Do you still have your first firearm?

Virginia BoyVirginia Boy MemberPosts: 213 Member
If so, what is it & when did you get it? My first is a Stevens Model 15A, .22 cal.
bolt action, single shot, that I got for my 14th birthday, in 1957. My Dad bought it at The Western Auto store, for $ 11.50,
.22 shorts were 25 cents a box.
Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    No I don't and it was a 303 Mk 4
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Yes, a Marlin Model 60 (Old style, pre last shot hold open) Got it for Christmas 1977.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    Kinda, sorta. It was my uncle's Remington 510 single shot .22, manufactured in about 1957. Him, my dad, their sisters, and probably half the kids in Mt. Vernon, Illinois learned how to shoot on that gun before I got it in about 1980 - after a local gunsmith had repaired the firing mechanism.

Couple years ago, I had a barrel liner put in and gave it back to my uncle for his kids to shoot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Yep. Sears model 41. A single shot, plunger cocked, bolt action .22 made by Marlin. Great little gun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    Yes, A Stevens bolt action repeater, I have never done any research on it.

Hey Bigslug, the MIL and her parents are from Centralia, FIL graduated from Salem H.S.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,255 Senior Member
    Yep. Remington 760 GameMaster pump action 30-06.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LOLLOL Member Posts: 41 Member
    Bolt action Ranger mdl 39 22. 9 shot with a clip thats what we called a magizine in the olden times.
    Was given to me by my uncle in 1950, I was 11yrs, he also gave dbl b 20ga.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 851 Senior Member
    Yes, pre-war model 70 in .30-'06 that my dad gave in the mid 60s. Has been reblued as it had some rusty spots, original stock was butchered by my dad and will be replaced soon. I mounted a scope on it since my eyesight is lousy and iron sights are useless for me over 50 yards, but still have the old peep sight that was on it.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,962 Senior Member
    No. Mine were stolen when I was a kid. A Ruger .44 Carbine and a Winchester 20ga pump shotgun.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Yes, my grandpa gave me his Remington 700 ADL in 30.06 when I was 14 and some day I will give it to my son.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    My first firearm was a Ruger M77 in .338 Win mag. Still got it...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    I did split the stock. The "new" one came off of MKK41's 30/06.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Yup, it is a Remington model 66 .22 rifle with the brown nylon stock and the white diamond. Dad presented it to me and told me he was going to teach me to shoot with it. That was in 1976 on my 3rd birthday.

The Mak90 was the first rifle that I ever bought myself and I actually gave that one to dad as he wanted an AK at the time and couldn't swing it as money was tight. Thought it was only fitting after he gave me the Remington and taught me to shoot. The Beretta model 84 that I am really kicking myself for selling was the 1st handgun I ever bought when I turned 21. I WILL have another one of those someday.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Yes I do. It's a Stevens single shot 410.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    Yup. It's a Winchester M70 Sporter LT in 7mm Rem. Mag. Still has the original (when I bought it) Simmons 3 x 10 scope on it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Yep, Christmas 1981 (I was 12 years old), Dad presented me with this Glenfield 75 .22.

GlenfieldModel7522LR2.jpg

The Monty-Ward's version of the Marlin Model 60,"carbine-ized" to a 9-shot, 18" barreled tube-fed .22.

Since then the original sling (a well-worn 1" military-style leather) has been replaced with this el-cheapo nylon camo version when the leather started to rot after being stored off the rifle a while - sling swivels changed out to QD Uncle Mike's, and new scope (1.5-4.5 Bushnell Sportview) replaced the original small-tube .22 scope. Internals replaced to use modern bolt and ammo feed throat when the original became gouged and jammed nearly every other shot.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    Mossberg 320B .22 single shot. When I was 13, I swept floors and dusted/ cleaned the guns in the rack of a LGS on Saturdays for it........ Kept working there on Saturdays for ammo,,, When I was 16, I decided to camo it. Now I need to either restore or at least strip the paint off....

Used to have a Japan made 4x tasco on it. I honestly do not know where it went......

One of 2 guns I've had that are very accurate with CCI Stingers

DSC02885.jpg?t=1242104136
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Yup, a Marlin .22 bolt action. Still shoot it regularly too. A real tack driver, I can keep all 7 rounds in a ragged hole at 25 yards and make 1/2" 3 shot groups at 50 yards. That opens up to an inch if I try a 7 shot group (full magazine). My Dad took me to Service Merchandise when I was about 10 to pick out a rifle. He was surprised I didn't pick a semi auto. Don't really know why- I just looked at them and knew this was the one. Soon after, he bought my sister and I a single shot 20 ga., NEF I think, which was my first deer gun. She has that one now. That thing was way too light, kicked so hard it almost knocked me over! I had no problem switching to a Marlin .44 mag a few years later. I'll have both my Marlins til I die or have someone to hand them down to.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    I did, until I got divorced in 2001. Then the Wicked Witch of the North took it along with a bunch more up to Missouri with her. But it was a Piece of Crap bolt action Mossberg 410, so I don't exactly miss it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    No, but it was a bolt action single shot .22, bought it in 49 or 50 from Sykes hardware in Little river ( miami) I think it was a "Jefferson" . I think i paid $7.00 by cashing in coke. rc. and pepsi bottles for $.o2 each. pop sykes would sell me .22 shells for 2C each.
    jay
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    My first BB gun I have no idea, it was a Red Ryder, of course!

My first 22 was a Marlin 60, but it was a hand me down, and it got handed back up eventually. Whatever. First big game rifle I hunted with was a 1903 30-06, which is currently sitting in a gunsafe where I no longer live, again, hand me down. MY first big game rifle that was all mine was a R700 .270 ADL (yup, a 270, I said it) it was a gift. No longer have that either, scope bit me, so I was done with that rifle.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I did, until I got divorced in 2001. Then the Wicked Witch of the North took it along with a bunch more up to Missouri with her. But it was a Piece of Crap bolt action Mossberg 410, so I don't exactly miss it.

How exactly did she get your guns? Why didn't they 'grow feet' before this all went ugly?
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,711 Senior Member
    Model 37 Ithaca 20 gauge pump. improved cylinder
    Still have it.
    Got it when I was 5 or 6.
    It knocked me down the first time I shot it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I bet it did, those 37s kick pretty good, even in 20 ga.
    My brother's first shotgun was an Ithica Featherweight 20ga and yes, it kicked. Unfortunately, it was stolen as well.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hey Bigslug, the MIL and her parents are from Centralia, FIL graduated from Salem H.S.

Yup. . .been through Salem & Kell many times. Grandma lived in Texico before the final infirmities set in. Gotta get back to aunt's property for whitetail control one of these days. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    bought my first gun when I was in the Air Force paid $83 for it at K Mart and it sits in my gun safe.

100_4973.jpg
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Got my first gun back in 1963. Uncle gave it to me. A .22 ss bolt rifle, a Ranger I think.. I don't have it now,its long gone...Shortly after that the same year I got my grandpa single barrel 16 stevens. I don't know and cannot verify what year it is but stamped on the top of the barrel is Patented Aug, 1913. I still have it. I don't shoot it. The first rifle I ever bought was a .22 lever ithica in 1973 from a friend,gave 40.00 dollars for it... The first hand gun I ever bought was an over/under .38 derringer from a bootlegger in NC for 30.00 dollars.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Yes I do, an early AMT Hardballer that I bought from a friend of a friend when I was... umm... younger.

It's one of the first batch built when they were still in Arcadia and Harry Sanford (of AutoMag fame) was in charge, and it's tops on my "never sell" list. Taught me all about 1911s and lit that fire in me.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    And I still have my second firearm, a Ruger Service Six in .357 that I bought from the gentleman that gave me my first job out of high school. He had used it to work up hunting loads, and it rattled like a bucket of bolts, so he gave it to me for a pittance.

I called Ruger and asked how much it would be to fix it, and they told me to send it in for an estimate, which I did. Within two weeks, they sent it back, fully rebuilt and tight as the proverbial bank vault, no charge! Still just as tight today, 30 years later.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member