The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,787 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Not so. Works out alright if you get somebody else to do the makin'. :tooth:

Yep. I know a guy in California who makes Red Velvet cake from scratch - the "right" way. You haven't had Red Velvet until you had one like his!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,181 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Not so. Works out alright if you get somebody else to do the makin'. :tooth:

Only me, myself, and I live here, and we all agree that very few baked goods will be done from individual ingredients. That would include biskits, cornpone, and sausage or bacon gravy, and cookies. Cookies gots to be homemade. And jerky, and apple pies.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,550 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    USN founded 13 October 1775
    USMC founded 10 November 1775
    USN was first!
    :tooth:

And the Navy was made up of sailors, and sailorspeak was hundreds of years old before the USN was formed, so we had a leg up on that 'Book of Magic Words and Phrases! :roll2:

Only after ADM Zumwalt picked the B day of the Nav in the 1970's.
    n 1972 Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt authorized recognition of 13 October as the Navy’s birthday. In contrast to Navy Day, the Navy Birthday is intended as an internal activity for members of the active forces and reserves, as well as retirees, and dependents. Since 1972 each CNO has encouraged a Navy-wide celebration of this occasion "to enhance a greater appreciation of our Navy heritage, and to provide a positive influence toward pride and professionalism in the naval service."
    "Oh gee, I'm a Admiral, I think I'll make my birthday the day before Christ's.."

So the ADM just picked a day before the Corps because he was tired of being the junior service since there was no actual date of birth that anyone agreed on, kind of like a stray pup with fleas, and sailors never knew when it was for almost 200 years. On the other hand Marines have always know when and where the Corps was formed. In a bar, where you properly do that sort of thing.
    :hand::tooth:
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Only after ADM Zumwalt picked the B day of the Nav in the 1970's.
    "Oh gee, I'm a Admiral, I think I'll make my birthday the day before Christ's.."

So the ADM just picked a day before the Corps because he was tired of being the junior service since there was no actual date of birth that anyone agreed on, kind of like a stray pup with fleas, and sailors never knew when it was for almost 200 years. On the other hand Marines have always know when and where the Corps was formed. In a bar, where you properly do that sort of thing.
    :hand::tooth:

The dates I provided were the acts passed by the Continental Congress. I reject your revisionist history. :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Navy can have the earliest birthday
    we don't care as long as they give us a ride when we need one
    and they keep buying our aircraft for us.

Semper Fi
    Navy
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Marine
    My
    Ass
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment.

:uhm: who do you think owns all the amphibious assault ships and aircraft carriers :uhm:

At least you got the "in" correct!
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My father was a NAVY man and the story he told me of how the Marine Corps came to be went like this...

The US NAVY was born and after the first long sail a bunch of sailors got together in a bar to discuss improvements. The consensus was that during those long periods of time at sea it got cold and lonely at night and it is bad luck to bring girls on a boat... :tooth:

Bolded part is where any credibility is lost. Its referred to as a "sea story" . Quite similar to a fairy tale, except one begins with "Once upon a time" and the other with "You are not gonna believe this sh"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    Fudge. Fudge. FUDGE!
    Going great guns on machining and I break the drawbar on my mill. Easy project to make, but one I had ZERO intentions on making. It was a little buggered in one spot but I made it work. Now it's really buggered

Maybe you ought to just buy one of these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/388894/rcbs-rapid-acquisition-shooting-system-rass-shooting-bench
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    That won't work as a draw bar. Duh.

No, but they work just fine as a portable shooting bench. Double duh!
    Jerry

Fudge. Fudge. FUDGE!
    Going great guns on machining and I break the drawbar on my mill. Easy project to make, but one I had ZERO intentions on making. It was a little buggered in one spot but I made it work. Now it's really buggered

I don't EVEN want to know how you managed to break a drawbar on a mill. :silly:

When I shoot, I want a solid rest. That RCBS contraption isn't solid.

