Home Main Category Clubhouse

Why fast food managers go nuts- - - - -

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
Every now and then, I go off my "heart-healthy" diet and enjoy a greasy cheeseburger. A couple of days ago I was on my way back from a warranty inspection assignment and the urge hit to have a burger. Here's a short version of the conversation at the counter:

"I'd like a #1 combo with cheese, please." (Don't ever make a special order, it confuses people!)

"Dat's the full meal, wif fries and stuff?"

"Yes, please."

Several keystrokes on the cash register later, "Dat'll be $6.46"

I handed the young lady a $20.00 bill, a $1.00 bill, a quarter, two dimes, and a penny. She looked at me like I'd grown another head.

"Whatchoo doin' givin' me all dis money?"

" I want $15.00 back instead of a handful of $1.00 bills and some pocket change."

(Long pause) Finally, she carefully counted my money, and punched in the "amount tendered" into the cash register- - - - -Guess what- - - -the computer spit out "$15.00 change"! She gave me three $5.00 bills.

Next, she grabbed a drink cup, went around the counter into the customer area, and started filling the cup with ice and a soft drink. I'm wondering how she knows which flavor I want, because I haven't said anything about my drink choice yet. Wrong- - - - -this drink is for her- - - -she goes to the back of the store to take a break and leaves my order unfilled for her co-worker to finish! I guess I've committed the unpardonable sin- - - -getting in the way of break time! Burger King- - - - -"Have it your way!" NOT! BTW, she took two more breaks before I finished my meal!
Jerry

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Doing math in head causes great thirst!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, "Hold The Pickles, Hold The Lettuce, Special Orders Don't Upset US, Neither Does Horseflesh"
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I never do the drive through because if you're at the counter the burgers are wrapped so you don't get a booger in your Burger. :vomit: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Another fine example of not letting school get in the way of one's education! :rotflmao:
    Actually, it's not funny; it's sad.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Another fine example of not letting school get in the way of one's education! :rotflmao:
    Actually, it's not funny; it's sad.

Isn't that something~~~~~~~~In NC they are working on a bill that will require
    5th graders to write in cursive and know the multiplication tables :yikes:
    NN wrote: »
    Isn't that something~~~~~~~~In NC they are working on a bill that will require
    5th graders to write in cursive and know the multiplication tables :yikes:

That's a breath of sanity in an otherwise depressing world.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No one should have to write in cursive, save dor their signature.

Hey, I know guys who sign their checks with an "X"- - - - -and the bank cashes 'em!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,404 Senior Member

My wife speaks cursive....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

I agree. So many better things to spend teaching time on.

You know, like math and such. They should have a class on societal skills.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Many years back when I worked in the, er, "food service industry" to make side money while in college, the first thing my boss taught me was how to "count change." Duh.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    No one should have to write in cursive, save for their signature.

FIFY - and I agree. Cursive is dumb.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Agree, I haven't written in cursive for 30 years.

And also agree: "dor" is not a word, no matter how you write it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Agree, I haven't written in cursive for 30 years.

And also agree: "dor" is not a word, no matter how you write it.

Mmmmm...........'dor' is 'rod' spelled backwards. Either Freudian slip while thinking about fishing, or latent dyslexia, or both?

When the EMP shuts down all the electronic communications, people will be unable to communicate because they can't write in cursive, and their printing looks like something a 2nd grader on a bad acid trip scribbled, and is totally undecipherable. Some of us have foreseen this day and have squirreled away a manual typewriter and a few typewriter ribbons.:roll2::tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    For most people cursive is faster, there are times when a faster writing skill is necessary
    such as taking notes in a lecture, taking notes to do the meeting minutes etc.

If you can do without cursive ok; but, if you are not taught in school to use it,
    you will never know if it is better.

It is sorta like typing with 2 fingers or all of them.
    Bah.
    When's the last time you saw something that said: " please fill out everything in cursive"?

It isn't about filling out forms otherwise schools would teach how to use a calculator
    not math and how to use an I-phone/computer. If you know that why do you need to
    read and write. The computer could play the message over a speaker. Maybe convert
    voice commands to computer actions.

Why send kids to school except to get a free lunch and get them out of the house
    and not home when Dad comes home for lunch.

Be a lot cheaper for older tax payers if we did not have to fund schools.

Oh, I'm sending you some snail mail, it has a picture in it so you wont
    have to read anything.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

Years ago, I had a conversation with a third grade teacher. I said "Teach 'em how to type instead of wasting time on relics." She could not give me a reason why cursive is still taught, other than "we've always taught it."

