The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Y'all been married for 100 years? :buff2:

It just feels that way.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,147 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    It just feels that way.

sometimes
    This message has been deleted
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,586 Senior Member
    Replaced that STUPID 15 amp 3AG fuse in the DC system on the generator with a 15 amp circuit breaker that I ordered last week.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,138 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Replaced that STUPID 15 amp 3AG fuse in the DC system on the generator with a 15 amp circuit breaker that I ordered last week.

When did STUPID become a brand name?

I know that the F word is a brand name in New York. You hear construction workers use it all the time.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    When did STUPID become a brand name?

I know that the F word is a brand name in New York. You hear construction workers use it all the time.

Hey, it is a USMC Adjective
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    15 amp 3AG fuse in the DC system on the generator

What's the DC system for, battery charging? If so, some engineer needs to be worked over with a belt sander and made to swim laps in a vat of alcohol. Surge current right after starting will go to 30-40 amps at least, more if you have to crank awhile before it starts.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    What's the DC system for, battery charging? If so, some engineer needs to be worked over with a belt sander and made to swim laps in a vat of alcohol. Surge current right after starting will go to 30-40 amps at least, more if you have to crank awhile before it starts.
    Jerry

Worse - if this fuse blows, it won't crank; its the entire control system. If the battery is low, the fuse blows. Ask me how I know this... :cuss:

Granted, its an old battery that needs to be replaced, blah, blah, blah. :blah: When I finally get this thing hooked up in its final configuration, I'll spring for a new battery...

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,997 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hey, it is a USMC Adjective

Only because y'all learned it, and its proper use, from us squids! :rotflmao:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,722 Senior Member
    We always started our power generators in the Army and let the oil pressure and other gauges build up and then flipped the switches/Ckt Bkrs to apply power to the equipment we had hooked up to them. Never keep the switches on what you are running power to on, wait for the Gen to get started and the "Thumbs Up" signal from the operator. At least that is the way it was supposed to be done.

Course there were gauges you could tell before applying power what the output was , except the smallest ones like 5 and 10KW. I worked with a lot of 15KW/30KW/45KW and we had 100KWs to switch from commercial power to tactical power on fixed missile sites.

I should say we 'Flashed' a switch that tested things and had a gauge on the instrument panel saying what it was producing to the loads. Long time ago..............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    We always started our power generators in the Army and let the oil pressure and other gauges build up and then flipped the switches/Ckt Bkrs to apply power to the equipment we had hooked up to them. Never keep the switches on what you are running power to on, wait for the Gen to get started and the "Thumbs Up" signal from the operator. At least that is the way it was supposed to be done.

Even with the new home generators that isn't a bad idea. Let it come up to speed and make sure is operating at correct voltage, and then sequentially turn on breakers to load the generator. Immediately going to full load is hard on the generator. Easier on the equipment being supplied, too.

Course there were gauges you could tell before applying power what the output was , except the smallest ones like 5 and 10KW. I worked with a lot of 15KW/30KW/45KW and we had 100KWs to switch from commercial power to tactical power on fixed missile sites.

I should say we 'Flashed' a switch that tested things and had a gauge on the instrument panel saying what it was producing to the loads. Long time ago..............

You speaking of generators in the service reminds me of one we had aboard ship. It was a JP5 fueled emergency turbine that was forward of my division berthing compartment. It supplied power to the radar and weapons systems. It was running during a test and somehow got water in the air intake. That was exciting. :silly:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,985 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Sharpie is and will still be handy for RIGHT NOW use. Grab it and touch it to a part that's spinning in the lathe, and bam its dry.
    I imagine I'll spill more of the dykeem than I'll use...
    Changed my mind. I'm burning my Sharpies.
    Mike was right. Real, real right.
    Currently doing some trial runs on some rest parts. Got it machines and sent off to the metrology lab.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Changed my mind. I'm burning my Sharpies.
    Mike was right. Real, real right.
    Currently doing some trial runs on some rest parts. Got it machines and sent off to the metrology lab.

The metrology lab laughed in the production departments face. .017 out of wack from one side of the part to the next. Engineering has yet to nail down the tolerance, but it's likely going to be less than +\- .004. One thing production learned is once they do a set up, they will make up a BUNCH of these parts. Material cost is pennies, set up time is the killer. Once set it's a quick process at least.
    Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,318 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Only because y'all learned it, and its proper use, from us squids! :rotflmao:

As the junior service, you learned it from us.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,817 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Moving sucks. Doing it by yourself sucks worser.....

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    Have the kids help. That way they can set up their room the way they want.

Ha! The advantage to moving yourself is only you know where you are moving to.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    Headed to the rifle range this morning. Just taking the .22 bolt and .45 Colt lever guns. Definitely in need of some trigger therapy. Temps have finally dropped here a bit. It's 56 now, should be 60-65 when we get there. It's a busy public range, so it can get a little crazy. But we beat the crowds by getting there early, shoot for a couple hours and bolt. Stop someplace for lunch on the way home. Nap and clean guns this afternoon. Should be a nice day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,696 Senior Member
    Have the kids help. That way they can set up their room the way they want.

