Home Main Category Clubhouse

How are those diets going, big guys?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
I fell off the wagon for a couple weeks not long ago, not deep or hard, just slipped. Had a few beers here and there, margarita w. TexMex, grabbed a BK & fries.

Understandably I immediately stopped losing weight. D'oh!

Now I'm back on track, today weighed 192 which is total loss of 44.5 lbs since Jan 4. Lots more energy and mobility now, use a cane much of the time instead of the walker. Don't have an absolute goal but I'd like to get down to 175-180 by the end of August.

How's it going for others on the diet wagon out there? Keep plugging away, gang, you don't want open heart surgery, I promise.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I've lost about 30 pounds - down from 330 to below 300. My target is 250, which was my 'playing weight' a few years ago when I was more active. I carry 300 pounds pretty well for a 60 year old (almost) man, but I'm trying to return, as close as I can, to that place where I think I can still keep up with the younger guys. I've decided to wait a few more years to get old.:roll2:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    I'm holding at 200---204, each day is different
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I fell off the wagon for a couple weeks not long ago, not deep or hard, just slipped. Had a few beers here and there, margarita w. TexMex, grabbed a BK & fries.

Now I'm back on track, today weighed 192 which is total loss of 44.5 lbs since Jan 4. Lots more energy and mobility now, use a cane much of the time instead of the walker. Don't have an absolute goal but I'd like to get down to 175-180 by the end of August.

How's it going for others on the diet wagon out there? Keep plugging away, gang, you don't want open heart surgery, I promise.

GOOD FOR YOU SAMZHERE!! There's nothing wrong with having a drink or burger every once in a while. Congrats!
    I'm down to 245 lbs from 265. I started about 6 wks ago. I didn't go on a "Diet", I just started working out and spending more time hiking and bycycling with the wife on the weekends. I guess I should mention that I quite the sugar, no soda, candy bars,,,etc.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    Wolf049: Actually, your are doing it right; junk food is the enemy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    Not so well. I'm stuck at 185-195 with a goal of 165. Diet is fine, but I simply haven't had time to do any exercise.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,887 Senior Member
    down 4-5lbs, but the big loss is the fat %, down 2%. Only 8 more lbs to go and 6% more fat loss then I can start gaining weight
  • Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas Member Posts: 56 Member
    Well I'm down 22.5 pounds since feb 19th 2011.
    My blood sugar level down near 60 points. That is th emore worry, But I eat what ever I want but I count the carbs.
    bummer really.
    but then I can have the pizza and beer, just need a very large veggie salad.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    You are doing better than I am Sam. Since the First of the year I am down 36lbs and 5 inches off my waist. In the middle of replacing serveral cloths items since my slacks went from a tight 42 or 44 down to 38s. Funny, when you wear your pants around your waist instead of under your gut you need to buy them longer too.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    Down 20 lbs since March. Not due to any particular diet, but the wife has been sick and not up to cooking for a while.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    I'm stalled at 208. 265 when I started then new job 5 years ago next month. 190 is the ultimate goal.

I have gone from a 40" waist to 36" and now they are loose.
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member

Good deal Sam...those occasional "lapses" make sticking to a diet much more manageable....many of those that deprive themselves completely end up binging and throwing in the towel.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Good deal Sam...those occasional "lapses" make sticking to a diet much more manageable....many of those that deprive themselves completely end up binging and throwing in the towel.

I'm going into a 4 day weekend. I just ordered a pizza on this very premise. I am golfing tomorrow morning (walking) to work it back off!:zzzz::angel:
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Terrible. I'm doing the diet, but my body isn't. I did enough complaining to my doctor that she threw a thyroid test on my blood work.....whaddaya know, my thyroid isn't working. Hypothyroidism. Just what I need. So I've got some pills, supposed to straighten everything out, weight should go away doc says.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I can see that everybody else is working on it and having okay success for the most part. We've got to keep on track, even if we slip up. If progress is chancy or slow, it's still progress.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    Serious motivational issues on my part: I simply WILL NOT diet, death being literally preferable to not eating what I want when I want it. Fortunately, none of my natural cravings seem to be overly suicidal, so I'm steady in the 6'2" 215# range. A little pudge, but I can still see all of my feet.