If parents think their kids should know cursive, teach it at home. It adds nothing academically.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,884 Senior Member
    Serves you right for eating at Burger King ;)
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,404 Senior Member
    Wife and I stopped at a Thorton's gas station in Lexington Kentucky to fill up Monday morning and the clerk short changed me. Got $4.15 worth of stuff, gave the clerk a ten, and he handed me a bill and said, ''$5 in change.''........ It was a single.

I didn't look till we were down the road.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    potentialdemotivator.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Years ago, I had a conversation with a third grade teacher. I said "Teach 'em how to type instead of wasting time on relics." She could not give me a reason why cursive is still taught, other than "we've always taught it."

If parents think their kids should know cursive, teach it at home. It adds nothing academically.
    Pretty much. I suffered for years writing cursive - for no good reason. I learned to type in 4th grade and never looked back.
    A good friend of mine, a Greek emigre, once asked me "Why all the emphasis on Cursive writing?" - Greek is printing only.
    I agree - despite years of trying, my Cursive is horrible, but my block printing is pretty decent.

Fun fact: Most people don't know how to type very well - which is why we have pointers and mice!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Friend of mine is absurdly picky ordering his food; he could easily impersonate one of the TV sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" characters; this is a dialogue with a local fast food employee I clearly recall (While a LONG line of costumers were waiting):

- "I'd like a double bacon cheeseburger please"

- "Ok. sir, anything else?"

- "Yes...hold the cheese, the bacon, the lettuce, the tomato, the ketchup and the mustard"

- "But sir, I've already charged you for a double bacon cheeseburger!"

- "Don't care, charge it full price anyway"

- "You could have ordered just 2 burgers in a bun"

- "Oh!...ok, I'll have that"

- "Sorry sir, can't do it since it's not listed in the menu"

Needless to say, he got the full serving order plus mushrooms, and he had to remove everything by hand once seated back in the table. Priceless.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I learned to letter (not print- - - -there is a difference) in engineering school when we still did our drafting with a drawing board and a T-square. I use that virtually every day when I fill out inspection reports. Of course, then I transcribe the reports to a website at the end of the day.

We learned penmanship in the 5th. grade, using fountain pens, of all things! On the rare occasions when I do write something instead of using a computer printer or email, I get compliments on my handwriting. The invention of the ballpoint pen began the decline of the handwritten note or letter, as it's impossible to write well with anything other than a good fountain pen!
    Jerry
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I learned to letter (not print- - - -there is a difference) in engineering school when we still did our drafting with a drawing board and a T-square. I use that virtually every day .............Jerry

I take notes in it. I cannot read my own cursive writing. I don't need to write whole sentences to take notes so slow is not in the mix.

I'm told the largest problem in entry level fast food is to get the workers to show up. The second ..........well you witnessed it.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    Zed beat me to it.:usa:

Yeah. . .cursive. Stopped using it as soon as they stopped making me. One of the hazards of being right-handed and taught how to hold a pen by a left-handed mom is that printing is the only way to feign legibility. The signature is all I do with cursive anymore, and it's a cramped, pathetic thing.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Once I was no longer forced to use cursive, I went to printing. My signature varies in its legibility from day to day. Can't say I see much use to continue teaching cursive, except for one big factor.

The original documents that laid down the principles on which this country were founded, along with many major supporting essays and writings, are written in - guess what - cursive. While print copies abound and are readily available, I still think there's something to be said for being able to go back and look at the original and be able to read it for yourself, not take some transcriptionist's word that their version is accurate to the original.

Same with a lot of historic writings. While I might never lay eyes on the old envelope that Abe Lincoln scrawled the Gettysburg Address on, if I ever do I'd like to be able to read it for myself.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I just wish they'd fire that kid with the rubber mallet who smashes every sandwich as it goes into the holding bin.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    why do you think they call it "Booger Sling?"
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    When I need a burger fix, I go to Red Robin. They usually hire a better class of stupid.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    All I know is that the education system was working pretty well until the U.S. Dept. of Education stuck their noses in it and hosed it up to the point that this situation is the norm. They seem to have thrown a 3 foot pipe wrench in the bull gear.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I have to disagree with you guys. I was taught to write cursive in the second grade and am I glad. It takes me forever to print and it looks like crap. My cursive is neat and legible. When I heard that my daughters school doesn't teach cursive anymore, my first thought was "how the hell will kids know to sign their signature?" And again, it takes too long to print.