Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

So..... how often does the Gubbermint lie for 'our protection'???

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,664 Senior Member
I remember when this crash happened. I was watching the news after work at 2 or 3 am. They had an eye witness who was a Vietnam veteran. He was a pilot and did two combat tours. He said he was flying the night 800 got shot down. He saw the missile fired, saw the contrail, and saw it hit the plane. He also commented that he knew exactly what a AA missile trail looks like....... He saw plenty in Nam.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/twa-flight-800-crash-investigation-ntsb-141624708.html
Jim Speer, an accident investigator at the time of the crash for the Airline Pilots Association, who sifted through the recovered wreckage in a hangar, said he discovered holes consistent with those that would be formed by a high-energy blast in the right wing. He requested it be tested for explosives. When the test came back positive, he said, he was "physically removed" from a room by two CIA agents.
"These investigators were not allowed to speak to the public or refute any comments made by their superiors and/or NTSB and FBI officials about their work at the time of the official investigation," a news release announcing the documentary said. "They waited until after retirement to reveal how the official conclusion by the (NTSB) was falsified and lay out their case."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Answer to your question; one word. Continuously.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I doubt this was a cover-up. Whenever something tragic happens the government uses it as massive power grab. If 800was shot down, it would've given the Fed an excuse to seal the waters near airports and harass boaters, fishermen, and families on beaches.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    There was plenty of speculation that the crash was the result of an Air National Guard training mission that launched a missile by mistake. I remember all the initial rumors, and how quickly they were hushed up. Suddenly, it became priority one to find an onboard malfunction, no matter how far-fetched, that could have caused the midair blowup. The theory about a malfunctioning in-tank heater that they finally blamed for the explosion was so off the wall it was ridiculous. Even a virtually empty tank wouldn't have had enough oxygen in it to support a fire- - - -it would have been full of aviation kerosene fumes with virtually no oxygen. I have welded on a partially-full gasoline tank with an acetylene torch- - - -just run exhaust gas into the tank to displace the oxygen. The gas fumes are a LOT more volatile than jet fuel, and they don't burn or explode!
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I doubt this was a cover-up. Whenever something tragic happens the government uses it as massive power grab. If 800was shot down, it would've given the Fed an excuse to seal the waters near airports and harass boaters, fishermen, and families on beaches.

The witness I saw on the news was a Light Bird in the reserves. No way was he wrong. I woke up the next day expecting the missile strike to be all over the news........ Nothin, nadda.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    IIRC, there was a Navy exercise going on offshore at that time. Looked a lot like a Tartar class missile trail from surface to the airplane to me from the photos and videos on the news at the time. I got to see a lot of Talos, Tartar, and Terrier launches at those fun filled weeks every year at Gitmo.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Back in the early 1950's it was pretty common for USAF fighter pilots to do simulated intercepts on commercial airliners, always with the pilot's permission, of course. What finally got the practice banned was a hotshot F-86 pilot who put flashbulbs in the tubes of his rocket launcher pack and terrorized a DC-6 full of people when the bulbs started popping as he got close. I'm wondering if somebody did a "simulated" firing track on the 747 and launched one by mistake?
    Jerry
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    IIRC, there was a Navy exercise going on offshore at that time. Looked a lot like a Tartar class missile trail from surface to the airplane to me from the photos and videos on the news at the time. I got to see a lot of Talos, Tartar, and Terrier launches at those fun filled weeks every year at Gitmo.

The Navy accidentally shooting down the aircraft is the only thing that sense in the way of a cover-up. That would explain the validity of the witness jbp-ohio saw on the news and it explains why the gov't would lie to Americans.

I seriously doubt a terrorist act would be hidden. But it was Clinton at the helm. Anything is possible.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    When I was working, I was initially shocked the first time I heard an SES suggest that lying was acceptable when dealing with a crisis. In later years...the shock disappeared and I came to expect that some newly minted SES would come up with "Why don't we just tell them....." Luckily, for most of the latter part of my career. I worked for USMC Bird Colonels who would not hesitate to clear a staff meeting while he went a "DI" on the offender....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    1996..........was not Clinton running for reelection?
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Can't remember what program; Discovery Ch? However, does anyone remember when an hour long program was devoted to convince the sheeple that it was "in fact" a meteor that struck the airliner?
    No real surprise though, wasn't too long after that that the indoctrin...er..ah,..(cough).."educational" channel blamed global warming on cow farts.....or is it called climate change now?...sheez, for the life of me I can't seem to remember if it's supposed to be getting warmer or colder...they keep changing their lies...er...ah....minds....yeah, minds, that's what I meant.