The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    He's in communist CA. He'd have to register that "assault rifle".

If I already owned it, I would have to register it as an assault weapon. Can't even buy em now.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    Meh. There is not really a good reason to put up with extra recoil for just bench work. Go with the .223. If if just have to have more umph get the .308. There are more options and parts on a short action rifle.

I've been meaning to ask you how things are going with your MVP? I'm pretty happy with mine and I barely got it done and sighted for the SE shoot. I dropped a Timney trigger into it and I'm glad I did but I changed my mind about swapping the mag well. The plastic factory one seems to be fine so far. I did find that it liked 62gr bullets better than 55gr but I haven't tried 75gr bullets yet. The only issue I have with it is that it made shooting at 100yds boring.:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I agree with the guy from Oklahoma. Ick. Can't believe I said that.

Can't argue with either of you. What you say makes sense, which is why I'll probably do the opposite. Only have a few months left to buy the ammo if I go with anything other than 223. As my momma always says, It's time to sheet or get off the pot.
    Groucho Marx
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask you how things are going with your MVP? I'm pretty happy with mine and I barely got it done and sighted for the SE shoot. I dropped a Timney trigger into it and I'm glad I did but I changed my mind about swapping the mag well. The plastic factory one seems to be fine so far. I did find that it liked 62gr bullets better than 55gr but I haven't tried 75gr bullets yet. The only issue I have with it is that it made shooting at 100yds boring.:tooth:

I like it a lot. I did the Timney trigger and the Tromix mag well and trigger guard. I have gotten better accuracy with 55gr bullets so far, but I have only tried one 62gr hunting bullet. I did try 69gr SMK and those shot great, 75gr AMAX in Hornady TAP did pretty good too.
    I haven't been on the trigger enough this year to really wring out more loads. The gun itself is great, the varmit stock fits me nicely and rides the bags well.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    Can't argue with either of you. What you say makes sense, which is why I'll probably do the opposite. Only have a few months left to buy the ammo if I go with anything other than 223. As my momma always says, It's time to sheet or get off the pot.

My first bench gun was a LR308. Great rifle, easy to shoot. Not what I would recommend for a first bench rifle. My first bolt gun meant for bench work was a 6.5x284, because I am a slow learner.
    I eventually got the Mossberg MVP Varmit in .223 and a Savage MKII. The 6.5, .223 and .22LR all have similar stocks, triggers and scopes. All are fed from detachable box magazines.
    I have a full set of rifles that can shoot from 10 yards to way out yonder. Unfortunately the only one I can claim to be able to use to its limits is the .22LR. Even then, better men can make me look foolish, easily.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,700 Senior Member
    If I already owned it, I would have to register it as an assault weapon. Can't even buy em now.

I forgot the rules where you live, sorry to dangle temptation.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I forgot how much fun can be had with a 50 cent box of poppers. The chickens like to scratch around the fire pit and they peck at anything light colored on the ground. A cup of coffee, a box of poppers, and I'm entertained for a little while.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,288 Senior Member
    Don't so much care for the taste of Grand Marnier.

But there's no accounting for my taste, I'm thinking I want a .270

What?!?!?!?! I can't talk to you for at least 2 hours. You are so wrong on both counts... you could substitute Cointreau if Grand Marnier is an issue but what are we? 18 year olds on spring break? :cuss:

Fixed autocorrect idiocy...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Patron should be sipped and enjoyed by itself. Not mixed in something to hide the flavor. That's what bottom shelf booze is for.

I had that attitude for many years and almost had a stroke when my buddy uncorked a bottle of 20 year old rum to make me a Mojito. When I protested he asked me, "Why? Did they stop making it?". He was 100% right. What are we saving the good stuff for? :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,292 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    ...18 year olds on spring brake? :cuss:

That's "break" - Sam told me so! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,622 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    That's "break" - Sam told me so! :tooth:

Autocorrect strikes again! :roll2:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,611 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

Wambli is high tech............ voice to text.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Women!

I need to draw a plot plan to apply for a permit to install this generator. That means I need to measure things outside. So I go out with 25 foot tape measure in hand, and my wife to "assist". Talk about ADD - the heat index today is 116, and she's re-arranging the patio furniture and wanting to know about the succulents that died, and all I want to do is get the damn measurements and get back inside!

Actually, she was a big help, even measuring short sections by herself while I was jotting down the previously taken longer measurements. But keeping her focused...

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Wambli is high tech............ voice to text.
    Yes and yes :cuss:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,038 Senior Member
    Women!