They actually signed the papers to lease a duplex back in Callaway (Panama City)

happy-dance-.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Still in the 80's during the day, maple leaves starting to turn yellow and then falling off.
    Making red velvet cake doughnuts with vanilla frosting tonight. Should be around 2 dozen more or less. And nobody here but me to eat them. :drool2::tooth: I like devils food cake mix doughnuts with milk chocolate frosting, too. And chocolate fudge, and white cake mix doughnuts with chocolate frosting. Mmmmmm! MINE, ALL MINE! :tooth:

Do you make red velvet the "right" way, or do you cheat and use food coloring?

As the junior service, you learned it from us.

USN founded 13 October 1775
    USMC founded 10 November 1775
    USN was first!
    :tooth:

And the Navy was made up of sailors, and sailorspeak was hundreds of years old before the USN was formed, so we had a leg up on that 'Book of Magic Words and Phrases! :roll2:

Do you make red velvet the "right" way, or do you cheat and use food coloring?

I'm lazy. I use a Betty Crocker cake mix. That making stuff from scratch is for the birds, except for biskits 'n' cornpone.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,875 Senior Member
    I'm lazy. I use a Betty Crocker cake mix. That making stuff from scratch is for the birds, except for biskits 'n' cornpone.

Not so. Works out alright if you get somebody else to do the makin'. :tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Leaves are changing and falling already...usually get a ton of vacationers for Columbus Day weekend that watch the change...by then, the trees will be bare...
    Support your local Scouts!
    coolgunguy wrote: »

Yep. I know a guy in California who makes Red Velvet cake from scratch - the "right" way. You haven't had Red Velvet until you had one like his!

coolgunguy wrote: »

Only me, myself, and I live here, and we all agree that very few baked goods will be done from individual ingredients. That would include biskits, cornpone, and sausage or bacon gravy, and cookies. Cookies gots to be homemade. And jerky, and apple pies.

Fleeced a widow and single mom yesterday, the one farthest from home so I wouldn't be out all day today. Today it's raining. Can't complain, the other yards didn't need mowed as they have dried up. We NEED this rain. So it's a garage day. Got most of the tools I need to start building rests for real, save for one that arrives tomorrow. Got started building some parts, and still need to build a jig to drill some holes in them. Wish I could drill at the same time I mill them, but that's simply not an option. It would take FOREVER to do it that way. And the jig should be very simple to make. I've found doing a one off item is FAR different than doing multiple items....
    Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,318 Senior Member
    USN founded 13 October 1775
    USMC founded 10 November 1775
    USN was first!
    :tooth:

And the Navy was made up of sailors, and sailorspeak was hundreds of years old before the USN was formed, so we had a leg up on that 'Book of Magic Words and Phrases! :roll2:

Only after ADM Zumwalt picked the B day of the Nav in the 1970's.
    n 1972 Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt authorized recognition of 13 October as the Navy’s birthday. In contrast to Navy Day, the Navy Birthday is intended as an internal activity for members of the active forces and reserves, as well as retirees, and dependents. Since 1972 each CNO has encouraged a Navy-wide celebration of this occasion "to enhance a greater appreciation of our Navy heritage, and to provide a positive influence toward pride and professionalism in the naval service."
    "Oh gee, I'm a Admiral, I think I'll make my birthday the day before Christ's.."

So the ADM just picked a day before the Corps because he was tired of being the junior service since there was no actual date of birth that anyone agreed on, kind of like a stray pup with fleas, and sailors never knew when it was for almost 200 years. On the other hand Marines have always know when and where the Corps was formed. In a bar, where you properly do that sort of thing.
    :hand::tooth:
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Threw the drilling jig idea out the window, ended up using the 5c collet block to hold the part, found a way to make sure it was all squared up. Got everything indicated and drilled away. Had a brain fart and didn't run the block up to my stop, and drilled the hole a bit off. Moved it against the stop, and drilled again. Now I've got an oval shaped hole. It will still work, or, if it doesn't, I've got a welder and file. Too much time invested in that part to throw it way because of a jacked up hole. But I made 4, and I'll take the bad one for myself.

Prior to that I was milling the pieces and confirmed that you must tighten the nut on a collet, because if you don't the cutter will grab the work piece, and snatch it out of the loose collet chewing up the piece in the process. Thankfully I only ruined 2" of 3/8 stock, and had to reset my cutter height. At least I didn't break tools or myself. Hard lessons are the ones best remembered I guess...
    Zee
    Only after ADM Zumwalt picked the B day of the Nav in the 1970's.
    "Oh gee, I'm a Admiral, I think I'll make my birthday the day before Christ's.."

So the ADM just picked a day before the Corps because he was tired of being the junior service since there was no actual date of birth that anyone agreed on, kind of like a stray pup with fleas, and sailors never knew when it was for almost 200 years. On the other hand Marines have always know when and where the Corps was formed. In a bar, where you properly do that sort of thing.
    :hand::tooth:

The dates I provided were the acts passed by the Continental Congress. I reject your revisionist history. :tooth:

Navy can have the earliest birthday
    we don't care as long as they give us a ride when we need one
    and they keep buying our aircraft for us.

Semper Fi
    Navy