The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,717 Senior Member
    If you have full coverage ins. your company will send an adjuster pay you & get the money from his company. It might be worth talking to your agent about it. Or pay for a rental for you .
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Borrowed me a Stihl pole saw. Got a bunch of high limbs cut around the yard today. Several more to go then I'm going around the fields at the farm to get some of them out of the way. Them saws can whoop an old mans arse.
    I am still looking forward to cutting branches on my tree line too. My plan is to use an electric saw & get my old butt in the bucket & ride up to meet the branches. Still a lot of work doing the clean up but 1/2 the work is getting up there to cut high enough.
    Wish I had a bucket truck. I'd get rid of several trees.

I would love to have the use of a bucket truck for about a month. I have some trees leaning towards the house and barn that I could take down in sections without risking damage to anything.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,227 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    If you have full coverage ins. your company will send an adjuster pay you & get the money from his company. It might be worth talking to your agent about it. Or pay for a rental for you .
    I will certainly talk to my insurance company first, I have been with them for over 20 years and they have generally treated me well.  As long as it will not increase my rates I will likely let them handle it.
    Old Ron said:
    Borrowed me a Stihl pole saw. Got a bunch of high limbs cut around the yard today. Several more to go then I'm going around the fields at the farm to get some of them out of the way. Them saws can whoop an old mans arse.
    I am still looking forward to cutting branches on my tree line too. My plan is to use an electric saw & get my old butt in the bucket & ride up to meet the branches. Still a lot of work doing the clean up but 1/2 the work is getting up there to cut high enough.

I would love to have the use of a bucket truck for about a month. I have some trees leaning towards the house and barn that I could take down in sections without risking damage to anything.
    If I was closer I would drop by & we could drop them in no time.
    I don't get along well with ladders & that is why I bought the bucket truck. I found it on local cregs list .  People thought I was silly to buy it ................then found things for me to do with it for them lol
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Old Ron said:

If I was closer I would drop by & we could drop them in no time.
    I don't get along well with ladders & that is why I bought the bucket truck. I found it on local cregs list .  People thought I was silly to buy it ................then found things for me to do with it for them lol
    I can't justify buying a bucket truck but I did finally convince myself to buy a trencher. Between running lights, electrical wires, and water lines around the property I can definitely justify buying a used walk behind trencher.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I think buying used equipment for jobs around the place makes sense. Renting for some things is ok but if it is big projects then it really is cheaper to buy.  "{Smokey " is a power co. line truck with bucket ,boom & auger . She is not purdy but gets the job done.
    And I only spent 5k for her. By the time I get my 30' street lights up she will have paid  for herself a few times over.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    3 hours sleep last night. Went to bed around 11:15. 15 minutes later weather radio went off for severe thunderstorms. Lightening and thunder about 10 minutes later. That darn weather radio went off 15 more times till 2 o'clock. I couldn't he get the dang thing to shut up. Almost grabbed the 12 gauge off the rack to shut it up. :) Finally went to sleep only to be woke up again at 5 for more thunder and lightening. Got 2.6 more inches of rain.
    cpj said:
    Why let YOUR insurance handle it? That’s what the other guys insurance company is for. 
    I will only use my insurance company as a last resort, if I do that there is a $500 deductible.  I looked up the other driver's insurance company, apparently they are part of the Traveler's Group.  Online reviews are so bad I am considering just calling a lawyer instead of contacting them myself.
    That was my first impulse, but it looks like this company has a reputation for stringing you along, not returning calls and generally just being combative and sometimes downright ugly.  I have high blood pressure as it is, I don't need the aggravation.  There is a lawyer in town who used to work for the insurance companies, now he works for the claimants.  If he can get my claim paid plus his fees with no money out of pocket for me and no headaches of dealing with the insurance company, that sounds attractive.  But I have not decided yet.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Having a lawyer handle the insurance company sometimes gets the insurance company's attention fast. If the insurance company of the other driver has a bad reputation on settling claims, the threat of a lawsuit might get them 'off their can and on the stick' to make things right.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I knew a guy whose dad had insurance with State Farm fer over 35 years........one accident and they dropped him like a hot potato.

Can't say if that is true across the board for them, but we are in the wrong racket compared to them.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited June 2018 #25483
    I see Progressive Ins cars well marked on the roads, I guess for advertising or to look like they are a Johnny On The Spot company, I dunno.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    I knew a guy whose dad had insurance with State Farm fer over 35 years........one accident and they dropped him like a hot potato.

Can't say if that is true across the board for them, but we are in the wrong racket compared to them.
    My mom had State Farm for home and auto for years.  They dropped her house insurance policy like a hot potato after Hurricane Charlie simply because she lived in Florida.  She never filed a claim with them.  She then retaliated by dropping her State Farm auto policy.  I had the same experience with Allstate.  I will never willingly do business with either company.
    tennmike said:
    Having a lawyer handle the insurance company sometimes gets the insurance company's attention fast. If the insurance company of the other driver has a bad reputation on settling claims, the threat of a lawsuit might get them 'off their can and on the stick' to make things right.
    The question is whether the lawyer will consider it to be worth his time.  No injuries involved and probably $2,000 or so in repairs, so no opportunity for a big payday for the lawyer.  I have put a preliminary feeler out to an attorney who specializes in dealing with insurance companies, we will see what he says.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,456 Senior Member
    Good read.