I need to draw a plot plan to apply for a permit to install this generator. That means I need to measure things outside. So I go out with 25 foot tape measure in hand, and my wife to "assist". Talk about ADD - the heat index today is 116, and she's re-arranging the patio furniture and wanting to know about the succulents that died, and all I want to do is get the damn measurements and get back inside!

Actually, she was a big help, even measuring short sections by herself while I was jotting down the previously taken longer measurements. But keeping her focused...

Clean would have dusted the patio furniture, too.
    I have a need for speed
    What?!?!?!?! I can't talk to you for at least 2 hours. You are so wrong on both counts... you could substitute Cointreau if Grand Marnier is an issue but what are we? 18 year olds on spring break? :cuss:

Fixed autocorrect idiocy...

It's been 3 hours, are we friends again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Groucho Marx
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Women!

Years ago I was paid by the hour one day to travel to various houses collecting patio furniture cushions for winter storage. During that time in my life it was a miracle of gravy train work from heaven. The person paying and instructing me was a very wealthy woman.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Yes and yes :cuss:

Voice to text, huh? I bet you REALLY have to proofread when saying words like beach, breech, and breach! :rotflmao:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Best buy that bolt action in .223 or .308 soon. California has about regulated the AR out of existence. Those fancy 'military grade bolt action rifles' with telescopic sights and military chambering are bound to come up on the California legislature's radar pretty soon.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    Voice to text, huh? I bet you REALLY have to proofread when saying words like beach, breech, and breach! :rotflmao:
    Technology still hasn't fully usurped the place of the Mark 51 eyeball and Model 92 brain working in proper unity.
    Overkill is underrated.
    NN wrote: »
    Clean would have dusted the patio furniture, too.

This one probably would have too if I hadn't said anything.

Best buy that bolt action in .223 or .308 soon. California has about regulated the AR out of existence. Those fancy 'military grade bolt action rifles' with telescopic sights and military chambering are bound to come up on the California legislature's radar pretty soon.

You mean sniper rifles? Oh yeah, every bit as evil as ARs and will be their next target.
    Groucho Marx
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    The VTT feature on my phone is on one hand AMAZING at what it picks up. On the other hand it misses some simple words. Same with autocorrect.

Short woods trip, brought the kid and the beagle. Beagle boy stayed on the leash, kid is afraid he will run off. His hunting days are limited to the fenced in backyard. Oh well.
    My 4x8 wooden stand is mostly sound. Mostly. Not sure what to do with it. Moving it would SUCK. If it gets moved I'll have to throw another sheet of plywood on top, as it's a bit squishy. My uncle moved one of his stands, not sure WHAT in the hell he was thinking. It always produced, but, it was too close to the trail where the deer cross. They were on you before you knew it. Or they came down the hill and were at eye level with you. Moving it 50 yards east and SLIGHTLY uphill would have opened up a LOT of shooting lanes, made it easy to see the deer before you could get a shot, and concealed your position better. But....he moved it WAY up hill, effectively screwing the hunter out of a lot of shots, and making it very hard to see deer.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,419 Senior Member

Good thing he ain't harelipped , might have to censor hissef...............:yikes: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    Been considering some new sights for my new pellet gun. Haven't done bad with open sights. Prefer a scope, but have kind of enjoyed sights. But, the fiber optic ones have GOT to go. They are fine for pop can sized targets, squirrel heads not so much. I actually blacked them out with a sharpie because they were distracting. And they are plastic. Bleh. One good snag and they are toast. Williams makes a peep sight that fits 11mm dovetails, I may go that way. Then just make a new front sight. It's got a God awful plastic barrel band type arrangement, I can replicate that out of steel or aluminum easily enough, just need a finer front sight. I've got a Williams sight off my handi rifle, I may look at seeing what it would take to mount that.
    Or, just get a scope. A scope with Mil dots would allow me to shoot stupid distance. 25 yards is about max with open sights. Sure that's about as far as I'd shoot a limb chicken, but it's fun to rainbow pellets in at 100 yards. Did that the other day with my CO2 gun, and it was a hoot.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Well, that was Charlie Juliet. Dance class canceled, but not until I was halfway there - we have a key to the studio, but the entire *building* was locked. A flurry of texts ensued. That's OK, I needed to take the car out for Diesel fuel anyway...

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    As of today, I have now traveled the entire length of the Natchez Trace. We took a short vacation through the MS Delta to Natchez. Today we came.back up the Trace to just North of Jackson. I've already been from Jackson to Nashville.

While traveling through the delta we passed.within 2 miles of the plantation where the famous Teddy Roosevelt teddy bear hunt took place just after the turn of the century.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Have you ever been to Nacodoches?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Nacodoches?
    Nacodoches? No...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    Me either