Which leaves exercise as the only real chance of getting to the 185# I'd like to be at. Having done the distance running, the distance biking, and the martial arts at one time or another, I can't escape the realization that the human body is annoyingly like a 1960's Jaguar - unless you LIKE working on it ALL. . .THE. . .BLOODY. . .TIME, it will never run particularly well. Until they can scoop out my brain and put it into a Toyota chassis that only needs to go running once a week (or month) to stay in peak shape, I fear I'm destined to be pasty-white, flabby and somewhat easily-winded. :roll:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    ......... Like the other day, he took me up this stupid hill. He left me in the dust, too. He was WAY ahead of me. I would have got off the bike and walked had I been alone. However, testosterone and male bravado took over and said
    " Oh yeah, Ill show your butt if I have to show mine doing it!" I made it, barely. Thought I was going to barf, but made it none the less.

:rotflmao: That's what happends to me when I go out riding with my WIFE. I get even with her come Monday morning weigh in, She's lost maybe...maybe .5 lbs. for the week. Me, 2-5lbs for the week. At that point, I get called every dirty name in the book (English & German).
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    I was equally unmotivated toward dieting until they needed to saw my sternum down the middle six years ago. Kind of got my attention. Lost 60+ pounds then, and stayed smaller but still overweight for a long time, but also maintained my health better too.

Then the gallbladder removal in April and now I'm on a crusade (with a small venial stop on the way occasionally for that cold beer!) and loss is slow but steady.

What's kind of amazing now, this past month, is that I am so used to dieting and eating right, I get on the scales out of habit and see another 1/2 pound gone and really don't remember working at it. Which is the best way, I guess. And of course the missing gallbladder means that if I DO overeat, I'm groaning for 2 days, like I've got a bowling ball in my stomach. So I've learned to moderate and it's working fine.

Congrats to all who are heading toward those goals, and some encouragment to everyone who's trying. It ain't easy, pals.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Hey Sam
    Now that you have lost some more weight, how is the concealed carry doing?

I have found that YES I can carry IWB. Maybe not as comfortable as OWB, but easily doable.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    Hit 200 even last week. First time in this Millennium....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Fell of too a few months back, made little changes on my eating habits and got serious about the workouts, 6 days a week now and lost some 30 pounds in the process, way to go still, feel a lot better, stronger and faster of course, I am getting better times, scores at the IPSC matches and women can't keep their hands off me!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Starting a new thread re. the concealed carry in a slimmer profile. Self defense section
    jbohio wrote: »
    Terrible. I'm doing the diet, but my body isn't. I did enough complaining to my doctor that she threw a thyroid test on my blood work.....whaddaya know, my thyroid isn't working. Hypothyroidism. Just what I need. So I've got some pills, supposed to straighten everything out, weight should go away doc says.

Me too. I've been on Levothyroxin for about 8 or 9 years now. Started at .75, got up to 1.5. Backed it down to 1.25 because it was making me really shaky - that's helped the weight loss stall, but I feel much better. In the mornings after I take it and drink my morning coffee (about 4 cups on average, refuse to give it up! I don't drink soda, just water all day) can be on the rough side. You can definitely tell the difference in my signature at 8am and 3pm.

Hereditary for me, Mom had hormone issues and I compare notes on usage with my younger brother. It has a huge impact on your weight. Ain't it fun getting older?
    :roll2::tooth::roll2:
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,786 Senior Member
    Well my weight loss stalled also sitting at about 28 pounds down, did get a little lower but put a few back on. I still eat mostly chicken and turkey but wife is an In and Out junky and I can't just sit there and watch her eat. Never did stop drinking soda but don't drink nearly as much as I used to.
    Lucky in one sense, been tested for diabetes 3 times now, zero indication. Same for other dietary problems. So for me, I can "starve" myself, eat small amounts, eat or not eat sugary stuff, and I'm fine regardless. It's just a low cal, low fat thing and I don't have to consider other aspects.

Missing that gallbladder has given me some genuine kick in the butt help, though. About once every 3 weeks I'll eat too much, and I really, really get rudely and nastily stomach ached that lasts for several hours, a good lesson to learn in my thick head. Not having the storage of those digestive juices means that you can't handle big quantities and suffer if you forget.

Lucky that spicy or rich food per se isn't a problem, only quantity. I can eat the hottest Mex salsa and I'm fine, just so long as the quantity is small.

It's kind of like "little Alex" in Clockwork Orange after his conditioning, wanting to "smash 'em" or grav that devotchick on the stage. The stomach seizes up on me. Good thing, really. No time for the old in-out-in-out, droogs.