The one I have is. I've made 1/4 mile shots on prairie dogs with it.
    Jerry

I've used an RCBS bench, similar to the one you linked, but without the rest. Wobbled like hell.
    I can assure you my rest is more stable than the RCBS. Of course, one needs a sturdy bench to place it on. So the RCBS wins the portability contest.
    But most importantly, I can't buy an RCBS contraption and sell it at a profit. Which is the goal.

Well good luck. I'd be glad to test any prototype. :jester:
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Well good luck. my grandkid whom I leave all my rifles to will be glad to test any prototype. :jester:

FIFY
    How much, how soon, and what colors will be available?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My father was a NAVY man and the story he told me of how the Marine Corps came to be- - - - - - -

I always heard it was because the swabbies needed dance partners- - - - - - -!
    :devil:
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I saw some black krinkle type paint I'm going to check out. Texture hides the sins of machining.

Crinkle black is "the classic" - but I'd suggest crinkle white or other light color as the black will get hotter than H,E, double hockey sticks in the sun at the shoot! Then there's glitter paint... :devil:

Good luck with the selling and marketing part.

A very good friend of mine invented and has a patent pending on a contraption that attaches to ladders and holds a gallon can or other assorted material.

He's been trying to sell them for years, but hasn't sold very many. I hope one day he hits it big with his invention, but it's not as easy as you might think.

Like I said, good luck on yours.

BTW, what about market research? Maybe you should venture west and arrange with some members to try it out on a prairie dog town.
    Jerry

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,341 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Well good luck. I'd be glad to test any prototype. :jester:
    You should have been at the SE Shoot. Lots of us got to test the prototype.
    Beats me. The hex portion on top is basically a nut with no threads. It slides over the bar. Then a pin is inserted through one side of the "nut", and runs through the rod. But only one side of the "nut". Keeps it somewhat captive. The top of the rod is what broke. There wasn't much meat left when they drilled the hole, and that's where it broke.

O.K. That makes more sense. I thought you broke the rod. I sheared the much smaller pin on mine and replaced the 'floppy nut' with a welded on piece of steel hex rod of same hex dimensions as the floppy nut. Drilled and bored the steel hex rod to to a tight press fit, and welded in place. It works and I'll twist the rod in two pieces before the nut breaks loose.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Mashed the end of my middle finger on my left hand but good this morning. I let my finger get between a ~#300 chunk of steel and the concrete wall. That was just about enough to make a man urinate down both legs. I mean it hurt so bad I didn't even break in the book of magic words and phrases.

Pretty much instantly my finger swelled up to fill the end of my glove. Now the pad is a nice hue of purple and I have a bruise under the nail too. So I probably get to look forward to a nail coming off.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Not sure what I was thinking...I can just weld that floppy nut to the broken shaft. Screw turning the whole thing down. Duh.

The hex thing on mine was brass, which is why I had to fabricobble a steel one.

And you need more practice thinking outside the box! :roll2:

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    Mashed the end of my middle finger on my left hand but good this morning. I let my finger get between a ~#300 chunk of steel and the concrete wall. That was just about enough to make a man urinate down both legs. I mean it hurt so bad I didn't even break in the book of magic words and phrases.

Pretty much instantly my finger swelled up to fill the end of my glove. Now the pad is a nice hue of purple and I have a bruise under the nail too. So I probably get to look forward to a nail coming off.

Get a very small drill bit. Make sure it is sharp. Dip the tip of the drill bit in boiling water to sterilize it. Get a close friend to drill through the nail by placing the bit on the nail as close as you can to where it goes into your flesh or on the centre of the darkest spot while you grip the base of your finger tightly with your other hand. ( Gripping your finger tightly will dull the nerves in my experience)
    Get him/her to slowly twist the drill bit by hand until it just breaks through the nail ( which is why you dont use an electric/battery powered drill cos it will go completely through your finger like drilling through butter.)

What will happen is that the hole will release the pressure under the nail so expect blood to spurt out. Keep it open for 4-5 hours to allow it to drain, then stick a bandage over it to stop crap getting in the hole. After a couple of days go to a place that does nails and get them to put some of that nail stuff they use for false nails over the hole to seal it. It will then grow out normally until the hole gets to the end of your finger.