Actual diary and memoir first hand accounts of BEF soldiers.
    I can't change my USAA homeowners policy to more coverage, but can delete some from it since all the hurricanes. Never made a claim on it in 18-19 years now. 
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #25488
    Call Travelers first and be nice ... unless a point is reached to be firm. If you get the run around and have 3 or so brush offs call the office of the State Insurance Commissioner and see what assistance they can offer. If they can’t help you then it’s time either turn it over to your company and let them subrigate against Travelers or contact an attorney. Going thru GIECO could cost you your deductible and possible rate increases. Going thru an attorney will cost you his fees and costs.

I will suggest dealing with Travelers be careful to read any paperwork you sign and make sure they at least acknowledge there could be “unopened damage” the body shop finds when they start repairs, allow you to choose your shop and OEM parts are to be used. 

ETA: $2000 or so? Parts alone could eat that up. I’m cquessing new bumper and supports, taillight assembly and possible tailgate depending. Then throw in bodywork labor and paint labor I’d say your way low. 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    This is not the first time I have been through this.  A few years ago my wife's Chrysler Town & Country was clobbered by a Scottish tourist fresh off the plane from Scotland (probably 2 miles from the airport).  He was driving an Alamo rental car and had paid for the "call Alamo and walk away" insurance policy.  First I went to the Chrysler dealer body shop and got a quote using all OEM parts.  Then Alamo sent an adjuster out to look at the vehicle.  Alamo wrote me a check for $50 more than the quote I had from the dealer body shop.  The dealer body shop performed the repairs for the quoted amount and it was a pretty painless experience.  I intend to call Travelers before I decide to use an attorney, I just dread having a similar experience to the horror stories I have read about them.
    If the tailgate is replaced then that's around $900-$1,200, maybe more. Replacing the bed is going to be several thousand more if that is required. Getting the bumper hit 'one sided could have bent the frame at the bumper attachment point, and depending on how much bending, it could be a cut and reweld thing. That's no cheap fix collision damage. Labor will jack the price even higher.

I've had TN Farm Bureau Insurance for most of my driving life. They've been fast going after the other insurance company for the claim. Never had a problem with them, even when I've hit a few suicidal deer over the years.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

So far there are no alignment issues and the truck drives normally even at interstate speeds, so hopefully there is no frame damage.  The other driver attempted to evade to the left so it was more of a glancing blow......although if he had hit straight on the trailer hitch would have torn his entire front end off and may not have done as much damage to my truck.  As it was, my truck was driven from the accident scene and his Hyundai SUV was towed with major front end damage.  My truck has been out of production for 6 years, so I don't know how available a new replacement OEM bed will be.  I do know that salvaged beds are readily available.  I would be OK with that provided the salvaged bed was in as good of shape as mine was.  I do live in Florida, so that should help.  I am going to try to get a repair estimate on Monday prior to any insurance adjuster inspection.
    Up here if we leave our hitch in we get a $150.00 fine. I guess they want us to get as much damage as we can.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Watching California's Gold...a local TV show. Huell Howser is visiting the USS Midway in San Diego. Makes me want to visit there again.

If Ya go-----you should be able to find this plaque; we provided the last Marine EA-6B coverage for Midway:

Susan's Aunt lives in San Diego, and has never been. We owe her a visit, so we'll take her when we go. We both think that looks familiar, but we will find it when we go back.
    cpj said:
    Old Ron said:
    Up here if we leave our hitch in we get a $150.00 fine. I guess they want us to get as much damage as we can.
    Guess Id be paying fines. My
    hitch never comes out. Yes, I’m the ass hole that laughs when someone walks into my
    hitch. 
    I always remove mine because I'm the fool that bangs my shin on it.
    I do take mine out after ever use no matter how often I use it. First reason I can find way better things to do with $150.00 than give it to the city. Second is my lift gate won't go down with it in. I use the lift way more than the hitch.
    I know from experience that a good tow bumper will take a big hit without compromise and impart damage on what hit it. Same with the old now gone chrome 5mph bumpers.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,809 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Mine gets used at least weekly. I’m not taking taking it out only to put it back in a few days later 
    AAAANNNDDDD....... that's what she said
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,809 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Saw Deadpool 2 this evening. Wasnt bad. Best part was the “regeneration “ scene. 

Yes it was.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Woohoo...it's get out of jail day for my new 45 Colt wheelgun!!
    Old Ron said:
    My drop hitch on my Dodge 2500 pickup has saved me from damage to the rear of my truck a couple of times. The truck is 4WD and sits pretty high, and I haven't done anything to lift it. I extracted a radiator and 'relocated' an engine on a tailgating car with that thing. Construction zone and a wreck in front of me so I hit the brakes, but not a panic stop. The driver of the tailgating car didn't have time to react. Only 'damage' was the car knocked some rust off the drop hitch and kept the car from going into the differential on my truck.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,935 Senior Member
    Woohoo...it's get out of jail day for my new 45 Colt wheelgun!!
    Well, let's see it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.