The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Built a serving jig for serving bow strings. Ifn you don’t know what I’m talking about, google will tell you. 
    A cheap one is $20-ish, but mine cost <$1.50 for bolts. Had everything else in scrap. 
    A pic of some different styles, and a pic of mine. I need to trim bolts, and it’s a bit kludgy, but will work as good as all, and better than some, store bought jigs. 

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    edited July 12 #30904
    Folks have, literally, been serving bowstrings for centuries, but now you've got to buy some expensive gizmo to do it, yeah, right

Looks good Pierre :up:

Only thing I MIGHT add to yours would be a wingnut on the bolt through the spool to make it easier to adjust tension
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    I like it, nice job Pierre.

With that gear and the right size thread, you will be able to replace line eyes on fishing poles, too.
    I have a need for speed
    knitepoet said:
    Folks have, literally, been serving bowstrings for centuries, but now you've got to buy some expensive gizmo to do it, yeah, right

Looks good Pierre :up:

Only thing I MIGHT add to yours would be a wingnut on the bolt through the spool to make it easier to adjust tension
    Yeah, there’s zero reason I can see to spend over $20 on one. If I was using this every day, I’d build it different. It’s big and kludgy. 
    Thought about a wing nut, went with a locknut instead. Figured once it was set, I didn’t want it moving. Best thing would be a locking wing nut. If they even make such a thing. 
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Your bowstring server is high tech compared to mine. As long as it works and puts the tension on the serving string you need, then it's good!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• GilaGila Posts: 164 Member
    zorba said:
    1st soffit framing complete. It was, of course, a minor PITA to do. Wood where I didn't expect it, no wood where I needed it, NOTHING square, etc, etc. One of those "eyeball it and hope" kind of projects, 'cause it sure wouldn't look right if it were square! Sheetrock goes on next, may wait a day or so - I'd like to sneak off to the range!
    Will it look like this when it's done? 

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,285 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    Will it look like this when it's done? 

Ain't that purdy! That gives me an idea for the doorway into my library...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    cpj said:
    Yeah, there’s zero reason I can see to spend over $20 on one. If I was using this every day, I’d build it different. It’s big and kludgy. 
    Thought about a wing nut, went with a locknut instead. Figured once it was set, I didn’t want it moving. Best thing would be a locking wing nut. If they even make such a thing. 
    The joy of doing it yourself. You can do it EXACTLY how YOU want it :wink:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Serving tool is bueno. Cut the serving off a brand new string and replaced it with pretty red and black serving. also served in my string silencers. 

Zee
    In case no one noticed, it's FRIDAY THE 13TH! Just a PSA for all y'all. :D
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 700 Senior Member
    FRIDAY the 13th doesn't scare me.....it's MONDAY the 13th that scares me.

Remember, it's the first 5 days after the weekend that are the worst.  :D
    tennmike said:
    I'm sitting here petting my black cat... I ain't skeered

The first soffit is now sheetrocked, and the corner piece and tape have been applied. Cleaned up the dust in the kitchen as SWMBO doesn't cope well with dirt/dust - MOST especially in her kitchen!

Mudding starts either tomorrow or later today...

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,011 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

I like PSA. Ordered a bunch from them. 😁
    Hotter crap outside. May take a Jeep ride down to the river.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    Going to finally get the tractor back from the shop today and have about fifty yards of horse manure to move and spread on the pasture. Then we have seven or eight small oak stumps to take out or cut below ground level and next week we'll get about thirty yards of course sand to spread where the manure pile used to be. The following week, the contractors will be here to put up our hay barn and finish the new run-in.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    1st coat of mud on the soffit. There's one transition spot that's going to be a bit of challenge to feather out, but otherwise I think it's going to be fine.

That gloss machinery gray will look good on that drill press. :)

tennmike said:
    That gloss machinery gray will look good on that drill press. :)
    I’d prefer it a bit darker. But, it’s what they had. And it’s better than rust color. 
    Big bits are now painted. It’s down to cleaning the tiny bits and assembling. I’ll have it a good way done this evening. Got the column free of rust, only some minor pitting and staining. Which will have to stay. I slathered it with Johnson’s paste wax and left it in the sun to dry. Made a nice heavy coat of wax! I’ll do the same for the tables once the paint is dry. 
    Zee
    edited July 14 #30924
    Cool beans on the drill press, looking forward to seeing it all finished!

Hot.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    It's 100 here, but only 30% humidity. Actually, 30% is high for 100 degrees. Usually only in the teens when the temps hit triple digits.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Going to finally get the tractor back from the shop today and have about fifty yards of horse manure to move and spread on the pasture. Then we have seven or eight small oak stumps to take out or cut below ground level and next week we'll get about thirty yards of course sand to spread where the manure pile used to be. The following week, the contractors will be here to put up our hay barn and finish the new run-in.
    Just a little busy, huh?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    50 yards of horse manure is a lot of political promises! :D Good fertilizer and soil builder, though. Ought to make the pasture perk up. Sounds like you got a lot of busy work ahead!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    It's 100 here, but only 30% humidity. Actually, 30% is high for 100 degrees. Usually only in the teens when the temps hit triple digits.
    I had to remove some tree branches last weekend. They were very much alive but almost as brittle as dead wood.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    50 yards of horse manure is a lot of political promises! :D Good fertilizer and soil builder, though. Ought to make the pasture perk up. Sounds like you got a lot of busy work ahead!

We've got some bare spots in the pasture that I want to reseed and my heart about stopped when I ordered the seed. I got two 40lb bags of tiffquick which is a hybrid tifton9 and it was 300.00 per 40lb bag.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    edited July 15 #30931
    I had to remove some tree branches last weekend. They were very much alive but almost as brittle as dead wood.
    Last weekend, it was 114. Even the people here are as brittle as dead wood.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx