The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,229 Senior Member
    I have seen the accuracy of those DNA test kits called into question by those who would know.  Much more rewarding, but also much more time consuming and possibly frustrating is to research your family's history.  My brother has done (and continues to do) extensive research and I have been stunned at who he has found in our family tree.  It pretty much reads like a who's who of European historical figures I read about back in History class in high school.  My roots are English, Scottish and Norman among others.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Productive day at the salt mine and it ended on a high note. 👍

Tomorrow, I get to use my day off to move my daughter out of her apartment in Chicago. 😳

The good news is that nothing is packed yet, so at least I didn't miss all the fun.  Yay! 😭
    Is she moving back home?
    For the time being.  School is done, lease is up at the end of the month. 
    How bad was the load out home compared to the load out to take her to school?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,726 Senior Member
    It is going to get real lonely here on the net with all you guys gone playing !
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #25355
    I have seen the accuracy of those DNA test kits called into question by those who would know.  Much more rewarding, but also much more time consuming and possibly frustrating is to research your family's history.  My brother has done (and continues to do) extensive research and I have been stunned at who he has found in our family tree.  It pretty much reads like a who's who of European historical figures I read about back in History class in high school.  My roots are English, Scottish and Norman among others.

DNA test?

All taken with a very large pinch of salt by me.

Lounes Chikhi, CNRS Senior Scientist (Directeur de Recherche) at the Evolution and Biological Diversity lab, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France: "................. Everybody wants to be related to Genghis Khan or the Vikings (well I actually don't). The good news is that they all probably are."

Mike Weale, Reader in Statistical Genetics, Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, KCL: “I know it’s only a tiny part of my true ancestry, but I would still love to know whether my male line ancestors were Vikings, or Celts, or both, or neither.  Or at least be reasonably certain.  Same goes for my female line.  It’s a shame there’s no valid way to do that.”

Steve Jones, Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics, Evolution & Environment, UCL: “On a long trudge through history – two parents, four grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them. As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy.” 

This Viking theme seems popular.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    On my third 16 ounce Mickeys, and playing with a knife sheath design I’ve been kicking around for years. 
    This should end swimmingly. 
    One puncture wound, one ruined sheath. 
    But, I’ve got a knife I  like now, after reshaping the handle. 
    Pics?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Be careful playing with sharp objects!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,331 Senior Member
    I've heard that too. But I'm a direct descendant from Cleopatra!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Holy ****! I was supposed to get my eyebrows done last week. This is gonna hurt...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2018 #25360
    30.000  :)

, Alec missed it ;)
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    What in the world is Mickey's
    What in the world is Mickey's

My guess is that is a beer.....nothing I have ever heard of but then again I don't drink so what would I know lol
    edited May 2018 #25363
    Heck, I see you got Loctite................that way it would never fall out!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,592 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    On my third 16 ounce Mickeys, and playing with a knife sheath design I’ve been kicking around for years. 
    This should end swimmingly. 
    One puncture wound, one ruined sheath. 
    But, I’ve got a knife I  like now, after reshaping the handle. 
    Pics?
    That’s all I got. After shaping, the sheath won’t hold the knife. Goal was to adapt it to carry horizontal. I’ll try again but this time I won’t mosten to Mickey
    I thought Mickeys only came in bottles??   guess i thought wrong
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    zorba said:

NO NO NO-she did not have to dance just watch it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    But can Zorba do this?

In the Belly Dance world, that's called "Pharonic" style for obvious reasons. Pure fantasy of course, but  fun all the same! Cleopatra was probably a dancer, Egyptian royalty generally were required to dance for the Gods, and most queens - including Cleopatra - identified heavily with the Goddess Isis and would dance for Her. With that said, Cleopatra was a Ptolemy, and the last one at that, so things may have degenerated considerably by then. *shrug* Being descended from, or being the reincarnation of, Cleopatra is an old joke among Belly Dancers. The first would be impossible according to most accepted histories, and the latter? Who's to say?

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,229 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Well......you do dress just like her....woman belly dancing emoticon
    See?

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    But can Zorba do this?

I'd do that.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #25371
    Big Chief said:
    But can Zorba do this?
    More your Wilson and Keppel.

Sorry about the vid.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Diver43 said:

Tomorrow, I get to use my day off to move my daughter out of her apartment in Chicago. 😳

The good news is that nothing is packed yet, so at least I didn't miss all the fun.  Yay! 😭
    Is she moving back home?
    Home in time to mow, so that's a good thing.  The home bound load wasn't much larger than the outbound load, save for the potted tree (just a little guy, about 18" tall) that she bought at IKEA.  The truly annoying part of this process is that she thinks differently than I do.  I'm a "one trip, one load, all at once" kind of guy... so, this being the THIRD trip in had my tighty whiteys in a twist.  Even better, she wanted me to leave the bed and make a FOURTH trip next week.  I said 🐮💩, you can sleep on the couch! (which stays)

For what I've paid in gas and tolls, I think I could have hired movers to do it! 😠

Mrs. Cgg took the day off so we could have a day together, then the progeny sprung this on us. To say I'm in a foul mood doesn't quite cover it. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    edited May 2018 #25374
    I remember a couple awful moves my oldest daughter made in college...........usually an apartment on the 2nd story and involved loading and unloading a very awkward and heavy Futon I wanted to start a bonfire with! The frame was heavy and the mattress weighed more than a queen sized mattress and box springs combined and was awful to get a grip on. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    I remember a couple awful moves my oldest daughter made in college...........usually an apartment on the 2nd story and involved loading and unloading a very awkward and heavy Futon I wanted to start a bonfire with! The frame was heavy and the mattress weighed more than a queen sized mattress and box springs combined and was awful to get a grip on. 

I thought when you slept on a futon in was just a pad on the floor.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Big Chief said:

I thought when you slept on a futon in was just a pad on the floor.
    Used to be.  Now, they're mostly smallish, even more uncomfortable hide-a-beds.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Diver43 said:

Is she moving back home?
    Home in time to mow, so that's a good thing.  The home bound load wasn't much larger than the outbound load, save for the potted tree (just a little guy, about 18" tall) that she bought at IKEA.  The truly annoying part of this process is that she thinks differently than I do.  I'm a "one trip, one load, all at once" kind of guy... so, this being the THIRD trip in had my tighty whiteys in a twist.  Even better, she wanted me to leave the bed and make a FOURTH trip next week.  I said 🐮💩, you can sleep on the couch! (which stays)

For what I've paid in gas and tolls, I think I could have hired movers to do it! 😠

Mrs. Cgg took the day off so we could have a day together, then the progeny sprung this on us. To say I'm in a foul mood doesn't quite cover it. 
    SOP, dads moving kids home from college, especially daughters, keeps me busy(er) for a couple weeks in May, just buy her a pickup with a receiver hitch, she's going to be moving a lot for the next several years.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,797 Senior Member
    I've got to move a son from 1 house to another house in a week or so. Luckily he hasn't accumulated much. Yet. He's getting married in June. That move will be more involved. And may be to Orlando. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member

I have been having this ongoing conversation with the spawn for a while now. The,"I'm not your on call mechanic." one. When they need something fixed, and I say I can do it Sat morning, that doesnt mean Sat at 1345. They already know the I will help them move, after helping their uncle, they know that if I show up on the day of the move, and nothing is boxed and packed and there is no plan, I will be going home. Very little makes me as angry as people taking advantage of my good nature. I really have better things to do.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    People don't ask me to help them move. They do want to borrow equipment I have.
    Having lift gate trucks & carts They think I am the tool library.