite, about 70 miles east, and 3,000 feet higher elevation than the valley. Snow! She took a running jump at the first snowbank she saw- - - - - -and bounced off! It seems the snow had been there a few days, and the warm days and sub-freezing night time temps had built up a solid layer of ice on top of the soft layer underneath! Talk about a confused kid!
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    zorba wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the snowbound vision of Xmas is so prevalent when MOST of the world that particular situation just isn't true!

Much of the snow-related images go back to Currier & Ives who marked such fantasy illustrations for their calendars and appointment books. It's a fictional wealthy-countryfied gentry who have faithful Negro servants to gear up the horses and sleighs for a trip to grammas.

The actual Christmas-card promotion artwork w. a big happy Santa and such was essentially a businessmans' ad campaign. At the time, Christmas was a mostly family-oriented, religious and somber occasion. Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" changed all that in England, where he single-handedly created the festive image of dinners with relatives and shopping for gifts and that entire sub-culture.

In the US, the festive part of Christmas hadn't really caught on, and a group of Episcopal businessmen in the NYC area basically imported the Dickens-style celebratory mode here, putting a very secular tweak on a religious holiday. So from the early 19th century, the image of Christmas as festive (yeah, I know, "Festivus" ala Seinfeld) became the accepted mode of behavior in the Western Christian world.