Coffee gives me indigestion, has so for years. So I just sip bottle water and I'm keen. Bottle of Ensure for a meal replacement, that sort of stuff, and I find it pretty easy to stay on the diet. Helps that I'm not taking the girlfriend out for big meals since she brushed me, so I'm saving waistline and wallet.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,887 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

Which leaves exercise as the only real chance of getting to the 185# I'd like to be at. Having done the distance running, the distance biking, and the martial arts at one time or another, I can't escape the realization that the human body is annoyingly like a 1960's Jaguar - unless you LIKE working on it ALL. . .THE. . .BLOODY. . .TIME, it will never run particularly well. Until they can scoop out my brain and put it into a Toyota chassis that only needs to go running once a week (or month) to stay in peak shape, I fear I'm destined to be pasty-white, flabby and somewhat easily-winded. :roll:

Big Slug,

You should give weight training a try (actually ALL of you should). You can do a short weight session combined with a short cardio and actually end up doing more good for the body in fractions of the amount of time distance biking/jogging/walking can do. Just make sure you do it in the right order! Lift weights first, cardio AFTER. If you lift for 25-35 min, then do 10-20 minute or so of moderate or harder cardio you will shed some fat very fast. Your body first burns carbs as glucose, when doing ANY exercise before using fat stores. So if you are just jogging for example, it would take at least 20-30 minutes before you even START using fat as a fuel. This is what burns most people out because effectively you need to be doing like an hour of cardio to make and gains. Weight lifting, is more intense and is a better use of your glucose levels. So you burn off your glucose stores lifting weights, then when you start your cardio you are already right into using fat as the energy source.

Plus, lifting will increase more then just actual muscle strength. It will increase bone density, make the ligaments/tendons strong and more flexible, and helps to ease stress on your joints by making all the supporting muscles stronger. Weights will also boost your metabolism more then just cardio. Doing just straight cardio work can actually end up being parasitic to your lean muscle mass. The more lean mass in your body, the more calories you burn just being alive.

You don't have to go crazy, and should be careful when starting. I would recommend a program of all-body compound lifts. For those that don't know, a compound is a lift that move 2 or more joints. These use multiple muscle groups and burn glucose/fat the quickest, and make the best gains in supporting your over all health. Plus, by doing all-body compounds you get a huge work out in a short period of time, which makes it easier to stick to it and keep motivated.

Bench press, dips (for those that can do them) pull ups/chin ups, military press, squats, lunges, and various rows (upright, bent over, seated, etc) would really be all you need. If you did a light to moderate on each body region (chest, shoulder, back, core (lower back/abs) legs) 2-3 days a week, you'll see results fast, feel better, and be healthier in every way. Just take things slow, concentrate on good form, and ignore the meat heads using bad form to lift massive amounts of weight.
    Well, the damage totals for the long celebratory weekend are in. I gained 5.5 pounds! Eeek! Tuesday it's back to the tuna and the salads, my friends. And no beer!
  • samfissuresamfissure Member Posts: 60 Member
    My wife and I started the Belly Fat Cure at the beginning of the year. It's where you cut out sugar and your carbs come from whole grains. We also started reading EVERY food label before we buy. I was shocked to see how many different things had added sugar-even the brand of black beans we used to get! We now use stevia and maltitol instead of sugar. The great thing is we don't eat ANY of the low-fat stuff so what we eat tastes good and I don't feel starved. At my last cholesterol screening, my numbers went down, except for my good cholesterol which went up. And I've stopped snoring as much. I still have a ways to go - 30-40 pounds which I'm hoping the exercise will help get me to that goal.
    Who is John Galt?
    Latest pic, July 4 2011 with an old pal (he's on the left), I'm by no means slender yet but you can see the waistline is tapered & the shirt not bulging, jeans 36 after gaining 5 pounds over the weekend partying, sigh

samwbob7-4-11.jpg

and about a year ago, female friend is a lot cuter but I'm a lot bulgier, big gut cantilever hanging out, jeans 42 or 44 I forget:

sanwfruebd2010.jpg

btw I phoned the female friend this morning and we've got a lunch date soon.
    Latest pic, July 4 2011 with an old pal (he's on the left),
    samwbob7-4-11.jpg

Hey Sam, Thanks for the support to the Wounded Warrior Project!:usa::up:
    - Richard Henry Lee
    I give regularly to Wounded Warrior, one of the charities I try to support. The shirt I paid extra for but that's okay, all the money goes to the project. Very least I can do, help with some donations.