It will also cut back on most of the pain which is caused by pressure on the bruised area as the blood cant escape.

You can drill it out using your other hand if no one will do it for you. I normally use a 1/8 drill bit.

The alternative is to get a new large sewing needle, heat it up with a gas torch and melt a hole in the nail in the same place as above.

Trust me, it works.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Somehow calling it the Big V Rifle Rest...is going to lead to a lot of jokes. I guess I could roll with it, and have a cat as my mascot...

I get the joke - but what about "V is for Victory" or some such?

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Get a very small drill bit. Make sure it is sharp. Dip the tip of the drill bit in boiling water to sterilize it. Get a close friend to drill through the nail by placing the bit on the nail as close as you can to where it goes into your flesh or on the centre of the darkest spot while you grip the base of your finger tightly with your other hand. ( Gripping your finger tightly will dull the nerves in my experience)
    Get him/her to slowly twist the drill bit by hand until it just breaks through the nail ( which is why you dont use an electric/battery powered drill cos it will go completely through your finger like drilling through butter.)

What will happen is that the hole will release the pressure under the nail so expect blood to spurt out. Keep it open for 4-5 hours to allow it to drain, then stick a bandage over it to stop crap getting in the hole. After a couple of days go to a place that does nails and get them to put some of that nail stuff they use for false nails over the hole to seal it. It will then grow out normally until the hole gets to the end of your finger.

It will also cut back on most of the pain which is caused by pressure on the bruised area as the blood cant escape.

You can drill it out using your other hand if no one will do it for you. I normally use a 1/8 drill bit.

The alternative is to get a new large sewing needle, heat it up with a gas torch and melt a hole in the nail in the same place as above.

Trust me, it works.

Maybe I'm crazy, but wouldn't it be better to see a doctor?:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »

I've done the thing Orchidman outlined and it does work, and blood will squirt out of the hole. :tooth: I used a #60 drill bit in a pin vise to drill the hole.

After a few days with the bandaid thing, I just used some superglue to stop up the hole. And how I mashed my index finger fingernail in the first place was with a 2# framing hammer driving 20 penny nails into oak barn planks to repair the barn. Hammer glanced off nailhead and 'nailed' my index finger.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You guys are hard!

At least no one snipped off the finger with a pruner so they could keep on working.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    WRONG!
    Having the correct tools has done ruint me! I've got the tools to build that draw bar. So, I started building that draw bar. Fabricobbling didn't even cross my mind! Had I been without the proper tools, I'd have made something work. Now I started doing stuff "right". This is a disturbing trend!

Uh, NO! I was in the middle of doing something when it broke. I never liked that wobbly brass thing to start with, so I fixed it. I had steel hex rod the right size. Put in lathe and drill and ream hole. Weld on draw bar. 20 minutes time and I'm back up and running, and flinging chips!

And you have both lathe and mill. So making a follower rest is a shop project. :tooth: :roll2:

tennmike wrote: »
    I've done the thing Orchidman outlined and it does work, and blood will squirt out of the hole. :tooth: I used a #60 drill bit in a pin vise to drill the hole.

After a few days with the bandaid thing, I just used some superglue to stop up the hole. And how I mashed my index finger fingernail in the first place was with a 2# framing hammer driving 20 penny nails into oak barn planks to repair the barn. Hammer glanced off nailhead and 'nailed' my index finger.
    The worst part is spinning the bit back and forth. Not as bad if its sharp, but if you have to put pressure on it :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:. Oh, and dont get your head to close watching the bit. There is pressure there and it looks like a Monty Python skit when you get through. I just let them scab up though super glue isnt a bad idea.
    early wrote: »

So he can drill the hole or tell you to live with it and charge you 150 bucks? Its a fingernail boo boo.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,165 Senior Member
    So he can drill the hole or tell you to live with it and charge you 150 bucks? Its a fingernail boo boo.
    Basically, this^^^^^. Honestly,that's what a doc's gonna do, so why not do it yourself? Yes, it hurts. Doc might use a local, might not. But pain is temporary...
    Overkill is underrated.